GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Major tranny work at 30k! 6MT

Jever

Ready to race!
So 4th gear starts to grind when I shift into it, and it kept getting worse so I take it in. The dealer confirms and they droped the trannny the other day and cracked it open. they are going to be replacing 4th syncro and a few other things. Sure is unsettling to see what happens after the warranty expires!

So 4th gear starts to grind when I shift into it, and it kept getting worse so I take it in. The dealer confirms and they droped the trannny the other day and cracked it open. they are going to be replacing 4th syncro and a few other things. Sure is unsettling to see what happens after the warranty expires!

your honest driving style please?

FNR32

Ready to race!
your honest driving style please?

Exactly. If you've beat on it then im not terribly surprised. Also, IIRC we have warranty on the drivetrain past the 32K miles.

although I must say, the tranny doesn't like super cold starts... takes a while for those triple syncros on the first 3 gears to heat up and lube a bit...

McQueen77

Banned
Aren't these kind of tranny problems covered under the 50k mile powertrain warranty or do they see it as 'user wear and tear'?

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
I have to admit it does bug the crap outta me that he tranny take 20+ min to get running smoothly under 40 degrees.

I have to admit it does bug the crap outta me that he tranny take 20+ min to get running smoothly under 40 degrees.

I really like to think it's because the tranny is "heavy duty" :laugh:

But in reality, I find that the gears engage much easier when there is a full 38 psi in the tires. Seriously... And in cold weather, air pressures will drop overnight...

ask the service guy if there is a double cone syncro on 4th gear. I know we have triple cone syncros on 1st thru 3rd....

thanks!

Jever

Ready to race!
I drive the car pretty g rated and I know how to drive a stick, as I am a truck driver. The thing just went to pot on its own. The dealer said parts alone were around a $1000 dollars. glad its under warranty!

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I'm a manual noob and this is my first manual.

I hope I don't get screwed down the road :(