GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

March Madness

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
With the way things are playing out...dare I say Duke has a chance? I'd personally love to see it, since my bracket is wrecked. If Duke wins, my wife wins the pot...lol. Otherwise, I'm out. Regardless, it has been a while, there the last #1 team in the tourney, and they're playing the best ball they have in a few years. :shrugs:

fuck it, GO BUTLER!!! i want to see it. it will throw the college basketball world in disarray. my cats looked like the freshmen they are tonight. congrats to WVU, you boys played great and i cant recall the last time i have seen a team shoot the 3 that great in a half. gl the rest of the way

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
Alright well obviously I am eating my words. But I will say that WVU did nothing to actually defend all those 3's UK missed - the vast majority of them were wide open. If UK shoots anyone near their season average from the line and from 3 they win by 20+. Can't win if you don't score, though.

You can't think like that because then I could say if WVU hit some of the two they missed they would have been up by a lot more at half.

Calipari can't coach. He prepares them to go pro but doesnt prepare them to excel at the college level. They stopped doing what they do best, and that is dribble drive. Calipari didnt know what to do with the 1-3-1 zone when the shots werent falling. If kentucky were to hit some threes then wvu would have given them pressure on the perimeter. But they never did so there was no need to defend the 3. Kentucky didnt know what it was in for. They played some lollipops compared to wvu and got burned big time.

Absolutely agree. The kids lost their composure when they could not hit shots and were playing from behind. Wall was the only one playing with any urgency whereas the rest of the kids were whining from missed calls and inexcusable turnovers.

I was happy to see Calipari lose, he bailed on his previous team when things outside of coaching got dicey, same with Pitino.

With the way things are playing out...dare I say Duke has a chance? I'd personally love to see it, since my bracket is wrecked. If Duke wins, my wife wins the pot...lol. Otherwise, I'm out. Regardless, it has been a while, there the last #1 team in the tourney, and they're playing the best ball they have in a few years. :shrugs:

Duke always had a chance, they were a number one seed in the "easiest" bracket.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, just saying that because Dukes been notorious for going out in the early rounds the last few years. Where as this year they're sitting good and have a chance to pull it off.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Duke always had a chance, they were a number one seed in the "easiest" bracket.

That is such a ridiculous statement. Maybe they had the easiest bracket when things were drawn up, but that's not how it played out. Kansas lost to UNI. Syracuse lost to Butler. Nova lost to St. Mary's. OSU lost to Tenn. Gtown lost to Ohio.

All of these top seeds lost to lesser opponents, and if you had seen those match-ups when the brackets were first drawn up, hardly anyone would have picked any of those upsets. Duke has played the highest possible seed in every game, except tonights. And we all know that Nova was incredibly overrated and Baylor really is the best team that Duke could have played in the E8.

When its all said and done, Duke walked the toughest path of any of the 1 seeds, except maybe UK, and is still hanging around. Enough about this "easiest path" to the final four. There is no easy path.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
duke is going to lose against wvu

Is that statement based on anything other than what you hope will happen? WVU has absolutely no answer for Duke's size. Ebanks and Singler will battle all night, but the boards go to Duke, and the guard play goes to Duke heavily. It'll be a good game, but Duke will win on their defense and rebounding, just like the did tonight.

applemonkey

I've got hoes
Is that statement based on anything other than what you hope will happen? WVU has absolutely no answer for Duke's size. Ebanks and Singler will battle all night, but the boards go to Duke, and the guard play goes to Duke heavily. It'll be a good game, but Duke will win on their defense and rebounding, just like the did tonight.

no size? have you seen wvu play? They are long and athletic, and if bryant plays they will have another offensive weapon. The only problem i see is containing zoubek on the boards. But other than that, this Duke's size advatage you are talking about doesnt exist. Also wvu plays much better defense than duke, so no advatage there either. Now if singler gets going and scheyer stays hot, then there will be a problem. But other than that i see a tight game and butler will hit the game winner. Also joe mazulla has been playing with ALOT more confidence and is a much better defender than bryant. So that was a statement based on something.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
also the refs were all over baylor...they couldnt buy a call on duke

That's crap that all the anti-duke people have been spewing all night. The foul situation was heavily in favor of Baylor until they started fouling to extend the game. Udoh got away with murder underneath the basket, grabbing and pushing people all over the place. The only reason he didn't get called was because for all his cheating he never actually got the ball so the refs said play on. There were missed calls on both sides, as there always are, but there was no apparent bias. The ref's didn't put the ball in the hoop or the rebounds in Duke hands. Both teams had one player foul out, and no other player's minutes were seriously affected by foul trouble.

The thing abut people who complain about officiating is that they never can fathom that it might be bad both ways. I thought the officiating in the UK/WVU game was atrocious, but it didn't favor either team. They just missed stuff. Believe it or not, there's no conspiracy, the refs really do call it like they see it and try to do it fairly. And by and large, they tend miss calls equally on either side of the floor.

As for the size issue, Duke play 3 guys 6'10" and taller, and has a reserve 6"10 in Ryan Kelly. Not to mention that Singler and Thomas are 6'8" and Scheyer is 6'5". They are longer than WVU at every position on the floor, and much longer on the bench. They are the better rebounding team, the better ball handling team and the better coached team. Duke may not have an answer for Butler, but WVU won't have an answer for Smith and Zoubek, who will be the difference in this game.

And if you think Bryant will be a factor at all you're kidding yourself. He sucks, plain and simple. He's never been good, and all this talk of him being hurt lately is just smoke and mirrors.

Look at his stats: he's averaging 2 points per game in his last 6 games before getting injured, and has an assist to turnover ratio of less than 1.5. He's tiny at 6'2" compared to the guys that will be defending him, and he shoots 37% from the field. He's a liability in this game. Better for him to sit on the bench and let someone else take his minutes. Mazzula played really well against UK, and nearly had a triple double against Duke his sophomore year. Huggins is a fool if he lets Bryant play anything more than a cursory role in this game. And Huggins is no fool.

Last edited:

applemonkey

I've got hoes
ryan kelly has been playing 3.5 min a game in the tournament...i highly doubt he will be a factor. Bryant is their second leading 3 point shooter...but i agree that mazulla should start. Singler will have to rely on the jump shot in this zone. Personally i dont see this being a romp i see this as being a low scoring game set in half court offense which plays right into wvu strengths.

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
Great win for Duke, glad to see them in the Final Four again!

And Udoh was getting away with murder during the game today. Be it clearing players out to go around them with elbows or more pushing than normal on the defensive end. And then he pulls the soccer player overreaction when Smith tries to fight through his "moving" screens. I am glad the officials were not falling for it.

And Baylor might have had a chance if they learned that little fundamental called boxing out and not given up 20+ offensive rebound.

With Dukes win I am at 98% in about 86,000th place on espn.com challenge.