GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Midnight JDM/European street battle: EVO X vs STI vs GTI

JohnMatrix

Banned
After the intense aversion in response to the my last very brief road battle with an R35 GTR I agree in every sense that it was too early in the night to undertake a street battle with a GTR of that magnitude. What transpired a couple of nights ago is a lot more sedate. I will attempt to keep this as short and succinct as possible.

I was cruising Kingsford smith drive this weekend around 12 midnight. I pulled up at the lights just before the Cooksley St BP servo. In my rear vision mirror, I could see two cars coming hard around the bend and toward the red light, not sure, whether they were coming from either the inner city bypass or the VW Newstead direction. A blue EVO X and what I think was a white 06/07 STi with the ugly grill rolled up at the lights, Evo first, STi behind the EVO.

Just before the lights went out, I could hear the revs rise in both cars so I turned the LC off and brought the revs up to 2200rpm for maximum attack. The lights went out and I got the jump on the EVO as I took off earlier maybe half a second earlier with a good launch. After 20/30 meters, he got a car length ahead with its all wheel drive. I chopped in front of the STi as he was lagging a fair way behind us, most likely not giving it everything off the lights. I was following the EVO straight lining the Kingsford Smith drive corners flat-out until we hit a red light at Racecourse road. I pulled up alongside the EVO and put the window down. Two Asian guys in the EVO had theirs down and said them and their mate in the STI were heading out to the Brisbane entertainment centre. I told them i would follow them out there, as I was heading up to Redcliff/Deception Bay for a cruise anyway. The EVO took the lead while I stayed behind the STI.

We get up to the Gateway motorway on ramp and the EVO and STI gun it, I had the GTI in 3rd and flicked it back to second. Surprisingly the Revo stage 2 (got a miltek down pipe/cold air intake/ a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE55S tires and stage 2 program last week) stayed with them despite losing 2 to 3 car lengths once we passed the big numbers for a brief moment. Following both cars hitting the limiter in top gear on the motorway straights, we peeled off at the Bicentennial Rd exit. Riding shot gun behind them both I was on the limit staying with them through the first and second roundabout. What was shocking was how close we all were, although you never know how good a driver the other guys were. The GTI has phenomenal grip for a FWD hatch as they did not seem to make any ground on me through the curbs. The guys in the EVO pulled into the outside lane and let the STI into the lead on the last straight just before the last Holme Av roundabout.

We went back in the opposite direction with the STI in the lead and were straight lining the curbs, not sure the actual speed but the GTI felt close to the limit, there was nothing in it on the way back in the opposite direction as I was gaining more confidence and the semi slick Bridgestone’s were heating up. It was point and squirt, point and squirt and hard on the brakes through the next two roundabouts. Foot flat to the floor on the exits and the revs to the redline on each gear change. There is only 600/700 meters between the two middle roundabouts so you cannot really get up to any high speeds in the GTI, maybe just on the limiter in 3rd gear. The heart pounding bloody hard as I knew if it went wrong, it was going to go wrong in a significant way. We got to the last roundabout under the gateway motorway and I took the lead from the STI on the outside as the STI slowed right down, the pace may have been too hot for him/her did not see their faces. We go back in the opposite direction with me in the lead in front of the EVO. I go through the second roundabout with the EVO glued to my rear. On to the next short straight and I’m approximately car length ahead, virtually neck and neck, me in the left lane, the EVO in the right. By this point, the STI was far back and I could not see his lights reflecting in my mirrors. I was just in front of the EVO going into the third roundabout. There is only room for really one car through there on the limit even though the whole stretch of road and roundabouts are two lanes. It was a question of who was going to lift first. Approaching the curbs hard my feelings of self-preservation kicked in and I let him through just on entry. I knew he had the edge in traction and I was not going to try and defy the laws of physics. After letting the EVO through the third curb and powering over the crest of the hill on the last straight the EVO slowed down. I could see a sweeping truck coming through the last roundabout 300/400 meters away at Holme Av and we both aborted the battle. It was the right thing to do as pace was getting to hot and the brakes felt like they were starting to go off by this time. I thought it would be safer to preserve the car as I did not want my wife being upset the car needed new front brake pads again( she does not know I drive the car reasonably hard at times). The guys in the EVO and STI peeled off onto Sandgate road while I went home through Virginia. Just as I was passing Virginia McDonalds, I saw a police car going passed me in the opposite direction toward Redcliff. By a twist of luck, I got out of there at just the right time with all my points intact.

mister_duck

In search of Sunrise
Car(s)
07 VW Golf TDi

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
just as well coz that cop was looking for you guys. you should seriously consider writing novels : )

606gti

black sheep
maybe you should just film it and put it on youtube if ur into that sort of thing..

NSJ202

Banned
It seems your just trolling now

JohnMatrix

Banned
just as well coz that cop was looking for you guys. you should seriously consider writing novels : )

Not really sure, but it was pretty close. I was very impressed with how the GTI performed against the AWD EVO and STI given there 20k or more difference in the price tag.

Burgs

Silver Nugget
Car(s)
2008 VW Golf GTI
Are you writing the script for Fast and Furious 5? I am seriously hoping the Authorities get a read of your mystical road battles.

Whats next? a 3 lane battle with a Lambo and Porsche 911 to 300?

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
willl you be my father?

Purg

Ready to race!
Not reading all that but I can just imagine it's another example of you being a douche on a public road...?

Please, stay in Brisbane.