GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire on all cylinders, but mostly on #1

dingurt1

[UPDATE] Misfire on all cylinders, but mostly on #1

So prior to my downpipe and stage 2 APR tune, I didn't have any issues with misfiring. Once the S2 was done, if I slowly roll into the throttle and build a bit of boost, the car violently loses power for a second and keeps on like normal... feels like someone taps the brakes. Sometimes it does it a few times on a partial throttle pull, and sometimes it does it on a WOT pull.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
So prior to my downpipe and stage 2 APR tune, I didn't have any issues with misfiring. Once the S2 was done, if I slowly roll into the throttle and build a bit of boost, the car violently loses power for a second and keeps on like normal... feels like someone taps the brakes. Sometimes it does it a few times on a partial throttle pull, and sometimes it does it on a WOT pull.

Any ideas?

I just found this, wondering if this could be why. If so, you're just not gonna be able to get them to fix it under warranty as the problem would not present itself once you go back to stock. You can try get a JB Stage 1 and get Map 6 when it comes out end of this month and you can adjust boost by RPM. Or try and free up your exhaust flow more if you just have a downpipe like me, maybe go full exhaust.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
OP, have you spoken to the tuner who installed the downpipe and flashed your car? I wonder if they flashed you with the wrong file.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
What fuel are you running? You may want to have your coils checked as well.

dingurt1

PRND, I installed the downpipe myself and my local VW dealer did the tune. I'm pretty confident they installed the correct tune.

RjRacing, 93.

The car is with them now so they can do more diagnostics. The only thing that I'm not sure about is when it does the bucking, the wastegate or diverter valve is fluttering like crazy. I know it's supposed to flutter some, but this thing sounds pissed. When I installed the APR intake, I could hear it a lot more than stock, but it was only S1 at that point.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
My friends did that on the UM tune. They had to make some adjustments and reflash. The downpipe was causing problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Adjustments in the tune?
Yes. They had to change some of the parameters because of the free flowing down pipe. He was getting surges and shudders under hard acceleration.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
That's very strange, maybe the plug was just burnt out and half working?

SamG

Has there been any further updates? What caused the spark plug failure?

A guy in SA had the same issue, dealer fixed the plug. Car started missing again and caused piston damage. Apparently an issue with fueling/running lean.

skian

Ready to race!
Has there been any further updates? What caused the spark plug failure?

A guy in SA had the same issue, dealer fixed the plug. Car started missing again and caused piston damage. Apparently an issue with fueling/running lean.
What tune was this with?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if the car had a knock event and the piston smacked the spark plug just right.