GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Golf R, outside rearview mirror blinding how to solve.

Jeremy777

Car(s)
MK7.5 GOLF R
It really bothers me, it's really uncomfortable when I'm driving at night, I can't even see the car coming in the back, AND I don't know how to fix it.
微信图片_20211111132029.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If you don't have BSM (although I assume you do, dash looks like you have DAP) you can buy blue tinted aspherical glass for the mirrors. Other than that, some other cars are just at the perfect height to blind you... darker window tint helps, depending on what you can get away with.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The OEM auto-dimming mirror on the Autobahn does a very good job of handling blinding lights directly behind you. I swapped my side mirror glass for OEM Euro clear aspherical heated/BSM glass from e-acca. Most of the time, the tailgater's lights are in the aspherical portion, and the mirror deflects it. I don't have my seat all the way back, though.

Jeremy777

Car(s)
MK7.5 GOLF R
The OEM auto-dimming mirror on the Autobahn does a very good job of handling blinding lights directly behind you. I swapped my side mirror glass for OEM Euro clear aspherical heated/BSM glass from e-acca. Most of the time, the tailgater's lights are in the aspherical portion, and the mirror deflects it. I don't have my seat all the way back, though.
Thank you bro . but.....where can I buy it? I see it on ebay but I'm worried about the quality. does this mirror have heating and blind spots? like the original mirror?

Jeremy777

Car(s)
MK7.5 GOLF R
The blue tinted glass is life changing. I upgraded to this on my mk4, and if I find a suitable replacement for the mk7, it's definitely on my list of to-dos. I've additionally considered tint for my rearview mirror.
Is it enough to just replace the lens? don’t need to replace the entire rearview mirror? another lexus in our house will automatically become anti-glare at night, and even the lights of a large truck behind it will not make people feel dazzling.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
I thought blue tinted glass is only effective against halogen based headlights because they emit light near the red end of the visible spectrum. Blue tint absorbs red light.

Window tint helps or you can retrofit side dimming mirrors from a Passat. I forgot which model.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
It won't work, this is a problem with the mirror. so...... I think it should be to replace a lens or rearview mirror with similar functions.(y)
Guy we drive the same car, I had this happen once and I literally moved the mirror a bit, problem solved. Mirrors are mirrors, there's no problem with them when angled properly, which yours isn't

Edit: The problem here is user error, not the mirrors

Last edited:

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
If the car behind me sends out a car taller than mine, this picture will happen. Of course, if a car from the side is in my blind spot, there will also be such glare.

If that's from the car behind you (in the photo), your mirror is angled too far in. If the mirror is properly adjusted, you shouldn't be blinded from behind unless the car behind has tires on the painted lines. I've had similar issues before and after a driving school course (pre-internet) the instructor taught us the "proper" way to have you mirrors. Haven't had any issues in years, and certainly not with this car.

Sit in driving position, lean your head over an inch or two, then move the left mirror out until you can only barely see the rear fender flare, then angle down ~10% BELOW the horizon. There are loads of youtube videos (insurance comp, enthusiests, dealers, etc) on how to properly adjust your mirrors.

If you are already in the position, then the issue is something other than the mirror and changing them will not help.