GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I might be lying to myself today, but putting the seeds of crazy out into the air means I still have a shot at doing some dumb shit down the line.

The only logical way to do this would be leave your wife’s atlas alone, buy a 3.6VR and swap it in your GTI.

Swapping both isn’t a good idea, at all.

Actually buying a additional Mk7, to do said swap would make the most sense.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Dude - you're lying to yourself, you're lying to us. You are not going to swap engines in two almost brand new cars - one from another at that, without any mounting kits etc... Both of these cars would be out of commission for months, unless you are a super crazy fabricator - but you're most likely not, odds are you work in IT. Enjoy the air ride.

Fixed it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It's funny. I can find my old posts on a Celica forum from when I was 19 with a 1995 Celica. And just post after post of "Oh I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna do this etc..." and none of it happened 🤣 You can still see it all the time, even around here. Luckily, I'm at a point where I can (and do) actually do that stuff now. It may have taken over a year (you can find posts from me talking about a turbo swap in summer of 2020), but it finally happened!

I’ve done everything I set out to do, short of the LSD installation. It’ll happen eventually, I’m just dreading it & holding out to find a cheap used trans to build so my car isn’t on the lift for the whole project.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’ve done everything I set out to do, short of the LSD installation. It’ll happen eventually, I’m just dreading it & holding out to find a cheap used trans to build so my car isn’t on the lift for the whole project.
Don't forget to get some more 2x4's out of your garage wall to help with installation. 🤣

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Don't forget to get some more 2x4's out of your garage wall to help with installation. 🤣

CRINGE lol

My hesitation isn’t in performing the work, it’s that I don’t rebuild VW transmissions regularly so I know I’ll end up waiting on parts/tooling/ect at some point.

It’s not the type of job you rush, so doing the transmission build on a bench with unlimited time would be more fun that watching FedEx tracking waiting on whatever while dreading using the suburban as a commuter in the meantime lol

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It's funny. I can find my old posts on a Celica forum from when I was 19 with a 1995 Celica. And just post after post of "Oh I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna do this etc..." and none of it happened 🤣 You can still see it all the time, even around here. Luckily, I'm at a point where I can (and do) actually do that stuff now. It may have taken over a year (you can find posts from me talking about a turbo swap in summer of 2020), but it finally happened!
Was it the 3SFE? God I hated that motor.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I've learned over the years to modify, but keep as much stock as you can. OEM parts are typically better than aftermarket as far as engineering and longevity. Mod to a reasonable level, keep as many OEM parts as you can, replace what breaks with aftermarket.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
At some point, if this car jumps the shark, and go xs, I'd consider a hybrid, R gears in my GTI trans, maybe a custom set of coilovers, bigger tires.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
On this day I make a VOW to get fake (ahem, alternative) engine noise one way or another... exhaust mounted speaker (from the GTD with Sport and Sound package, among other VAG cars) or via the windshield mounted Soundaktor. My other unwise retrofits have ultimately happened. Now that this one is out there in the universe it's just a matter of time :ROFLMAO:.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Things you do twice.
Read the part numbers wrong an ended up getting another steal front subframe instead of the alloy one . Good news got a very good deal on a low K alloy subrame .
Fitted Hardrace front lower control arms which have a wider track than stock , good thing the company I got them from replaced them with SuperPro arms ,still not fitted .
Replaced HPA catted down pipe with a Trackslag & Gesi UHF cat Excellent .
Fitted Vogland lowing springs , not very good . Now MCA Suspension coilovers great value and excellent ride.
Getting my second custom made rear muffler fitted today .

Next week swapping out the Littco L500 with Turbo Technics V5

Cheers
Mal

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Things you do twice.
Read the part numbers wrong an ended up getting another steal front subframe instead of the alloy one . Good news got a very good deal on a low K alloy subrame .
Fitted Hardrace front lower control arms which have a wider track than stock , good thing the company I got them from replaced them with SuperPro arms ,still not fitted .
Replaced HPA catted down pipe with a Trackslag & Gesi UHF cat Excellent .
Fitted Vogland lowing springs , not very good . Now MCA Suspension coilovers great value and excellent ride.
Getting my second custom made rear muffler fitted today .

Next week swapping out the Littco L500 with Turbo Technics V5

Cheers
Mal

Curious about the Gesi Trackslag. Did you get an exhaust to do that

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I refuse to leave 2nd gear on cold mornings until the cars warmed up. Helps it warm up faster. 😬