GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Anyone have an idea when ebay is having that sale again for like 15% off of stuff? Need to grab an IC possibly some tires but would like to do on the coupon.

Edit: Not a frequent ebay person, I read online they tend to come at the end of of each Quarter, so that would mean they should be one for this month JUNE

Last edited:

cracksilog

Passed Driver's Ed
So I’d like to put a front splitter on my mk7.5. But it would be useless unless I get a rear diffuser and/or spoiler extension right? Or can I just have a front splitter without any of that and not ruin the aerodynamics of the car? This is for a daily driver. I’d just like to know the minimum amount of aero needed to not mess anything up in addition to a front splitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So I’d like to put a front splitter on my mk7.5. But it would be useless unless I get a rear diffuser and/or spoiler extension right? Or can I just have a front splitter without any of that and not ruin the aerodynamics of the car? This is for a daily driver. I’d just like to know the minimum amount of aero needed to not mess anything up in addition to a front splitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can just have one or the other. Don't need both

dicec2

Hello everyone! Just got a 2016 GTI SE DSG. Loving it already! I’ve searched and I haven’t seen anything about this, but I’m looking to move my brake pedal to the left and maybe forward a couple of inches. I use my left foot to brake and the pedals are crazy close to each other in the stock configuration. Does anyone know a way or mod to move the pedal? Thanks!

cb1111

No more manuals on the European configurator? Only DSG, is the manual discontinued in EU?
Emission requirements prompted this. The 6 speed was still there a couple of weeks ago. No more two door either.

It is kind of funny. Up to a couple of years ago, finding an auto in Europe was difficult amd renting one was expensive. Now you have a hard time finding a manual.

You could get a really good price on rentals from the states because Avis and Budget obviously didn't get the email. You could rent an auto sub-compact (Polo) on the website for pickup at the airport, but when you got there the smallest auto they had was an E class or a 5 series - so you got that for the Polo price.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Emission requirements prompted this. The 6 speed was still there a couple of weeks ago. No more two door either.

It is kind of funny. Up to a couple of years ago, finding an auto in Europe was difficult amd renting one was expensive. Now you have a hard time finding a manual.

You could get a really good price on rentals from the states because Avis and Budget obviously didn't get the email. You could rent an auto sub-compact (Polo) on the website for pickup at the airport, but when you got there the smallest auto they had was an E class or a 5 series - so you got that for the Polo price.

I can still spec 2 door GTI/TCR/R in Sweden but only DSG and manuals are slow to sell used so i guess the market is not there anymore.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have an 18 SE PP. All of a sudden my front tires were cupping from the middle of the tire to the inside edge. Both fronts wearing the same. The dealer says I need a 4 wheel alignment to correct it. I have automatic collision braking also and VW says that I will have to get the front camera calibrated because of the alignment. Cost is $840. Is it necessary to calibrate the camera?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
No more manuals on the European configurator? Only DSG, is the manual discontinued in EU?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is temporary while they get ready to launch the mk8. They did the same thing with the Jetta right before the launched the new one. They eliminate option packages as they wind down production to use up what they have left.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I wouldn't be surprised if this is temporary while they get ready to launch the mk8. They did the same thing with the Jetta right before the launched the new one. They eliminate option packages as they wind down production to use up what they have left.

I wonder if they will simplify the US production in Mexico for the end of the MK7 run.

Jadis

Oil level is about 1/3 of the way above minimum on the dipstick. Is that fine? Or add more until it's at the max mark? I'm thinking it's fine but my first oil change on the mk7 and want to be sure I'm doing it right.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Oil level is about 1/3 of the way above minimum on the dipstick. Is that fine? Or add more until it's at the max mark? I'm thinking it's fine but my first oil change on the mk7 and want to be sure I'm doing it right.

Minimum = minimum..... If its above that its fine. Just don't fill it over maximum.

Last edited:

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Have an 18 SE PP. All of a sudden my front tires were cupping from the middle of the tire to the inside edge. Both fronts wearing the same. The dealer says I need a 4 wheel alignment to correct it. I have automatic collision braking also and VW says that I will have to get the front camera calibrated because of the alignment. Cost is $840. Is it necessary to calibrate the camera?

I've had 4 alignments done on mine and each time it cost about $100 - $130 with no need ever to calibrate camera or radar. They were all done at a VW dealer that had the machine to do alignments on cars with radar and camera.

I have the full radar/camera/front collision thing, but mine is Mk7, so don't know if there's a major difference in how they are serviced or maintained vs the Mk7.5

Maybe you just under inflated the front tires?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've had 4 alignments done on mine and each time it cost about $100 - $130 with no need ever to calibrate camera or radar. They were all done at a VW dealer that had the machine to do alignments on cars with radar and camera.

I have the full radar/camera/front collision thing, but mine is Mk7, so don't know if there's a major difference in how they are serviced or maintained vs the Mk7.5

Maybe you just under inflated the front tires?

Tire inflation is fine. It's a 4 wheel alignment. It's because the rear wheels need to be aligned that the dealer said the front brake assist camera has to be calibrated. If it was just the front wheels being aligned they said the camera calibration wouldn't need to be done. Same thing if you have ACC.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI

Make sure you check the oil once it's up to operating temp. So 189+ and then wait 5 min after you turned the car off