GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
DP looks amazing..but at 1.2k for the catted version I don't know if an extra inch of pipe diameter is going to help with an IS20 build.
I’m in on the Over/under for when you are stage 2 with all the bolt ons and realize you want more turbo, lol.

Then that extra 1” will matter.

That arm DP uses a cat of quality you can get for 60 bucks...the cat offered with the trackslag is an expensive item to them before any mark up already.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I’m in on the Over/under for when you are stage 2 with all the bolt ons and realize you want more turbo, lol.

Then that extra 1” will matter.

That arm DP uses a cat of quality you can get for 60 bucks...the cat offered with the trackslag is an expensive item to them before any mark up already.
True.. But for my build I don't feel like pushing my AQ250/09G tranny with anything bigger than an IS20. There are Slush box IS20 builds trucking along here I can reference, anything bigger seems like I'm setting myself up to grenade something...

Eh, the ARM Catted DP was $447, plus they have an 11% off coupon going right now with free shipping. So about 400 for the DP. Most others going for 800 bucks use 200 cells too.. They all claim to use higher class SS CATs with higher metal density, so it's hard to know who to trust.

Figure for 400 bucks, if it smells bad I can probably pick up a decent 300/400 Cell cat and have it welded in for cheaper than the cheapest 300 cell OTS DP I found at 800ish.

Edit: 300 cell GESI with 3" in/out and 4" diameter for $140. It's not an EPA rated one, but you can find those for around 330ish in the 400 cell range.
https://www.importimageracing.com/p...n-diameter-body-x-7in-oal-catalytic-converter

Last edited:

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Question.

I got in my car today after getting something at a gas station. I turn the ignition on and start the car. As soonas the car started up it started up rough as hell and made the car shake. Never done this before. What could it be? Spark plugs?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Question.

I got in my car today after getting something at a gas station. I turn the ignition on and start the car. As soonas the car started up it started up rough as hell and made the car shake. Never done this before. What could it be? Spark plugs?
Engine still cold, was it up to temp? Any mods like SAI deletes?

Spark plugs tend to be the main culprit for rough idle from my reading, either their old or have expanded their gap.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Question.

What happened after that? Did it run okay and that was a momentary thing?

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
I am not sure if it was something related to that

Engine was up to temp. The first time it happened it surprised me since it was super odd. I turned the car off and started it a 2nd time to see if it did it again and same thing, made the front of the car tremble when cranked to start. Car drove good

currently @39k miles on my 17 gti .

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I am not sure if it was something related to that

Engine was up to temp. The first time it happened i turned the car off and started it a 2nd time to see if it did it again and made the front of the car shake rough. Car drove good.

currently @39k miles on my 17 gti .
Have you changed plugs or are they still the ones that came with the car? You're at about the mileage for a stock plug swap if not tuned.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
that extra 1” will matter.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Question.

Did you get gas? One time I accidentally bought half a tank of 87 octane. After running it empty I switched back to 93 octane. The engine vibrated very strongly on startup. That is the only time it's ever done it.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Did you get gas? One time I accidentally bought half a tank of 87 octane. After running it empty I switched back to 93 octane. The engine vibrated very strongly on startup. That is the only time it's ever done it.
no gas. I usually fill up with shell 93 oct. Car was at half a tank

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Anyone have any advice for monitoring timing/knock with the JB4? Let's assume I know nothing and need a starting point. I have tried google-fu, but it's mostly just guys video blogging while driving around in their car.

I see IGN 2-5 is what should be monitored.

What should I be looking for?
What is normal?
What warning signs should I be concerned for?

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Anyone have any advice for monitoring timing/knock with the JB4? Let's assume I know nothing and need a starting point. I have tried google-fu, but it's mostly just guys video blogging while driving around in their car.

I see IGN 2-5 is what should be monitored.

What should I be looking for?
What is normal?
What warning signs should I be concerned for?
Look up the JB4 thread, pretty sure George still hangs out there. Even if he doesn’t, someone will help you interpret the datazap logs