GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 and other cars I’ve seen in Finland

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The badging is Also growing on me. I saw an R line eTSI Golf tonight and it was really good looking. No photos though.
I may just turn this into a thread for the cool cars I’ve seen here
I’ve never seen a Soviet car before, it’s called a Lada. It’s still light at 11pm here this time of year and that’s when I took the photo of the beetle View attachment 213682View attachment 213683View attachment 213681
The Lada is a poorly built Fiat with even more rust, if humanly possible.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The Lada is a poorly built Fiat with even more rust, if humanly possible.

But the Lada Niva on the other hand is a mostly indestructible off-road hatchback.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
I was told by a Finnish coworker today that it is a dealer option to have badges removed from your car. All the Swedish guys I work with chimed in and said they always remove badges if they buy a used car that has them. These aren’t kids with modified cars, they do this to any and everything over here.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was surprised how clean this particular car was. No mater how much a pos something may be, if someone takes pride in it, I can respect that.
However, it could have just been a giant piece of bondo for all I know.

From what I understand, clean ones are hard to come by, so they're actually getting desirable.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Weird question, but do car horns in Europe sound like they do in North America, i.e. a one note blast? I wonder if Golfs have something different there?

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Slammed wagons are big here. I love the A6 Avant. This was a TDI Scirocco.

Sad that the Scirocco is no longer made anywhere. Gosh how I wanted one in the early '80s (in the U.S.), but couldn't afford.

I agree with the others here -- your pictures are fascinating! :giggle:

bentin

Autocross Champion
I was told by a Finnish coworker today that it is a dealer option to have badges removed from your car. All the Swedish guys I work with chimed in and said they always remove badges if they buy a used car that has them. These aren’t kids with modified cars, they do this to any and everything over here.
Common in most of Europe. If you have an M5 and your boss has a 520i, no reason to advertise it and 99% of people won't know the difference with the badges missing.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
But the Lada Niva on the other hand is a mostly indestructible off-road hatchback.
I owned one. It's as if the Russians pre-rusted the body panels and undercarriage for owner's convenience.

It was a tiny mountain goat though, and many of the engine parts cross-referenced with Fiat, which also meant with Ford of that vintage.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I owned one. It's as if the Russians pre-rusted the body panels and undercarriage for owner's convenience.

It was a tiny mountain goat though, and many of the engine parts cross-referenced with Fiat, which also meant with Ford of that vintage.

Never owned one. Only ever ridden in them and in 3rd world with terrible and sometimes non existent roads, they are fabulous like you say.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Weird question, but do car horns in Europe sound like they do in North America, i.e. a one note blast? I wonder if Golfs have something different there?
I have only been to Finland and Spain. Funny thing is, I rarely hear car horns here but when I have they sound like a standard horn you would hear in the states. And get this, people ALWAYS use their blinker in Finland. If you weren’t aware, they’re pretty good at driving through the woods at insane speeds as well.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Common in most of Europe. If you have an M5 and your boss has a 520i, no reason to advertise it and 99% of people won't know the difference with the badges missing.
One thing I have seen is badges that clearly didn’t come from the factory. Debadged only to add a 4x4
image.jpg