GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK8 Golf R Infotainment features have never worked since new

Drewalk

I have a US Spec MK8 Golf R 6 Spd manual. The infotainment system has never worked like it was meant to. I can save local radio stations to Favorites and that's about it. I have only once been able to store Sirius XM stations with all the proper graphics. They never really came back. I can listen to XM radio but will lock up and freeze often when I try to do too much. The names of the songs almost never show and if they do it was the song playing when the car was 1st started. A lot of issues. I imagine most people simply bluetooth their phones and listen to content that way. I find it very frustrating VW put out a product that doesn't work properly. I'm surprised they isn't more out there discussing how bad this system is. The touch screen only is not ideal, over 6 months and 17,000 miles, I have become pretty good at it, I just want it to work like it was supposed to. I can't imagine I'm the only one. Anyone else with similar issues?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There’s been lots of discussion on software gremlins in general over on the Golf R forum (vwroc.com). The gremlins-specific discussion thread that was started in April 2021 on that forum currently stands at 235 pages! 😮. In addition to the many software issues such as false warning messages on the instrumentation display and incessant warning bongs, incorrect interpretation of speed limit signs by the car, SOS errors, intermittent non functioning keyless (KESSY), seat heating errors (I dare say there are others too), it’s likely that that discussion thread includes posts on infotainment issues too.

To be fair to VW, software fixes have sorted some of the items listed above. However, some software updates seem to have created new issues and ‘unfixed’ some previously fixed gremlins.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
my gti is the same way since day one...best thing you can do is just deal with it until its fixed...whenever that may be

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’ve been on 1899sw for 1200 miles now, and 🤞🤞🤞 I’ve had no bongs or any misbehaving at all.

I shouldn’t have said that should I………😬

Scal

my gti is the same way since day one...best thing you can do is just deal with it until its fixed...whenever that may be
Why should we put up with this crap, I bought a MK8 GTI in 2021 it has so many infotainment & safety issues it's not funny anymore, they promise to fix it but it is only a PR stunt to keep the customers coming. I'm in Australia and VWA don't give a shit. Someone has to have an accident before they get serious.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
my newest issue now with the informant is now the time zone wont stay on my current time zone it just swaps to gmt and doesnt stay on whatever i change it to

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
whether automatic or manual it shows the eastern time zone hour but gmt time zone so it glitches out and not tied to my phone as i do not have android auto enabled

Drewalk

Update. Problem fixed with my infotainment system. Most of my issues stemmed from Sirius XM radio. When I looked up Sirius XM radio issues with the MK8 Golf, there were a lot of people saying the same things as me. One person said his shop replaced the 5F Module and everything worked perfectly. This was August of 2022. I use 2 different VW shops, had the one I like better replace mine, now it works perfectly. I’m pissed off the 1st dealership didn’t put any time into figuring it out and that corporate VW tech support didn’t either, assuming the dealership truly communicated with them. My daughter’s 2022 Tiguan had a bad 5F Module as well. Must be a bad supplier??