GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 - Opinions?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Evool

I'm actually pretty excited for this upcoming generation release. I've been reading on forums and posts and people generally seem to not like these added techs into our vehicles. I for one welcome it and prefer cars that have new features and technology.

Seems rather silly.. but I'd love it if the GTI came with a standard feature of power folding mirrors xP

I'll be in the market for a car in the middle of next year and the 2020 GTI is currently at the top of my list!

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I'm not a fan of the "connected car", I find the driver assists over the top already. Especially when I didn't option them and my dealer threw it in - which I made them give it to me for free...
That said, not talking mechanical at this point as the MK8 R hasn't been released, but I feel like exterior - I might wait for the facelift, it's not my cup of tea. Interior, I prefer the A3 / S3 as I never was a fan of the glued on tablet look, just like how I prefer the Golf over the A3 / S3 interior

walker

Go Kart Newbie
I'll (hopefully) be in the market a year or two into the Mk8 in the US. Exterior looks fine, hasn't changed much. Although it keeps getting bigger, which I don't like. My 2003 golf was a perfect size. The golf used to be a unique, small, and sporty option, but it's showing signs of turning into the generic lowest-common-denominator-market car that everyone makes.

Interior wise, I'm a big fan of my Mk6 gti and was an even bigger fan of the Mk4. I enjoyed that it was simple and functional. Most other cars seem to take the approach that more knobs, buttons, and useless controls somehow equates to luxury? I'm a late and reluctant adopter to anything touch screen, high tech, etc. so this whole new interior thing frightens me. I want to drive a car, not an ipad. The photos so far make it look like exactly what I don't want. But who knows, maybe in person it will be more inviting.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not a fan of the "connected car", I find the driver assists over the top already. Especially when I didn't option them and my dealer threw it in - which I made them give it to me for free...
That said, not talking mechanical at this point as the MK8 R hasn't been released, but I feel like exterior - I might wait for the facelift, it's not my cup of tea. Interior, I prefer the A3 / S3 as I never was a fan of the glued on tablet look, just like how I prefer the Golf over the A3 / S3 interior

Yea, I'm not sure about the interior either. The way they have it setup now is like sitting at a desk with with three monitors since they aren't integrated into the dash. If they were more integrated into the dash then I would like it more but I need to see in person. Regarding refresh, I doubt they would be able to fix something to this degree, that would be a pretty big undertaking and make the interior look totally different.

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I find the >240hp of the new GTE to be tempting, and the fact that it is a plug-in hybrid would be wonderful, but the new styling, the all-digital touch dash and lack of a manual transmission have me looking forward to several more years with my 2017 Sportscombi 150GT.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Connected cars, if and when they work flawlessly and are commonplace would be great. No more waiting at stoplights for the cars in front of you to start moving one by one. No more running into the car in front of you. Most people really don't know how to drive. They have no clue for the technical aspects. These are the kind of people that have no idea how long it takes to stop their car. Between young drivers and the old farts, you're lucky to live though the day.

tdipaul

Ready to race!
I dont like the looks of it either. They are going the wrong direction. It reminds me of a Mazda 3

cinderbike

Ready to race!
I like how the front fender badges line up with the red strip of the headlights, and that the stripe now lights up all the way across.

New "GTI" logo is a bit off but I could get used to it, but expected with them also changing the R logo.

All in all, seeing full photos, I hate it less than I thought I would. Thought I'd be holding onto my 7.5 forever but I will probably get a mk8 R.

VW Steve

Ready to race!
I like the car a lot but I am not happy with the fact that Volkswagen of America doesn't want to bring the base model and prefers to offer us only the GTI and the R. I have never been able to afford anything other than the base model, and I am quite content with my own base Golf Mk6. Volkswagen Canada wanted it but American indifference to the base car caused Volkswagen AG to cancel it there. This is all completely unacceptable! We need to petition Volkswagen of America to being the car to the U.S. and also let Canada have it! :mad: Follow my blog: Bring The Base Eighth-Generation VW Golf To North America!

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I like how the front fender badges line up with the red strip of the headlights, and that the stripe now lights up all the way across.

New "GTI" logo is a bit off but I could get used to it, but expected with them also changing the R logo.

All in all, seeing full photos, I hate it less than I thought I would. Thought I'd be holding onto my 7.5 forever but I will probably get a mk8 R.
This has just arrived at my local dealership in the UK, I’ve just bought a BMW M135i xDrive, I absolutely love the BMW but maybe I should have waited! 🤔
33CA5B9B-883A-4547-B006-8371BE491EC0.jpeg