GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I agree that while, the engines are annoyingly small, the dash is meh and same goes for the rear lights, the thing that bothers me most with the Polo is the same reason why I opted for the Golf instead of Audi A3 and that is the size. While Polo grew substantially it still isn't quite as big as the Golf and for me it ends up feeling cramped. Also for me there isn't enough luggage space and same goes for the A3. (The 2021 model is around the same price as the Golf albeit you miss on some nice but not exactly necessary extras).
That said, if I knew how long I would be waiting for the mk8 I would have taken the Audi.
Interesting to read your thoughts.

Yes, the Polo is smaller, but not significantly smaller - the main difference is there‘s 30 litres less luggage capacity in the Polo compared to the Golf with the rear seat backrests in the upright position and the wheelbase is slightly shorter - not really a great surprise as the Polo is a B segment car and the Golf, a C segment car. Below is a comparison of the key dimensions VW quote in their official literature. For some strange reason, VW haven’t quoted the Golf’s luggage capacity so the figure quoted below is from one of the many online reviews of the Golf. Figures in brackets relate to the Polo;
  • Wheelbase; 2,619mm (2,552mm), difference; Golf wheel base is 67mm longer
  • Shoulder room - front; 1,471mm (1,446mm); Golf has 25mm more shoulder room in the front of the car
  • Shoulder room - rear; 1,440mm (1,425mm); Golf has 15mm more shoulder room in the rear
  • Headroom - front; 1,018mm (1,019mm); Golf has 1mm less headroom in the front
  • Headroom - rear; 968mm (964mm); Golf has 4mm more headroom in the rear
  • Luggage capacity; 381 litres (351 litres); Golf has 30 litres more luggage capacity
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/golf-8-dimensions.pdf
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/polo-dimensions.pdf

As for the Audi A3’s luggage capacity; it is virtually identical to the Golf’s - from Audi’s website;
The A3 Sportback’s interior boasts impressive spaciousness, with ample legroom in the front and back, and a up to 380-litre boot which can be further extended by folding the rear bench seat.

The overall size of the A3 is very similar - if not identical - to the Golf too; pretty certain they use the same version of VAG’s MQB platform.

Interesting by your comment regarding the rear lights; the rear light clusters of the current Polo are very similar to those on the Golf;

Polo;
B4FFE7FB-BB24-437C-B45D-5D0AFFD5AE55.jpeg

Golf;
A74AED7B-2595-44A3-9971-8A57451191D1.jpeg

I personally prefer the dash in the Polo to the Golf’s - IMHO it’s less minimalist and the Polo’s infotainment screen is more integrated than the screen in the Golf. Also, the Polo gets heating / ventilation controls that are illuminated at night.

The point I was alluding to in my previous post was that the Polo might be a viable option for some would-Golf owners, especially when considering the shorter wait times for Polos compared to Golfs. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal choice and the Polo wouldn’t work for everyone, especially if luggage capacity is a key consideration. We’re all individuals with different likes and dislikes, which is a good thing IMHO - if we all liked and bought the same things, life would be pretty boring 🙂.

wwo

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting to read your thoughts.

Yes, the Polo is smaller, but not significantly smaller - the main difference is there‘s 30 litres less luggage capacity in the Polo compared to the Golf with the rear seat backrests in the upright position and the wheelbase is slightly shorter - not really a great surprise as the Polo is a B segment car and the Golf, a C segment car. Below is a comparison of the key dimensions VW quote in their official literature. For some strange reason, VW haven’t quoted the Golf’s luggage capacity so the figure quoted below is from one of the many online reviews of the Golf. Figures in brackets relate to the Polo;
  • Wheelbase; 2,619mm (2,552mm), difference; Golf wheel base is 67mm longer
  • Shoulder room - front; 1,471mm (1,446mm); Golf has 25mm more shoulder room in the front of the car
  • Shoulder room - rear; 1,440mm (1,425mm); Golf has 15mm more shoulder room in the rear
  • Headroom - front; 1,018mm (1,019mm); Golf has 1mm less headroom in the front
  • Headroom - rear; 968mm (964mm); Golf has 4mm more headroom in the rear
  • Luggage capacity; 381 litres (351 litres); Golf has 30 litres more luggage capacity
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/golf-8-dimensions.pdf
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/polo-dimensions.pdf

As for the Audi A3’s luggage capacity; it is virtually identical to the Golf’s - from Audi’s website;
The A3 Sportback’s interior boasts impressive spaciousness, with ample legroom in the front and back, and a up to 380-litre boot which can be further extended by folding the rear bench seat.

The overall size of the A3 is very similar - if not identical - to the Golf too; pretty certain they use the same version of VAG’s MQB platform.

Interesting by your comment regarding the rear lights; the rear light clusters of the current Polo are very similar to those on the Golf;

Polo;
View attachment 250055

Golf;
View attachment 250056

I personally prefer the dash in the Polo to the Golf’s - IMHO it’s less minimalist and the Polo’s infotainment screen is more integrated than the screen in the Golf. Also, the Polo gets heating / ventilation controls that are illuminated at night.

The point I was alluding to in my previous post was that the Polo might be a viable option for some would-Golf owners, especially when considering the shorter wait times for Polos compared to Golfs. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal choice and the Polo wouldn’t work for everyone, especially if luggage capacity is a key consideration. We’re all individuals with different likes and dislikes, which is a good thing IMHO - if we all liked and bought the same things, life would be pretty boring 🙂.
My main complaint with the A3 is actually the leg space which imo is quite comparable between the two, especially with people sitting in the back the golf is more spacious. I find the luggage spac claims interesting it really seemed smaller tk me in the A3. Regarding rhe dash in the Polo I mainly dislike the decorative elements, additional buttons are actually nice. Whilr the direction they were going in eith the rear lights on the polo is obvious they seem out of proportion to me.
Different people different tastes :)

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My main complaint with the A3 is actually the leg space which imo is quite comparable between the two, especially with people sitting in the back the golf is more spacious. I find the luggage spac claims interesting it really seemed smaller tk me in the A3. Regarding rhe dash in the Polo I mainly dislike the decorative elements, additional buttons are actually nice. Whilr the direction they were going in eith the rear lights on the polo is obvious they seem out of proportion to me.
Different people different tastes :)
Yes, as said, we’re all individuals so we’ll have different tastes, likes and dislikes.

With luggage space, what the car manufacturers fail to mention is that it’s not always useable space. There will be some vehicles with a theoretical luggage space that’s larger than a competitor’s vehicle but because of the shape of the luggage compartment it might not all be useable.

The numbers don’t always reflect reality 🤔.

Apologies to everyone for taking this thread off topic………🙂 considering possible alternatives to a Golf could be relevant though IMHO if current lead times are an issue.

Reactions: wwo

GMan22

Ready to race!
And you said you ordered in July last year? What the hell, what are VW doing! That’s approaching full fat R time frames there

Ralphie137

Just been told September, got the hump now basic R line standard colour no options 😫
I’m currently the same, GTE ordered July 1st 2021 (Dolphin Grey, no options) and “expected” September 2022.

No update this month so far from the leasing company so it could be even longer.

GMan22

Ready to race!
No start of November was originally told June at point of order , have to put up as the price was good
Ahh fair enough, someone else said July for an R Line order or something somewhere in this thread. Have you been given a confirmed build week?

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Same, ordered GTD beginning of November, and since March I’ve been told September build and delivery in October.

toejamtam

Same, ordered GTD beginning of November, and since March I’ve been told September build and delivery in October.
Least they will be MY23 cars. I fully expect it to be pushed back again. VW seem to be the worst of the German brands

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
I was kinda hoping that with the switch to MY23 they would start getting their act together. I did see, either on this forum or another one, somebody contacted VW Customer Services and was told that they are starting to ramp up the Golf production line. They’ve had time to sort out their suppliers and either switch or second source (or third source), the chip situation is much the same, but hopefully they have used the time the sort out their allocation.
I suppose the next issue is energy, without getting political, that must weigh heavily on all the German manufacturers , if the taps get restricted or turned off!

Also, VW have been in fire fighting mode sorting out all the Golf issues, hopefully it sounds like the latest update fixes most of that, thereby hopefully (fingers crossed) allowing them to focus on building again.

But who knows at the end of the day, definitely not us, and I would say the dealers are as much in the dark. VW UK is the customer here, they are the ones buying cars from VW HQ, and they don’t like communicating to us end users, makes you wonder if their communication to dealerships is the same!

GMan22

Ready to race!
I was kinda hoping that with the switch to MY23 they would start getting their act together. I did see, either on this forum or another one, somebody contacted VW Customer Services and was told that they are starting to ramp up the Golf production line. They’ve had time to sort out their suppliers and either switch or second source (or third source), the chip situation is much the same, but hopefully they have used the time the sort out their allocation.
I suppose the next issue is energy, without getting political, that must weigh heavily on all the German manufacturers , if the taps get restricted or turned off!

Also, VW have been in fire fighting mode sorting out all the Golf issues, hopefully it sounds like the latest update fixes most of that, thereby hopefully (fingers crossed) allowing them to focus on building again.

But who knows at the end of the day, definitely not us, and I would say the dealers are as much in the dark. VW UK is the customer here, they are the ones buying cars from VW HQ, and they don’t like communicating to us end users, makes you wonder if their communication to dealerships is the same!
Yeah that was me, I contacted VWUK and they said that they were in the process of ramping up golf production again. It’s whether or not to believe them is the issue

Reactions: gjm

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah that was me, I contacted VWUK and they said that they were in the process of ramping up golf production again. It’s whether or not to believe them is the issue
Thanks, sorry navigating backwards and forwards through the thread on a mobile phone is painful.
After I saw your message on that, it was a couple of days later and I thought I would try the same, but got the usual canned message off speak to my dealer they have the latest info, etc. etc.
It’s a waiting game at the moment, although VW are probably hoping people get tired of waiting as they could make more money selling the car with todays prices rather than last years price.