GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

Jeev202

Yeah mine got pushed back as welll. The build date was supposed to be in May but now it’s in late July. So I don’t think I will get the car until August or September. But I’m still on the lookout to see if anything is in stock.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
Ordered a Style eTSI at the start of August, first provisional date was February, now moved to May (again provisional). As I understand, wireless Android Auto should work with this newer buit cars, as well as the navigation on the driver's display for Discovery Media ... and I do hope that the delay gets me the faster new infotainment unit. Feels fair that the car gets better while you wait 😄

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Do these crazy delivery times effect other cars in quite the same way as the Golf Mk8. I’m thinking of Focus, Astra, A3, 1 Series, Ceed, Mazda 3, Civic, A Class, 308, Corolla etc.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I went to check at a Ford dealership a few weeks ago. They danced around it, but eventually admitted that they are also quite in the dark about delivery times. Spring orders for Focus were, as they told me, delivered at the end of the year. The salesman did mention that they get a lot of sales from people not willing to wait for a year for Octavia. I did also notice that basically no new Kia vehicles are parked in front of the local dealership (and there used to be almost nothing but) ... My feeling is that it is not quite as bad, but at the same time ... Not that much better.

Jedi86615

Hi. I have seen cars advertised as pipeline or Q1 delivery and was wondering if that holds any value to it? Additionally, do lease companies give out the dealership details so that the customer can contact in order to get first hand information, or is that counterintuitive? how do you even know an order has been placed if no finance documents have been sent out? I've read some shocking reviews online with some companies claiming to have a certain delivery date and mentioning that they have no responsibility if there is a delay ( this I understand), however what proof is there that an order had actually been placed. Or are such companies gathering administration fees and once enough have signed up then placing orders. After 14 days you are then contractually signed up with them as the cooling off period has run out, some even charge an additional cancellation fee on top!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Do these crazy delivery times effect other cars in quite the same way as the Golf Mk8. I’m thinking of Focus, Astra, A3, 1 Series, Ceed, Mazda 3, Civic, A Class, 308, Corolla etc.
I’d anticipate they do.

All modern cars require semiconductors and the worldwide shortage means car manufacturers can get the supplies they need. Additionally, all car manufacturers’ workforces will have been impacted by Covid, meaning production will have been running at less than normal capacity during the past two years. Most if not all car manufacturers will therefore have a pretty significant backlog of customer orders to clear and dealers will still have been taking new orders, adding to the backlog. I read on a Ford forum of 8-12 month lead times for some models of car.

The whole motor industry uses the ’just in time’ business model - parts are ordered for specific vehicles arrive ’just in time‘ for use on the factory production line to build those vehicles. No cars were being built during lockdowns in the early stages of the pandemic, so most car manufacturers would have cancelled ordered parts from their suppliers as they don’t have space to store them, nor would they want capital tied up in large stocks of parts for use in cars that weren’t being built. Many of those suppliers - including semiconductor manufacturers - would have found new customers outside the motor industry (e.g. manufacturers of domestic appliances and tech such as tablets, TV’s, phones etc.) and negotiated (better?) deals with them. Therefore, when lockdown restrictions were lifted and car manufacturers were ready to start building cars again, they were probably near the back of the queue for semiconductor supplies. There have also been fires at some semiconductor manufacturing plants (e.g. Renesas, AKL) , which will have put further strain on getting semiconductor production back up to pre-pandemic levels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56486242

So all in all I suspect anyone ordering a new car of pretty much any make is likely to be in for long wait. Car manufacturers may also be prioritising building Battery Electric Vehicles over ICE vehicles as that has a positive benefit for them from an emissions fines perspective.

Sbullet

Volkswagen of Downtown Chicago has a Golf R available for anyone interested for $68,000.

I saw it on cars.com and called out of curiosity with the thought of trading in my Mk8 Autobahn. LOL are you kidding!

Neumann63

Ordered a GTI mk8 in Moonstone Grey (SE trim in US) in Ontario, Canada. Expected delivery time quoted from dealer…. 6 - 12 months.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious, has anybody waited for more than 9 (or 12?) months for a non-performance Golf (basic, Life, Style or R Line)?

I hear deliveries are very sparse for the last few months, which should be due to prioritisation of higher value models, and it would be interesting to know if there is an upper limit to the wait times imposed internally by VW (or is somebody still waiting after say 14 months).

JLewy95

Just curious, has anybody waited for more than 9 (or 12?) months for a non-performance Golf (basic, Life, Style or R Line)?

I hear deliveries are very sparse for the last few months, which should be due to prioritisation of higher value models, and it would be interesting to know if there is an upper limit to the wait times imposed internally by VW (or is somebody still waiting after say 14 months).
I ordered my MK8 eTSI 150 R-Line through a leasing company back in April 2021 and I still haven’t received a confirmed build week. I imagine it’ll be over a year before I receive mine!

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
A friend has a fiesta on order and they have told him that certain things are being taken off the spec he ordered like folding mirrors.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
A friend has a fiesta on order and they have told him that certain things are being taken off the spec he ordered like folding mirrors.
BMW are also dropping certain items of semiconductor-dependant spec from some of their cars so they can get them built and delivered to customers. I wonder if waiting customers will get a price reduction if cars are delivered with certain items of equipment missing?

It also raises the question of what impact missing items of spec will have on a car’s resale value when the time comes to sell in a few years time? It might be possible to retro-fit some of the missing items when semiconductor supplies improve, but it almost always costs more to retro fit an item of equipment than it does to spec it at the time of ordering a car.

On the subject of semiconductor supplies - some of the news items I’ve read are suggesting things may not improve until some time in 2023. How true or speculative that is is anyone’s guess, but with lead times of 12+ months being quoted by some car manufacturers on some of their models, it seems car production won’t be back to normal levels for many months to come.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I found this interesting list of estimated wait times per make and model. It doesn't cover all cars (Octavia for example appears to be missing), it's for UK, but at the first glance, the data looks legit. For a standard Golf it quotes 41 weeks, for GTI and R 52 weeks. Corolla is supposed to be 'only' 14 weeks and a Focus 23 weeks. Link: New Car Delivery Times | carwow

Phil2022

I ordered my MK8 eTSI 150 R-Line through a leasing company back in April 2021 and I still haven’t received a confirmed build week. I imagine it’ll be over a year before I receive mine!
I've had a Golf Gtd on order since May 2021, the dealership contacted me a few days ago to say the car is on its way. According to the salesperson, it was really strange considering all the orders had been put back months. It appears deliveries are coming through randomly.