GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

ghostwalker

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys - I've decided to use the benefit of the keyless but get a good steering lock, and go with the faraday box setup when it's out on the drive. Hopefully that's enough!

Also looking into GTECHNIQ C4 for the piano black - wonder how effective it'll be. Presumably it won't stop damage completely but at least it'll make it look good for longer.

Not long to go now :love:

Charger21

Regarding my order which will hopefully be November time but if it did take the 18 months that many buyers seem to have had to wait that would take it until the end of 2024. How would that work given the facelift 8.5 is due in 2024. Would I get an 8.5 or would they still be building the 8s even though it'll have been replaced?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Regarding my order which will hopefully be November time but if it did take the 18 months that many buyers seem to have had to wait that would take it until the end of 2024. How would that work given the facelift 8.5 is due in 2024. Would I get an 8.5 or would they still be building the 8s even though it'll have been replaced?
Maybe a question for your dealer, or one to ask VW direct. Is there anything in the small print of the documentation you would have signed when placing your order that covers this scenario?

Mk8 production will stop when mk8.5 production commences as the Wolfsburg production plant will have been re-tooled for the mk8.5 Golf to be built. I read recently that the mk8.5 is due to be unveiled in November, so VW have limited time to clear the backlog of orders for the mk8.

Another possible scenario you’ve not listed is that VW just cancel all existing unfulfilled orders and customers are given the option of starting the ordering process again and placing a fresh order for a mk8.5. I dare say that option would be very unpopular - to put it mildly - with customers such as yourself!

I personally think VW should close the order books for all mk8 models - either temporarily or permanently, so no new orders can be accepted. It then gives them a fighting chance of fulfilling the backlog of all o/s customer orders before mk8.5 production commences. Closing the order books would mean VW taking a hit financially, but IMHO they should bear some (most?) of the responsibility for the current ongoing situation. Admittedly, third party supply chain issues during the past 2-3 years are a significant factor that has affected VW’s ability to build cars and are largely outside VW’s control. However, VW could have managed the customer ordering process better by restricting new orders and limiting the size of the o/s order book.

keith1200rs

Passed Driver's Ed
I would have thought you would end up with whatever is the latest build. My wife's Golf, ordered October 2021 and delivered last month is 2023 specification.

Charger21

I would have thought you would end up with whatever is the latest build. My wife's Golf, ordered October 2021 and delivered last month is 2023 specification.
Thing is if they do that it would likely have different wheels on it for example, different material on the seats, exterior looks not as appealing, different paint colours, options that aren't available now available then, options I've chosen no longer available. It was already uncertain but now seems even more uncertain and whilst speaking with my dealer should be my first port if call I doubt they'll know either given my current order is so up in the air.

Quite what VW are thinking releasing a new car when they can't even fulfil orders on the current one I do now know.

I have kinda said I'm giving it til January to see where we are or I will cancel and that option is becoming increasingly more likely now

Charger21

Just been in dealer asking a question about my added options and was informed my build has provisionally came forward to week 34. 13 weeks forward so potentially October delivery

Trevor M

Charger21 - That sounds like promising news. I also ordered mine on 18th May (Style Estate TSI 150 with several 'add-ons') and was given an estimated delivery date of 1st December. Your information gives me some cause for optimism. I will give the supplier another month or so and then 'chivvy them up' to check on the situation and report back here.

Charger21

Charger21 - That sounds like promising news. I also ordered mine on 18th May (Style Estate TSI 150 with several 'add-ons') and was given an estimated delivery date of 1st December. Your information gives me some cause for optimism. I will give the supplier another month or so and then 'chivvy them up' to check on the situation and report back here.
Fingers crossed. To be honest I don't really understand the week numbers. I had originally thought I was week 29 but now 34 which I'd have thought was 5 weeks later but the salesman was confident it'll be an earlier delivery. Isn't locked in yet granted but cause for optimism

Charger21

Something else I'd like to ask if anyone knows the answer, looking around autotrader and on reviews it seems some have piano black centre console but others don't with just the parking brake and gear selector piano black.

Anyone know what would likely be on mine? Piano black is a pain to keep but it does look better than grey plastic

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
Something else I'd like to ask if anyone knows the answer, looking around autotrader and on reviews it seems some have piano black centre console but others don't with just the parking brake and gear selector piano black.

Anyone know what would likely be on mine? Piano black is a pain to keep but it does look better than grey plastic
I think all MY23 cars have piano black. Correct me if I'm wrong

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

Picture below of a March 2023 registered Golf R Line interior from the used cars section of VW UK’s website showing the extent of the piano black trim - i.e. centre console, parking brake/auto-hold switches and gear selector in piano black. Unless VW make a general change to the centre console trim before your car is built, then yours (an R Line?) will have paino black trim like this one;

IMG_0207.jpeg

Charger21

Picture below of a March 2023 registered Golf R Line interior from the used cars section of VW UK’s website showing the extent of the piano black trim - i.e. centre console, parking brake/auto-hold switches and gear selector in piano black. Unless VW make a general change to the centre console trim before your car is built, then yours (an R Line?) will have paino black trim like this one;

View attachment 283361
Yeah that's what I'm expecting though have seen some R lines it's only the buttons and gear selector that are piano black.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yeah that's what I'm expecting though have seen some R lines it's only the buttons and gear selector that are piano black.
They were probably earlier (pre-2023 model year) cars - I think VW introduced piano black trim on the centre console as part of model year changes for 2023 model year cars.

ghostwalker

Passed Driver's Ed
It arrived today! 🥰

No time for pics yet as was busy doing a couple of local trips to gather initial impressions, and setting up the app.

May go into Yorkshire tomorrow so pics will probably follow. Need to get it run in! The car had a driven delivery from Cambridgeshire, about 150 miles, so was a bit dirty but didn’t really mind. Will probably have it washed in a week or so. Despite being a sports car in hatchback form, it’s meant to be properly used and not just washed and photographed, IMO.

The smart climate settings are my favourite bit so far, and the controls are easy enough to use (I suppose) if you’ve grown up using iPads etc, but I can see why the older generations may find them frustrating.

So yes, a 2 year wait, but they do give you a good package for your time with all the connectivity. It’s par for the price point, and certainly far better than Tesla, Kia etc who don’t really give you that premium feel in the same way as the Germans.

P.S filled the tank and it gave a range of 460 miles. I’ll be amazed if it gets close to that!