GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

rayaans

Ready to race!
The build date fluctuates almost weekly.
Last time I asked the car had a build date of week 23. This month it's week 36. It's fluctuated between week 19 and week 45 in the past month or so apparently.

I believe it's all to do with spec and trim level, as well as parts availablity.

PhunkyBuddha

Hello everyone, I ordered mine 5th of October 2021, last time I spoke with the garage it's planned to be build in July, so it will be something close to 40 to 41 weeks. I heard that I can cancel in April if I choose to, but now not only covid, we are seeing a war happening. Do you guys think that until end of July I'll get this car?

rayaans

Ready to race!
Hello everyone, I ordered mine 5th of October 2021, last time I spoke with the garage it's planned to be build in July, so it will be something close to 40 to 41 weeks. I heard that I can cancel in April if I choose to, but now not only covid, we are seeing a war happening. Do you guys think that until end of July I'll get this car?

Yes you could get It earlier than July. I don't think the russia-ukraine issue will be a problem unless it escalates into Europe itself which is very unlikely

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yes you could get It earlier than July. I don't think the russia-ukraine issue will be a problem unless it escalates into Europe itself which is very unlikely
Palladium is one of the precious metals used in catalytic converters and 38% of worldwide output of palladium comes from Russia. So sanctions against Russia could create supply chain issues.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ukraine-conflict-to-impact-new-car-supply-chain

Additionally, the article below states that VW will be halting production for a few days at two German production facilities, due to delays in getting supplies of parts manufactured in Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...upply-shortage-due-ukraine-crisis-2022-02-25/

So there could well be ongoing disruption and delays at VW’s (and other vehicle manufacturer) production plants as a result of the Ukraine Russia conflict. The extent of any such disruption will clearly be dependent upon the extent of sanctions imposed, whether vehicle parts production facilities are directly affected by any military action, and how long the conflict lasts.

VW and other vehicle manufacturers may have contingency plans in place (e.g. alternative suppliers) to minimise medium - longer term disruption to vehicle production from situations like the Ukraine Russia conflict. However, I’d anticipate there may be some short term disruption which could result in the already very long vehicle lead times being extended further.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Palladium is one of the precious metals used in catalytic converters and 38% of worldwide output of palladium comes from Russia. So sanctions against Russia could create supply chain issues.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ukraine-conflict-to-impact-new-car-supply-chain

Additionally, the article below states that VW will be halting production for a few days at two German production facilities, due to delays in getting supplies of parts manufactured in Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...upply-shortage-due-ukraine-crisis-2022-02-25/

So there could well be ongoing disruption and delays at VW’s (and other vehicle manufacturer) production plants as a result of the Ukraine Russia conflict. The extent of any such disruption will clearly be dependent upon the extent of sanctions imposed, whether vehicle parts production facilities are directly affected by any military action, and how long the conflict lasts.

VW and other vehicle manufacturers may have contingency plans in place (e.g. alternative suppliers) to minimise medium - longer term disruption to vehicle production from situations like the Ukraine Russia conflict. However, I’d anticipate there may be some short term disruption which could result in the already very long vehicle lead times being extended further.
Another news article regarding VW (and BMW) plant shut downs as a result of parts shortages from Ukraine (Link originally posted forum member @The Fed on the mk7 forum board). The article makes reference to a ‘broader shutdown’ the week after next at VW’s Wolfsburg plant where the Golf is built.

Edit; oops, forgot to post the link

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ortages-from-ukraine/ar-AAUtGDG?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited:

Leigh877

Hi I thought I would give some of you an update on my order process on my golf mk8 gtd I ordered mine on the 29th of December 2021 I was told delivery the 1st of September I spoke with dealer last week and now it’s build week 11.. 2 weeks time and I should be having it the end of April so I think I’m lucky from some of the conversations I have been reading on here I hope you all get good news soon🤞

Strymon Volante

Good luck to you Leigh877 on the earlier delivery date. I have been disappointed with an expected overall wait of 10 months or so for my 1.5 eTSI Style and keep looking at a couple of nearly new Mk8 GTI's available off the forecourt........ not sure what I'll end up doing.... With the present conflict in Ukraine it looks as if all car manufacturers will have longer wait times.
But hey, some people would happily pay to have these sorts of problems............... the war in Ukraine kind of puts everything else in a different light!

Last edited:

BradAUK

17 months 😳!!! That’s the gestation period of a dolphin 🤔. I hope you ordered your Golf in Dolphin Grey?
🤣

after a couple of changes in spec/car, yes!
This car only took since May 2021 to arrive so let’s say 10 months. If I’d chosen diff model or spec I’d a been waiting unfortunately due to shortage/lead times.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
🤣

after a couple of changes in spec/car, yes!
This car only took since May 2021 to arrive so let’s say 10 months. If I’d chosen diff model or spec I’d a been waiting unfortunately due to shortage/lead times.
So changing spec resets the wait time? I am sure this is news to a lot of us (who keep doing it during the wait) 🙈

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
So changing spec resets the wait time? I am sure this is news to a lot of us (who keep doing it during the wait) 🙈
As far as I’m aware, it depends at which stage during the process the spec is changed.

Historically, it’s been possible to make spec changes early on in the process. However, once VW have ordered all the parts for a specific vehicle’s build, and their suppliers have confirmed availability and delivery dates for those parts, the build of that vehicle becomes ‘locked down’ and if any further changes in spec are required, then a new order needs to be processed which moves that vehicle to the back of the queue.

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
As far as I’m aware, it depends at which stage during the process the spec is changed.

Historically, it’s been possible to make spec changes early on in the process. However, once VW have ordered all the parts for a specific vehicle’s build, and their suppliers have confirmed availability and delivery dates for those parts, the build of that vehicle becomes ‘locked down’ and if any further changes in spec are required, then a new order needs to be processed which moves that vehicle to the back of the queue.
Thanks. The provisional dates stayed the same after I added some stuff and the dealer said there are so many factors involved at the moment it shouldn't matter (they might be biased as their margin goes up though). With the wait times being as they are I would think it doesn't matter ... it is not that they are actually 'working' on a car for 6+ months.