GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hopefully not much longer.
I wonder how much mine is going to take... 1.5 eTSI Style with Harman Kardon.

VW’s Wolfsburg plant where the Golf is built is currently closed for at least two weeks due to supply chain issues with parts from Ukraine as a result of the conflict. Other vehicle manufacturers including Mercedes, BMW, Mini and other VAG brands are in a similar position.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-brings-forward-ukraine-related-production-stoppage

I dare say that while the conflict continues, production schedules of car manufacturers could be constantly changing because of uncertainty of supplies, and there could be further temporary factory closures happening or production running at reduced levels, which will extend the already long lead times for car production.

Whilst it’s frustrating and annoying for anyone waiting for a new car to be built, IMHO it pales into insignificance compared to what the poor Ukrainian people are going through….……🤔

hm390

Ordered my Golf GTE Mk8 August 21 and currently being told build week 19…originally due November 21. Optional 18” alloys and paint.

Shadrack

Ordered my Golf GTE Mk8 August 21 and currently being told build week 19…originally due November 21. Optional 18” alloys and paint.
Similar to my spec ordered July, latest expected build wk 19. But I guess it will be pushed back yet again.
I have to chase for updates from dealer.
At one time I could go to the VW site with order number for latest build week, but that don’t seem to work no more. ?

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
Similar to my spec ordered July, latest expected build wk 19. But I guess it will be pushed back yet again.
At one time I could go to the VW site with order number for latest build week, but that don’t seem to work no more. ?
I tried to track mine too, talked with a VW agents and they said that I have to talk to the dealer itself.

Shadrack

my estimated build has just gone from 19 to week 26. That’s the fourth change.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
No, the tracker doesn’t work any more, although historically - based on the experience of many on various forums over the years who’ve used the tracker for updates on their cars’ build progress - the information was often inaccurate or unreliable anyway. I see VW has also removed the FAQ section relating to the various stages of a car’s build progress from their website.

I seem to remember reading a while back that one of the reasons the tracker has been removed was due to the (increased) unreliability of the tracker information as a result of factors outside of VW’s control (see below), and to try and reduce the number of customer queries to VWCS on the reason(s) for continually changing estimated build dates.

Pretty much all manufacturers of mass produced cars use the JIT (just in time) business model, and for JIT to work, it relies on an effective, reliable, continuous supply chain between the motor manufacturer and their suppliers for ongoing supplies of parts / components. What‘s being experienced now by pretty much all car manufacturers is supply chain disruption due to factors largely outside of their control - e.g. impact of the pandemic, semiconductor supply shortages, parts / component shortages resulting from the Ukraine conflict. These factors have resulted in temporary closure of some production facilities or production running at less than normal capacity / fewer shifts being worked, all of which makes it very difficult - if not impossible - for car manufacturers to plan when specific vehicles will be built and provide accurate information to a customer on which stage in the build process their car is at. I dare say that’s why any information on build week dates is likely to expressed as ‘expected’ or ‘estimated’, due to the likelihood any expected or estimated build week may change a number of times.

I think it’ll be some time before things get back to anything approaching normal levels of car production and lead times. Interestingly though, I recently read on the main VW Polo forum of a forum member’s new car being delivered in around 5-6 months from date of ordering, and that’s what would’ve been considered as normal prior to the pandemic (the Polo is built in Uitenhage, South Africa, so 6-8 weeks of that 5-6 month period would’ve related to transit of the car from South Africa to the UK dealer).