GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

DaveA

Has anyone ordered a Mk8 Style DSG in the past 3 to 4 months and got a build date yet? Ordered April standard spec with no extras and latest estimate is delivery November but not confirmed yet.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I‘ve not ordered a mk8 Golf, but longer wait times should be expected due to the impact that the worldwide shortage of semiconductors (computer chips) and Covid are having on pretty much all car manufacturers. Computer chips are critical components in modern cars (and many other products) so limited supplies will be having a marked impact on vehicle production levels. If you Google ‘semiconductor shortages and car manufacture’ you’ll find a number of recent media articles on the subject.

Many car makers are operating at reduced capacity - e.g. temporarily closing down some production lines, production workers on reduced hours (fewer or shorter shifts) because of a) Semiconductor supply issues and b) employees needing to self isolate either from contracting Covid or having been in contact with someone with Covid. Reduced production capacity will mean fewer cars are being built, so normal lead times will be adversely affected.

Forum member evo1986 over on golfgtiforum.co.uk is a VW general sales manager at a large UK dealership group and they posted the undernoted on that forum on 21st July;

Hi Everyone,

Just a word of warning for anyone with a vehicle on order, we have been instructed to pass on a letter from VW about current and future delays for any new cars.

Also today I noticed we have some cars that have now got scheduled build weeks for next March/April 2022
:sick:

Delays could certainly break any previous records

DaveA

Thank you for replying. I was aware of the chip shortage and extended wait times.
My question was more to do with VW prioritising higher value vehicles and wondered if anyone ordering a 'lowly' Golf Style had any progress with their orders.

Tony oddjob

Thank you for replying. I was aware of the chip shortage and extended wait times.
My question was more to do with VW prioritising higher value vehicles and wondered if anyone ordering a 'lowly' Golf Style had any progress with their orders.
Hi, I too ordered a etsi style in April, for delivery on Sept 1st, latest news was I probably wouldn't get it until next year! Cancelled the order and bought an October 2020 used one instead, good spec and only 4k miles, cost me 25 grand though, no discount at all. Fabulous car !

Sledge191

Has anyone ordered a Mk8 Style DSG in the past 3 to 4 months and got a build date yet? Ordered April standard spec with no extras and latest estimate is delivery November but not confirmed yet.
Hi I order my golf 8 r line dsg back in February. And still waiting no build date as yet. I have spoken to the dealer many times and even he has no idea when my car will be built. The dealer is trying his best and to be honest I didn't want to kick off with him as I no it's not his fault.

Tony oddjob

Hi All, Has anyone had a delivery update? Ordered a Mk8 Golf R back in April but delivery date still just rolling on and on!
Hi there, I ordered a etsi style back in April, cancelled the order as delivery was going into 2022, bought a late 2020 model instead, very pleased with it.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Please don’t think I’m gloating but to show how things have changed in the last 12 months a bought my Mk8 GTE last October. Between ordering and delivery - 10 days. I had a choice of about eight cars in various colours but all bog standard. Fortunately the GTE comes highly specified so happy not to wait for a few more bells and whistles that I might have been tempted to order. Went for Flipper grey.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I ordered my eHybrid with the extra optionals (winter pack, progressive steering, Park Assist) at the start of October 2020 and it arrived on the 20th of December 2020. The dealer couldn't believe that the car arrived so quick , he said I was very lucky. They had to keep it until the 06 of January when they reopened and the car was reg.

Last edited:

IcsGrec

I have ordered a MK8 Style 1.5TSI on October 7th and got an estimated delivery time of 40 weeks.
Hopefully a "miracle" will happen and it will arrive sooner, but with the chip shortage I highly doubt it...

MJC66

I was speaking to my dealer a week or so ago and was told that the current lead time is 40+ weeks for a Golf 2.0 TDI R Line unfortunately. This in reality could be a year. The same car with a 1.5 TSI 150 PS engine is quoted as 36 weeks. I don't think you would see one before the end of June next year. Also they do not anticipate lead times improving in the near future.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
MJC66 I hope your new Golf doesn’t arrive on the 28th June. That’s the day the plumber is coming to repair your water leak which you arranged with him last week.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Dealer told me cars were being delayed due to microchip shortage, seems difficult to believe but sadly it's true. I was kinda lucky: was quoted 'up to 16 weeks', car took about 8 weeks to arrive, was unbothered & in no particular hurry, even dealer was a bit surprised, so you never know & hopefully other peeps' ordered cars may arrive quicker than guestimates, fingers & toes crossed. Tip: once ordered don't think about your new car (much), bit like kids waching the calendar for birthdays & Christmas, it won't arrive any quicker and when it does, it will (hopefully) be a bit of a surprise....

GlasGaz

Ordered R-Line DSG with few extras in September, originally quoted 20 weeks delivery time however after several calls directly to Volkswagen UK now being told 35 to 40 weeks