GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

Ralphie137

Ridiculous. :(

We thought it'd be a great idea to get a PHEV to save a bit on petrol. Great how that one worked out. Petrol doubled in price, laid out for wallcharger etc, and here we sit with a thumb up our.. noses. I will say that our saleswoman is okay though, we get updates every now and then without having to ask for them. Just sucks that they're always negative lol.
I ordered a PHEV to save fuel and BiK but almost a year after ordering I’m wondering if I should have bothered.

My home charger will be more than a year into its warranty if my GTE turns up in September (unconfirmed delivery date) and has never been used in anger.

rayaans

Ready to race!
I ordered a PHEV to save fuel and BiK but almost a year after ordering I’m wondering if I should have bothered.

My home charger will be more than a year into its warranty if my GTE turns up in September (unconfirmed delivery date) and has never been used in anger.

Same here, charger installed in february this year. Not used once.

Just annoying.

Surely you should have had the charger installed when you know the build date and delivery time though? We got an EV last year, took a year to arrive, the salesman informed us when it was being built and we arranged for the charger to be installed at that point. It was still installed 2 weeks before delivery and even if it wasnt, in the mean time you can run a PHEV from a tesco charge point. Obviously with a full EV its harder.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Surely you should have had the charger installed when you know the build date and delivery time though? We got an EV last year, took a year to arrive, the salesman informed us when it was being built and we arranged for the charger to be installed at that point. It was still installed 2 weeks before delivery and even if it wasnt, in the mean time you can run a PHEV from a tesco charge point. Obviously with a full EV its harder.

Lets see, we ordered in November last year, and got quoted 6 months delivery time. The charger was installed in february (already with 6 weeks waiting time since they were busy due to the grant being changed and everyone jumping on it). The grant for the charger was changed/removed (for us) in April. But yeah, "surely".

You also have it backwards, why would you charge a PHEV on a tesco charge point? You get maybe 8 miles of range in an hour, whereas an actual EV in the same timeframe gets 100 and more.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I have been plugging my GTE into a 13 amp socket since I bought it 18 months ago. It takes 5 hours to fully charge. I have only once had to cut the charging short to make another journey. Decided that it wasn’t worth the bother/cost to save one hour and twenty minutes.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
I have been plugging my GTE into a 13 amp socket since I bought it 18 months ago. It takes 5 hours to fully charge. I have only once had to cut the charging short to make another journey. Decided that it wasn’t worth the bother/cost to save one hour and twenty minutes.

Futureproofing. And with the changes that come into effect next week (or the week after?) in regards to chargers, that was a great decision.

After the GTE the likelihood for a full EV is very high, if not certain (3-5 years). It's less about necessity (granny charging would've probably done for us too), and more about convenience/futureproofing. We also would've had to install a socket outside, since there's no way for us to get a cable through window or door without compromising security. Also makes taking advantage of Octopus Go easier/more convenient, although i don't know if you can start/stop charging via app in the GTE, so being able to do that at the charger might not be a particular advantage.

Ralphie137

My car is a company car and a condition of ordering was a confirmed order for a home charger. Apparently people were ordering PHEV’s for the lower BiK but not charging them!
The Golf was due by October 21 (renewal date) and at no time did Lex advise this wasn’t achievable so my charger was installed in September 21.

exesoundtech

My car is a company car and a condition of ordering was a confirmed order for a home charger. Apparently people were ordering PHEV’s for the lower BiK but not charging them!
The Golf was due by October 21 (renewal date) and at no time did Lex advise this wasn’t achievable so my charger was installed in September 21.
Ouch. As I have a house move imminent I didn't install a charger yet, but with the price of fuel and most of my trips coming within electric range, I certainly will be. But you do hear of plenty of people doing exactly as you describe!

Annoyingly with the Lex system, I did (in February) make it to car expected stock in 7 days before they kicked it out again. Then Ukraine happened which threw things into disarray again. Still, it's a first world problem compared to living in Ukraine so I won't grumble too much about being in a crummy hire car in the interim.

rayaans

Ready to race!
Lets see, we ordered in November last year, and got quoted 6 months delivery time. The charger was installed in february (already with 6 weeks waiting time since they were busy due to the grant being changed and everyone jumping on it). The grant for the charger was changed/removed (for us) in April. But yeah, "surely".

You also have it backwards, why would you charge a PHEV on a tesco charge point? You get maybe 8 miles of range in an hour, whereas an actual EV in the same timeframe gets 100 and more.

So let me understand correctly. You got the grant for having a charging point fitted (as many people did) yet you're now complaining about maybe being 1 year into the warranty when the vehicle is delivered? Maybe you should try to get some compensation for that from VW :ROFLMAO:

My point about the tesco charge point was if you really had no facilities to charge the car you could potentially use it. At the end of the day it still has a petrol engine to get you around so its hardly like you'd be handicapped waiting a few weeks for a charger to be fitted.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
So let me understand correctly. You got the grant for having a charging point fitted (as many people did) yet you're now complaining about maybe being 1 year into the warranty when the vehicle is delivered? Maybe you should try to get some compensation for that from VW :ROFLMAO:

My point about the tesco charge point was if you really had no facilities to charge the car you could potentially use it. At the end of the day it still has a petrol engine to get you around so its hardly like you'd be handicapped waiting a few weeks for a charger to be fitted.

You're not understanding correctly, and frankly i can't be bothered to ELI5 it.

Small sidenote, since it's funny: a trip to Tescos for us is a 30 miles round trip. Even if we'd drive there to "use their facilities", charge for four hours and drive back home, we'd have used all the charge and then some on top. Joys of living rural. Not that you'd have known, since you know nothing about our circumstances, yet here we are, explaining to me what we should and shouldn't have done. Keep going.

Oh, and a delay of 6+ months accumulates more cost than just lost value on the charger. For no reason, might i add, since we ordered the car well close to the "end" of the pandemic, and it was delayed by 5 months already by the time Ukraine was invaded. We based our appointments on the time frame they've given us, you damn right i'm going to complain if that was bs.

rayaans

Ready to race!
You're not understanding correctly, and frankly i can't be bothered to ELI5 it.

Small sidenote, since it's funny: a trip to Tescos for us is a 30 miles round trip. Even if we'd drive there to "use their facilities", charge for four hours and drive back home, we'd have used all the charge and then some on top. Joys of living rural. Not that you'd have known, since you know nothing about our circumstances, yet here we are, explaining to me what we should and shouldn't have done. Keep going.

Oh, and a delay of 6+ months accumulates more cost than just lost value on the charger. For no reason, might i add, since we ordered the car well close to the "end" of the pandemic, and it was delayed by 5 months already by the time Ukraine was invaded. We based our appointments on the time frame they've given us, you damn right i'm going to complain if that was bs.

The only reason I said Tescos was because the chargers are readily available and free to use for shoppers. You can still use a domestic plug if it came down to that. Do you have those in rural Britain or are you still relying on oil lamps?

You say you ordered in November - thats exactly the same time that I was searching and we were told the delivery time may change with some models, mainly the performance models being close to 7-8 months at that time. We ended up ordering in December after waiting a little as we're not in any rush unlike some people on here.

To be honest, it sounds like you put too much faith in the salesman, you do realise they regularly come up as the lowest trusted profession along with politicians right? I mean you can probably complain all you want but Its unlikely to change anything - might be more worthwhile complaining to the dealer than a forum

DenisV

Can we please keep the toxic comments focused on VW horrible time management instead of each other?

That being said. Checked the devtools network tab again, status is still set to "scheduled" and still for week 25 (this week). Fingers crossed that they'll finaly build it. Last update from the dealer postponed it (again) to mid-september which would be about 17 months since I ordered (end of March 2021).

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Can we please keep the toxic comments focused on VW horrible time management instead of each other?

That being said. Checked the devtools network tab again, status is still set to "scheduled" and still for week 25 (this week). Fingers crossed that they'll finaly build it. Last update from the dealer postponed it (again) to mid-september which would be about 17 months since I ordered (end of March 2021).
17 months 😳. Wow 😯 . That’s crazy 😠.

rayaans

Ready to race!

17 months is crazy. Which model? Would be interesting to know the options too.

Hopefully they do build it. Can anyone else beat 17 months?!

DenisV

GTE. I've given some info and updates throughout this thread.

tl;dr First date was set to October 2021. Postponed to November, then December, then April, then August and now September.

Stock with Discover Pro audio, Winter Pack and Light & Sight pack. Nothing too exotic I think. Just a bit of bad luck I guess.