GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
17 months is crazy. Which model? Would be interesting to know the options too.

Hopefully they do build it. Can anyone else beat 17 months?!
There’s a forum member over on golfgtiforum.co.uk who ordered their GTI in April 2021 and has very recently been told their estimated build month is now Feb 2023, so 22 months 😮. Admittedly Feb 2023 isn’t a confirmed build month so could continue to move, but illustrates the seemingly chaotic state VW‘s Wolfsburg production facility is currently in.

By comparison, Polo production for the UK market seems much less chaotic. Members over on uk-polos.net forum have been experiencing lead times of around 5-7 months, which includes an ocean transit of around 6-8 weeks from the factory to the UK (UK Polos are built in VW‘s Kariega production facility In South Africa).

Last edited:

rayaans

Ready to race!
There’s a forum member over on golfgtiforum.co.uk who ordered their GTI in April 2021 and has very recently been told their estimated build month is now Feb 2023, so 22 months 😮. Admittedly Feb 2023 isn’t a confirmed build month so could continue to move, but illustrates the seemingly chaotic state VW‘s Wolfsburg production facility is currently in.

By comparison, Polo production for the UK market seems much less chaotic. Members over on uk-polos.net forum have been experiencing lead times of around 5-7 months, which includes an ocean transit of around 6-8 weeks from the factory to the UK (UK Polos are built in VW‘s Kariega production facility In South Africa).

Chaotic indeed and very unusual. I wonder if it's certain options and my theory does seem to be right but obviously unable to prove it

On a side note:

December 2021 - Order confirmed
January 2022 - Week 23
February 2022 - Week 38
March 2022 - Week 45
April 2022 - Week 39
May 2022 - Week 00 (Preparation for MY23 factory changes)
6th June 2022 - Week 46
22nd June 2022 - Week 40

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Chaotic indeed and very unusual. I wonder if it's certain options and my theory does seem to be right but obviously unable to prove it

On a side note:

December 2021 - Order confirmed
January 2022 - Week 23
February 2022 - Week 38
March 2022 - Week 45
April 2022 - Week 39
May 2022 - Week 00 (Preparation for MY23 factory changes)
6th June 2022 - Week 46
22nd June 2022 - Week 40

Not necessarily just options. There will be multiple supply chains within the vehicle manufacturing sector between raw materials suppliers, parts and components manufacturers and the vehicle manufacture, and it only takes a disruption to one of those supply chains and the whole Just In Time business model used by motor manufacturers can soon be severely impacted.

I dare say those options that incorporate semiconductors could certainly be impacting the build of some vehicles, but we’ll never know. In ‘normal’ times, there‘ve been attempts on other forums by members to understand why some customers experience excessively long lead times and others don’t - in particular, whether or not it was down to certain options. However, I don’t think anyone has ever been able to get to the bottom of it.

I know it’s no consolation, but it’s not just VW. I read on another forum today that the current lead time for a Hyundai i20N (small hot hatch) is currently 20 months. On the good news front; I also read on the Polo forum earlier today of a forum member who ordered a Polo GTI in February this year and their car has been built and is awaiting shipment to the UK. It’s expected to arrive at the dealers for delivery mid August - that’s pretty much 6 months from ordering to the customer collecting the car. So even VW can get it right - but evidently not with the Golf 🤔.

Last edited:

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Speaking to my dealer last week, and he said that current estimated time for high performance Golfs, and for some reason the Style version, is currently 60 weeks.
They keep repeating its a chip and wiring loom issue.
Also saw a report that VW cars destined for Australia will not have some of the features installed. Prospective buyers will be given the option to accept the car without certain features, with monetary compensation, or continue the wait if they want what they ordered.

exesoundtech

OK, so I just had a (slightly cryptic) update on my order with Lex. Apparently my "stock date" has changed from 29/07 to 23/06. Which the astute will notice is today :cool:. They are giving me a delivery estimate of 06-07/07/2022 so I'm guessing that means it's built and just needs to find it's way to me via a dealer! Keeping fingers very much crossed... 🤞

DenisV

Just checked again in my browser's devtools on myvolkswagen.be and status just switched from "Scheduled" to "In Production".

Might check in with my dealer next week and see if they have any more info on how reliable this information is.

Edit:
For reference. The order was there since April 2021 but alwas as conformed but nothing more. About a month ago it switched to Freeze and got a build week (25). A week later it switched to Scheduled and today it switched to In Production.

Last edited:

Raikesy

Are there any on here waiting on a GTI? I don’t see much mention of GTI orders here. Ordered ours in September 2021, last update we had put us on a September build date but no updates for the last month

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Are there any on here waiting on a GTI? I don’t see much mention of GTI orders here. Ordered ours in September 2021, last update we had put us on a September build date but no updates for the last month
Not a GTI, but a GTD. Same bodywork and features just a different engine.
I’m guessing yours is still a provisional date? I’m also provisional September build, so far!!
I used to think they do cars in batches, a large run of a particular variant, but I think in reality they’ve got all sorts going down the production line, based on the order, where you are in the queue, what parts are available, and probably just a bit of luck.
I know that they are building GTD’s at the moment, so parts are available, but they still can’t lock down my build date.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
You might be better asking your question on the mk8 forum board over on golfgtiforum.co.uk and / or using the search facility on that forum. Most forum members on that forum are performance Golf owners, including lots of GTI owners, plus some would-be GTI owners who’ve got a new car on order.

Lead times of over a year for performance Golfs seem to be the norm at the moment. Historically VW used to update the build status of a car’s order to ‘confirmed’ around a month before the car was actually built - I don’t know if this is a still the case.

JonE

Update 21/6/22 on my GTD ordered 12/02/22.

Just a quick update for you on your new car that you have ordered, nothing has changed currently on the order status, we are still at status 10. The expected build week is currently week 4 in 2023 but this can move around as mentioned previously.

JayH04

Order Update: Finally Delivered!!!

Ordered in May 2021, built in March 2022, delivered today! R-Line with options of High Beam Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Electric Folding Mirrors and a few others I can’t quite remember!

Drives like a dream - the DSG is super smooth compared to the Polo I had 5 years back.

They seems to have also sorted the software and hardware issues with the infotainment - it’s super smooth and responsive and no issues with connecting to CarPlay or anything else.

Hope you all get some good news

Attachments

• 59D3A30D-6B6A-4297-9974-0864F7C8CD37.jpeg
    59D3A30D-6B6A-4297-9974-0864F7C8CD37.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151

adam2231

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve got a GTI ordered. The UK forum mostly has ClubSports on order.

I ordered by GTI in Poland this Feb ‘21. First update was week 35, now pushed to week 45.
I did order HK, and a couple of order options. So we’ll see what happens.

exesoundtech

So, just had a call from the lovely people at JCB in Kent for my Lex Automotive ordered GTE. Seems they have my car on site! Just agreed a delivery on 7th July :cool:

Last edited:

AlexHobune

Всем здравствуйте. Я с интересом читаю этот форум с тех пор, как 14 декабря 2021 года заказал через лизинговую компанию Golf GTD в цвете Daytona Grey (без дополнительных услуг). проблемы цепочки поставок. Ничего не слышал до мая, когда мне сказали, что это сборка на 20-й неделе, после чего все стихло до сегодняшнего дня - он должен быть у дилера через 14 дней! Итак, похоже, что кое-кто наконец-то появился… Скрестим за вас пальцы, что скоро вы получите приятные новости.
🙏🙏🙏