GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi all, another frustrated newbie here. Just to add my experience this far, Golf Mk8 Estate, middle-of-the-range 'dad car' ordered July 2021, order number 313xxxxx, ordered from a VW franchise dealer in Scotland. Was told at the time 3-4 months, then possibly Jan 2022, and since then they won't give any estimate at all. Last time I chased, a couple of weeks back, I was essentially told that they had literally no info at all, and it would appear at some point! Tried calling VW customer services and got the same answer.

For info, its bog standard Pure White, and options were privacy glass, Harmon Kardon stereo upgrade, spare wheel and parking camera. Precise model is "VW Golf Estate Golf 8 5 Door 1.5 eTSI mHEV 150 Style DSG"

I'm not banking on it this year....
Based on discussions on vwroc.com forum, Harman Kardon seems to be one of the options that is causing build delays on the mk8 Golf R - presumably HK themselves have supply chain issues as a result of ongoing semiconductor shortages. I dare say all Golf models (not just the R) where buyers have spec’d the HK audio upgrade will be impacted. VW have also removed the HK option from the Golf for new orders for the time being (it’s no longer shown on the configurator on VW UK website).

There could well be other supply chain issues affecting production - e.g. unavailability of other semiconductor-dependent parts and components, the situation in Ukraine (a primary location for manufacture of car wiring looms before the conflict started). The next supply issue might be automotive glass - forum member @The Fed recently posted the undernoted link to the undernoted article on the mk7 R forum board concerning a potential automotive glass shortage. The processes to manufacture automotive glass relies on large quantities of natural gas, and with the soaring energy costs, it seems there’s a threat to the glass supply chain. VW have apparently been stockpiling windscreens, but presumably that will only address short term supply issues.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...d5fa4406f857a0703fe206efc28a#image=AA11bcFb|8

graeme_ncl

Thanks for the info, really helpful. I did have an incling that the HK upgrade could be a large part of the problem here, but I guess there's nothing to do than keep waiting. You'd think that VW could contact customers, if this was the case, and give them the option to remove that item from the spec to speed things up. Wishful thinking! Cheers.

rayaans

Ready to race!
Hi all, another frustrated newbie here. Just to add my experience this far, Golf Mk8 Estate, middle-of-the-range 'dad car' ordered July 2021, order number 313xxxxx, ordered from a VW franchise dealer in Scotland. Was told at the time 3-4 months, then possibly Jan 2022, and since then they won't give any estimate at all. Last time I chased, a couple of weeks back, I was essentially told that they had literally no info at all, and it would appear at some point! Tried calling VW customer services and got the same answer.

For info, its bog standard Pure White, and options were privacy glass, Harmon Kardon stereo upgrade, spare wheel and parking camera. Precise model is "VW Golf Estate Golf 8 5 Door 1.5 eTSI mHEV 150 Style DSG"

I'm not banking on it this year....

As mentioned already it seems to be the HK which is causing a lot of issues at the moment. For reference ours is a 1.5Tsi R line Hatchback but with pan roof, rear camera, spare wheel, keyless entry and winter pack and its due late this year so exactly 12 months since ordering. It could change mind but Ive been keeping monthly tabs and its moved maybe 1 month in either direction at most.

graeme_ncl

As mentioned already it seems to be the HK which is causing a lot of issues at the moment. For reference ours is a 1.5Tsi R line Hatchback but with pan roof, rear camera, spare wheel, keyless entry and winter pack and its due late this year so exactly 12 months since ordering. It could change mind but Ive been keeping monthly tabs and its moved maybe 1 month in either direction at most.
Thanks, yes it does sound likely. Oh well, I've waited this long, may as well continue. It's become a bit of a joke within the family!

As an aside, how are you (and others) seeing updates as to your car's estimated build date? My VW dealer resolutely tells me absolutely nothing (and claims that they can't see anything whenever I ask them).

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, yes it does sound likely. Oh well, I've waited this long, may as well continue. It's become a bit of a joke within the family!

As an aside, how are you (and others) seeing updates as to your car's estimated build date? My VW dealer resolutely tells me absolutely nothing (and claims that they can't see anything whenever I ask them).
Generally speaking, VW have never been good (to put it mildly) with communication - either with customers or internally within their own organisation and dealership network. Therefore, it’s quite possible your dealer hasn’t been provided with any information on the build progress - or lack of build progress - of your car.

With all the supply chain issues over the last couple of years and the impact of Covid, I dare say VW have a sizeable backlog of vehicle orders to build. Some dealerships and individual salespeople are better at providing customer updates than others - over the previous years, I’ve had experience ranging from poor to very good communication from different salespeople within the same dealership. Back in 2011 when I was waiting for my mk6 Golf to be built, the salesperson I was dealing with updated me every two weeks on build progress, even if there wasn’t anything to update. I really appreciated the updates as my expectations were being managed.

Last edited:

Rick A

I do not routinely get updates on my order from my dealer, however I email the salesperson every month or so and he is very good about emailing me back with the latest build week information. As far as I know the dealer regularly looks up all their outstanding orders on a system and records that information against each customer's order to keep track of progress.

I believe that information available to the dealers from VW is very limited.

graeme_ncl

I do not routinely get updates on my order from my dealer, however I email the salesperson every month or so and he is very good about emailing me back with the latest build week information. As far as I know the dealer regularly looks up all their outstanding orders on a system and records that information against each customer's order to keep track of progress.

I believe that information available to the dealers from VW is very limited.
Just called my dealer and when pressed they said it says build week 00.

I asked what would happen if i amended the order to take the HK option off, and he said he would recommend against it as it would count as a new order and reset its position in the queue...

rayaans

Ready to race!
Just called my dealer and when pressed they said it says build week 00.

I asked what would happen if i amended the order to take the HK option off, and he said he would recommend against it as it would count as a new order and reset its position in the queue...
Build week 00 usually means it'll be the next year.

I just email the dealer every month as well and get a reply within a few days

graeme_ncl

Standard Golf GTE, ordered July 21.

Update today - Est delivery March 23!

Company car and still have my ‘old’ one but come on VW.
Oh wow. July 21 order here too. Joy! (Mistake I made was selling my old one a few months after ordering this, assuming it must be nearly here... how little I knew..)

rayaans

Ready to race!
December 2021 - Order confirmed
January 2022 - Week 23
February 2022 - Week 38
March 2022 - Week 45
April 2022 - Week 39
May 2022 - Week 00 (Preparation for MY23 factory changes)
6th June 2022 - Week 46
22nd June 2022 - Week 40
July 2022 - Week 49
August 2022 - Week 45
September 2022 - Week 48

Seems to have stabilised since June for ours. Only seems to be about 9 weeks here and there

toejamtam

Fiiiinaly got a confirmed build week. Not given exact week but estimated arrival of early Nov. Order placed 1 week OCT 21