GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There’s a possibility that VW may be focusing on prioritising building EV’s over ICE cars in Q4 of the year to limit the level of EU emissions-based fines levied on them in 2022. That could help explain the lengthy wait times some owners are experiencing if VW are currently churning out high volumes of zero emissions ID.3‘s, 4’s and 5’s at the expense of ‘dirty’ petrol / diesel engined cars. They might not be doing this but it’s a possibility.

The EU is a very important market for VW and the emissions based fines imposed on them could be significant if the mix of cars they builds is heavily skewed towards ICE cars with high CO2 emissions. VW’s ICE cars do tend to be quite ‘dirty’ - even the smallest ICE they produce the 1.0 litre up! city car has CO2 emissions of 115g per km, and some of the performance models and SUV‘s have CO2 emissions in excess of 200g/km. The 2022 EU CO2 emissions target a car manufacturer has to meet for their overall fleet of new cars built and registered is 95g per km, and for each gram of CO2 above the target, they are fined €95 per new car registered.

VW sold 1, 274,137 new cars in the EU in 2021 (source; statista.com). VW’s 2021 average CO2 emissions for the EU passenger car fleet was 118.5g/km (https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/new...forward-decarbonization-and-overfulfils-.html).

Therefore, VW’s 2021 emissions fines would have been in the region of €2.8 - €2.9 billion; see below. The calculation is unlikely to be as simple as this, but illustrates the size of the fine that would be levied on them.
  • Cars built / sold registered 1,274,137
  • Fleet average CO2 emissions 118.5g/km, so 23.5g/km above the 95g/km fleet average target
  • Fine amount; 1,274,137 x 23.5 x €95 = €2.8445 billion
VW is highly unlikely to bear the cost of those fines themselves - it’ll form part of the retail price paid by customers when they buy a new VW car - in the above example, emissions based fines represents an average amount of €2,232.50 per car. VW may choose to spread the cost of these EU fines across total worldwide sales rather than apply it to EU only sales. If so, then the €2,232,50 per EU vehicle becomes €580.88 per car sold worldwide (2021 VW worldwide car sales; 4,896,900, figure sourced from data at the link below)
https://www.best-selling-cars.com/b...oup-worldwide-deliveries-by-brand-and-market/

IMHO, interesting and food for thought 🤔.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Wouldn't explain why they removed the GTE as well, which, as a sidenote, wasn't available for order in germany for over half a year either. I'm pretty sure the performance models come back soon, you can still order them in europe. As a sidenote, there's no overlap in production between Golfs and ID cars - different production lines. The IDs are built in Zwickau and Dresden, the Golf in Wolfsburg. Waiting times for EVs are as bad and worse ad for the Golf, too. Not implying that what you're saying is wrong, i just don't believe that it's the reason for the current lack of performance models.

edit: the Passat is still available as GTE, Polo still has R-Line and GTI trim, the Tiguan still comes as R, Taigo still has the R-Line, T-Roc still has R-Line and R, so does the Arteon etc. Your argument could be made for the Golf R/GTI/GTD, but not really for the R-Line when the Style is still for sale, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Locky

Hey, I ordered a Golf Style (non-performance model) February this year and I've been told that in January my car will be produced although I think it will be more than that. Sometimes its like delays are on all models instead of performance only and even that I've read about people receiving performance models in less than 6 months.
I’ve ordered a Mk8 R estate this month been told expected delivery in March 2023 which I thought seemed pretty good considering the delays I’ve been hearing some people having only time will tell.

scott135

New to this forum and also been lurking for a while… I ordered a Style petrol, no major additions except different alloys and metallic paint. This was in September. I chased for an estimated build date and have been told mid November with delivery in December or January. Does this seem realistic? Given everything I’ve read to have a build date so soon after ordering doesn’t seem right so can’t work out if I’m just being fobbed off. The original wait I was told when I ordered was 6-9 months.

HugoGT

New to this forum and also been lurking for a while… I ordered a Style petrol, no major additions except different alloys and metallic paint. This was in September. I chased for an estimated build date and have been told mid November with delivery in December or January. Does this seem realistic? Given everything I’ve read to have a build date so soon after ordering doesn’t seem right so can’t work out if I’m just being fobbed off. The original wait I was told when I ordered was 6-9 months.
It would seem as though the non performance Golfs are coming through at a reasonable pace now however I would be wary as if you have an unconfirmed build date it is still subject to change - ask your dealer as if it’s confirmed it shouldn’t move at all from now given it’s only in 2 weeks or so.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
A 4-5 month lead time from order to delivery does seem a little optimistic. However, it may be possible;
  • if there was an existing order already in the system that a) was a cancelled customer order and b) was the colour / spec you wanted and the dealer has been able to do an allocation grab and allocate it to you.
or​
  • if the dealer had an existing order in the system for a demonstrator or stock vehicle, they have been able to change the order details to match car’s spec to your requirements before it had been given a confirmed build date (once it has a confirmed build date, the spec is ‘locked down’ and no further spec changes can be made).
As @HugoGT has said, until you have a confirmed build date, nothing is certain. I’ve read that some dealers aren’t giving estimated build dates to customers, as in the current environment these estimated dates have a habit of continually changing - more often than not they get moved back, resulting in longer than expected wait times, which is very frustrating and annoying for customers.

scott135

Thank you for your replies. The message I got was that it “is due” to be built in mid November and the car will arrive as above… “as the date gets closer the delivery date will be more accurate…”

Maybe I got lucky. Guess I’ll soon find out if the date sticks or is pushed back. I’ll contact them again in a few weeks if not heard anything.

adam2231

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, I got tired of waiting for my GTI. In the meantime I came across a MK4.5 Focus ST that was similarly speced back in August. I've picked it up on Monday and I am loving every minute of it.

I got tired of the waiting and constant pushing back. I wish you all the best of luck waiting for your cars. Hopefully VW still delivering the Golfs a little faster.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Can see the point of ordering new if specific options are wanted ie paint, packs, etc , also many buy on PCP , or other schemes but its not for me would rather buy used or nearly new , I have never used the PCP option.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
If you are not concerned about options and colours it’s possible to buy new Golfs for immediate collection. There are currently 7 available advertised in Autotrader.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Can see the point of ordering new if specific options are wanted ie paint, packs, etc , also many buy on PCP , or other schemes but its not for me would rather buy used or nearly new , I have never used the PCP option.
May be not now, but when I bought my car in 2020 it was quite often possible to buy a new car at a lower price than a similarly spec’d nearly new car of the same make and model. From my most recent car buying experience, I found that dealers weren’t willing to discount the price of used or nearly new cars by more than a few hundred pounds, but with a new car they were much more generous and flexible on discounts, and if buying on PCP, there were worthwhile finance deposit contributions too. Things are quite different know though.

With my current car (bought new), I negotiated a good discount with a local VW dealer and also took VW’s PCP to get the benefit of a generous finance deposit contribution. However, I exercised my right to withdraw from the PCP within the statutory 14 day cooling off period under UK consumer legislation and paid off the finance in full. Withdrawing from the PCP during the cooling off period meant I got to keep the finance deposit contribution and overall, the price I paid for my car matched the best broker price (Drive the Deal) at the time, and it was less than I’d have paid for an equivalent nearly new car.

Sadly times have changed; new car buyers are now faced with very long lead times, there are less generous dealer discounts, and for those buying on PCP finance. lower (or no) finance deposit contribution. Nearly new car prices are very strong too - sometimes more than the list price if buying new; that’s the price to pay to avoid a long wait for a new car, and IMHO an element greed on the part of the dealer. Also, for anyone using finance to purchase their car, VW have just increased the APR from 6.9% to 9.2% (new cars) under their Solutions PCP finance product. For approved used VW’s, the APR is even higher 12.4% 😲, which makes the cost of buying a depreciating asset such as a car very expensive……🤔

I doubt we’ll see the return of generous discounts any time soon - if ever. It’s also in the car manufacturer’s best interests financially to control supply and build fewer cars; if demand exceeds supply then they don’t need to offer generous discounts or financial incentives to sell their cars, and their profit margin per vehicle increases.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats what I did took the PCP deal then paid off the amount in a few days after purchase, as said many dealer have a steady stream of new cars coming in , may be not enough but there are cars out there.

JuliaPad

I ordered new as I could get brand new for less than a car a year old. At the moment a 1 year old Golf GTD is around £5k more expensive than the one I have in order. Made no sense to buy second hand

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yeah I order my in oct last year golf gtd at 6.9 Apr I will wait for my I want my dealer to take my old car and give me a Courtesy car why I wait this is not good enough from vw and dealer's
Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll be provided with a dealership courtesy car for what might be a long wait for your new car. Dealerships will have a limited number of courtesy cars and those they do have are intended for short term use by customers having their cars serviced or repaired.

Many of the factors impacting on wait times are outside VW’s and other car manufacturers’ control - e.g. initially Covid, then ongoing semiconductor shortages and latterly the Ukrainian war. The supply chain within the motor manufacturing industry is very complex, with motor manufacturers being reliant on multiple suppliers. With the ‘just in time’ business model used by car manufacturers, it only takes one supplier to have supply chain issues themselves and they’re then potentially unable to make or supply parts or components to VW and other car manufacturers, and car production lines either stop or operate at a reduced capacity. Alternative suppliers can be sought, but it takes time for new production processes to be set up by those alternative suppliers where non-generic parts / components are concerned (e.g. parts that are unique to VW vehicles).

I read recently that there could be issues with the manufacture of certain European manufactured automotive components due to the impact of reduced gas supplies needed for their manufacture. VW have been stockpiling windscreens and other car glass because of automotive glass shortages caused by the energy crisis.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/here-...les-windshields-due-to-looming-glass-shortage

All of the above contribute to new car lead times which I know is no consolation to you while you’re waiting, but to try and put a positive spin on your situation - from what you’ve said in your post you do at least you have your existing car while you’re waiting so you’re still able to keep mobile, and you‘re not suffering depreciation or running costs of your new car.

You could always consider cancelling your order and consider sourcing an in-stock new unregistered Golf from VW’s dealership network - there are likely to be some available, although you may be restricted on trim level, colour and spec. Alternatively, you could consider other makes of vehicle, although if you place a new factory order you may be faced with an equally long wait time.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Supply might soon match demand. Recession would reduce demand and production could continue to be limited due to energy and chip shortages