GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Orders

rayaans

Ready to race!
While I understand your frustration, getting a new car just before a facelift or next generation model arrives has never bothered me - it’s still a new car to me, and I’m not bothered about not having the latest model. The facelift model is also likely to cost considerably more than the price you’ve agreed for the car you have on order.

Not to mention if you order a facelift one it'll probably take 2 years to get it

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@m4in - totally agree.

Of the five VW’s I’ve owned from new, most - if not all - of them were bought pretty close to the end of the model life of those cars. They were still new, they had the new car smell, they had a three year new car warranty, any teething troubles (if there were any) had been sorted with those models and when the time comes to sell them, I‘ve never been penalised on price because I have they an ‘old’ model - I take good care of my cars and they were all pretty much immaculate when I sold them.

As for the mk8 facelift (the mk8.5?) - with facelifts of previous VW models, it’s not unknown for VW to cut costs and penny pinch to help offset the cost of some of the changes, so some of the features that owners like and appreciate on the current model might not be there on the facelift model (VW dropped dual zone climate control on some models of the mk5 Golf and substituted it with standard air con - my mk5 Golf came with the latter but it did the job just fine). The facelift might also be pig ugly 😮 🤣 (admittedly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

With my current 2020 Polo GTI+, the facelift Polo model range was unveiled six months after I took delivery of my car. Did it bother me? Not in the slightest. Did I wish I’d waited? No. Did I want one? Not at all - there was very little about the facelift model that I preferred over my car and my opinion hasn’t changed. The facelift also cost quite a bit more than I paid for my car, so I’d have been spending significantly more money for a car that would’ve offered very little extra.

Existing model or forthcoming facelift? A bit of a first world problem IMHO.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the "reserved" part of the battery is the bottom, not the top, no? To prevent deep-discharge (which leads to boiling the electrolyte/puffing, and will damage your battery). So once your GoM says "0" and battery empty, it still has like 15% charge to preserve itself. That's how i understood it. I've never heard that they reserve the "top" part of the battery too - which doesn't mean that they're not doing it, obviously, it's just news to me.

Do you have any source on that (because if you're correct then i don't know as much as i thought i was, and would like to read up)?

There is nothing in the handbook that recommends charging to 80%. I’m sure VW would say if charging to 100% would damage the battery, after all, they would have no wish to pay out warranty claims for knackered batteries 😳. I have had my Mk8 GTE for 28 months. I fully charge after every journey and have seen no fall off in range (taking into account temperature, speed, hills, heater and air conditioning). If I only charged to 80% I feel the range would be inadequate.

Last edited:

m4in

Go Kart Newbie
Well, it does say to "fully charge the battery before long journeys (Page 260 battery care)" which would be redundant if you're expected to always fully charge the battery anyway.

I do agree that particularly in the current weather 80% is a bit on the low end, and i'll probably end up just eating the potential degradation up and charge to 100% (mainly because i can't figure out how to limit it to 80%-90% and we charge at night, so i can't manually turn it off without faffing with departure times) - i'd still be interested, accurately, which way "the correct" way would be.

I genuinely don't think that they restrict charge in the background. I just double checked in the manual for the Ioniq 5, they don't ask you to "limit" charging either despite it being well known that you should. The reason i'm a bit "paranoid" is simply because i've ruined batteries (albeit not this expensive/big) in the past by both general degradation as well as over-discharging etc (remote controlled cars).

Ah well.. It's what it is.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Rightly or wrongly I always assumed that the 2.1 unavailable was equally split between the battery being fully charged and flat.

iulianm

I went yesterday to see this Mk8 GTI Autobahn; I like the cloth seats and for for some reasons it had cloth seats and they were giving back ~$1.2k.
Took me ~25 mins to get to the dealership and when I arrived, the car was already sold. (the sales agent was trying to find it in the lot when he got the news as well).
It was lacking H&K as well and they were crediting back $375 for it.
New-2023-Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-Autobahn-ID5950856345-a-HR0c-Dov-L2lt-YWdlcy51bml0c2ludm-Vud-G9ye...jpggti (1).jpg
Sticker:
Screenshot_2023-02-18_at_2.17.55_PM.png

renkpz

Just received a message from the dealership. Building week 13 is confirmed for my GTI Clubsport (pretty much full extras).
Finally, after almost 2 years of waiting (July 2021), I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Fingers crossed!

Locky

Just received a message from the dealership. Building week 13 is confirmed for my GTI Clubsport (pretty much full extras).
Finally, after almost 2 years of waiting (July 2021), I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Fingers crossed!
Amazing news ! I’ve also today received news of confirmed build week 13 for my Golf R estate !

Hypezokos

Got BW4 2023 out of nowhere! Surely they don't provide an update of a date so close to the actual date to then miss it again?
In any case, they have got me excited again. The car is fantastic, too, I had my exact spec (!) as a rental over the holidays with AVIS. Given how much discount they must be getting one wonders how it's higher priority...
And it turned out, they did.
Confirmed BW passed with no updates and 4 weeks later we're back to "might build some time in March, currently not confirmed".
Fantastic :)))))

GTIAUSI

Iv been contemplating on should I or shouldn’t I post this because I didn’t want to come across as gloating or rubbing it in & decided to post in the end because I don’t want the dealers to be getting away with selling your orders at a higher price. I live in Australia & ordered my gti on 8th march 2022 with sunroof, hud, hk&19adelaide wheels . My dealership sent me pics of arrival 10th Feb & I picked it up on 16th Feb . Anyone of u guys that have made your order before mine need to seriously question your dealer as to why someone that has ordered after you have got their vehicles

Attachments

• 7045F734-E250-476A-BA20-2ACCDA0086E2.jpeg
    7045F734-E250-476A-BA20-2ACCDA0086E2.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 132
  • 58B40C74-D38F-4982-9B94-7C46BF998E88.jpeg
    58B40C74-D38F-4982-9B94-7C46BF998E88.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 33834A0E-825E-4148-9025-35E8D0915FAC.jpeg
    33834A0E-825E-4148-9025-35E8D0915FAC.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 130
  • EE38716D-6EB7-49FA-BF91-9561182B231C.jpeg
    EE38716D-6EB7-49FA-BF91-9561182B231C.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 129

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Got BW4 2023 out of nowhere! Surely they don't provide an update of a date so close to the actual date to then miss it again?
In any case, they have got me excited again. The car is fantastic, too, I had my exact spec (!) as a rental over the holidays with AVIS. Given how much discount they must be getting one wonders how it's higher priority...

And it turned out, they did.
Confirmed BW passed with no updates and 4 weeks later we're back to "might build some time in March, currently not confirmed".
Fantastic :)))))

I read recently on one VW forum that VW’s Wolfsburg factory where the Golf is built is currently running around 11 weeks behind schedule. So if that’s still the case, then your car‘s build week is more likely to be week 15 (i.e. your original confirmed build week 4 plus 11) which is mid April.

Hopefully VW are working at reducing that 11 week period and get back on track; maybe they are, hence the comment that your car ‘might build some time in March’.

Daveh17

Hi all, update on my R Line ordered in Dec 21. Dealer has advised build “confirmed” end of Jan. Hoping it’s finally in production but no idea of timescales for transporting to the UK.
Not overly convinced I’ll have it before March!
Update. So my build was week 4. Car was built but then slightly delayed due to the mild hybrid. Today dealer advised my car is on the ship to the UK. Should be with the dealer soon.

scott135

Finally had notification that my car has arrived in the UK, so just waiting on it to get to the dealer. Ordered September 22 (bog standard dad golf, before price and interest rate increases). Was just reading through all the paperwork that was sent at the time and noticed a clause saying the dealer can increase the price to be paid if VW put their prices up. The broker was keen I place the order before end of September to ensure I got the deal before price increases.

How likely is it that they will do this? The dealer has been a nightmare throughout and haven’t trusted a word they say so I wouldn’t put it past them.

DenverPete

Fingers crossed!
I Know the feeling! I also placed my order in July 2021 for the GTE. I had some extras: Leather Upholstery, Rear Camera, Head-Up Display & Metalic Paint. I have not moved from the initial status 10. However the end of April does give me a glimmer of hope. Let me know how you get on?

HugoGT

I Know the feeling! I also placed my order in July 2021 for the GTE. I had some extras: Leather Upholstery, Rear Camera, Head-Up Display & Metalic Paint. I have not moved from the initial status 10. However the end of April does give me a glimmer of hope. Let me know how you get on?
You and me both Pete! (Re status 10)

I’ve had news from the dealer that we’re now looking at week 25 for our GTE (ordered Oct 21) but still unconfirmed.

He also says all orders have been stopped for PHEV so that isn’t a good sign either!

Good luck, keep us all posted. Hopefully we’ll both get our cars before the year ends!