GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 Service Interval

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Our car is indicating its next (ie first) service is due at 20k miles or two years (currently on 4,200 miles and 8 months old). Is that the same for all Mk8s?

Pinocchio

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it's 10,000 miles or 12 months, first service is an intermediate. Mine went in at 1 yr old with 4k on clock and dealer rang me to book car in.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Yes - that was the interval for our Mk7.5. Which is why I'm wondering about the 20k / 2 year interval now being indicated by the car.....

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@Handydave; Sounds like your car is on the long life / flexible service regime and your mk7.5 was set to annual / time and distance servicing.

I think the default from the factory is long life / flexible. I have a service plan with my car and one of the requirements of VW’s service plans is annual / time and distance servicing, which is my preference anyway as even with modern long life oils I don’t like leaving my car two years before it gets an oil change. However, if you’re leasing or PCP-ing and will be handing the car back at the end of the lease / PCP, long life / flexible might save you money.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks @SRGTD. I too have a service plan and would feel more comfortable with an annual service, given our relatively low mileage.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
As you’ve got a service plan, I’d book it in for its first service at the sooner of 10,000 miles or 12 months, and will it’s being serviced, ask the dealer to amend the service regime to annual / time and distance.

Pinocchio

Passed Driver's Ed
Taken from VW website.

Most Volkswagens require a fixed service. For the first three years of ownership, your car will require an annual service inspection and oil service.

• 1st service (oil service) – at 9,300 miles or when your car is 12 months old.

• 2nd service – at 18,600 miles or when your car is 24 months old.

• 3rd service – at 27,900 miles or when your car is 36 months old.
For Volkswagens older than three years, we recommend either a Minor or Major Service.

• Minor Service – recommended every 12 months or 10,000 miles

• Major Service – recommended every 2 years or 20,000 miles

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Why can an older car go for 10,000 miles between services but newer ones 9,300 miles? Don’t see the logic In that.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Why can an older car go for 10,000 miles between services but newer ones 9,300 miles? Don’t see the logic In that.
I don’t know what the logic is. However, the significance of the 9,300 miles figure is that it pretty much equates to 15,000 kilometres and in Europe the time and distance service interval is the sooner of 12 months or 15,000 km’s.

UK cars also use this 15,000 km figure when calculating distance travelled / distance remaining until service is due, but because we measure distance in miles, the car’s computer will convert this to miles for the purposes of displaying a service reminder message (e.g. service due in xxx miles). However, if the 12 month time limit is likely to be reached before a distance of 15,000 km’s has been travelled (as in the case of a low mileage driver), the service reminder message will display the number of days to the next service (e.g. service due in xx days).

The ‘service due’ reminder message starts to appear around a month before the service due date (presumably to allow time for the owner to book the car in a the dealer’s) and counts down on a daily basis.

R8VVY

My gte mk8 only has 6250 miles and I am now getting a 30 day reminder for an oil service! Car isnt even 6 months old! Any ideas why its already indicating an oil service?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My gte mk8 only has 6250 miles and I am now getting a 30 day reminder for an oil service! Car isnt even 6 months old! Any ideas why its already indicating an oil service?
I see VW’s website states that the service intervals for the GTE are 9,000 or 12 months, whichever happens first. The trigger warning for the ’service due’ reminder message starts counting down as soon as the car is built, but should be reset by the dealer as part of the pre delivery inspection. If your dealer forgot to reset it, then that might explain why it’s prompting you to get your car serviced in 30 days time (i.e. if the car was built a few months before you took delivery and the time elapsed since the ‘service due’ countdown started will be 12 months in around 30 days time).

Alternatively, it is possible that your car’s computer has (correctly) calculated that you’ll hit 9,000 miles in around a month’s time, You’ve said your car isn’t 6 months old yet but you’ve not said how old it actually is, so if you’re a relatively high mileage driver, it’s feasible the car might be due for service in around 30 days time - e.g. if your car is, say, between 2.25 and 2.5 months old and has covered 6,250 miles, then it would hit 9,000 miles in around a month’s time.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/own...ce-plans/service-schedules/gte-servicing.html