GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK8 Start-Stop Function Stays Off?

zgnz

On the MK7 to turn off the engine auto start-stop function, was as easy as clicking the button next to the gear stick.. however unfortunately it wouldn't stay off, and reset each time you restarted the car.

Now I understand in the mk8, you now need to access this option through multiple levels in the touch screen. Does it REMEMBER this selection the next time you turn the car on?

The Start-Stop feature turns the vehicle's engine off when you come to a stop and then restarts it when your foot is taken off of the brake. This supposedly saves fuel, I however found it incredibly annoying.

JennyJ

I've just traded my Golf Mk 7 in on a Golf MK8 and as you say, the 7 had a button on the console from where the Start/Stop function could be easily controlled. Do you know how to find this option using the multiple levels on the touch screen? I've just spent an hour going through every option I can find but with no success. I've only had the 8 for a week but I'm already loving it .... except for the Start/Stop!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I think stop start is more about CO2 emissions reduction rather than fuel saving - lower CO2 means lower penal fines for VW when they miss the 2021 emissions target, whereas they won’t benefit from fuel savings. I’d say it’s almost a definite that the mk8 Golf won’t remember stop start was previously switched off - it’ll be necessary to turn it off with every ignition cycle.

I’m not entirely surprised if VW have decided to bury the means to switch off stop start in a sub menu somewhere - if it’s difficult or a pain for the owners to access the means switch it off, it’ll act as an incentive for some owners to leave it active.

I’m not a fan of stop start either.

JennyJ

I think stop start is more about CO2 emissions reduction rather than fuel saving - lower CO2 means lower penal fines for VW when they miss the 2021 emissions target, whereas they won’t benefit from fuel savings. I’d say it’s almost a definite that the mk8 Golf won’t remember stop start was previously switched off - it’ll be necessary to turn it off with every ignition cycle.

I’m not entirely surprised if VW have decided to bury the means to switch off stop start in a sub menu somewhere - if it’s difficult or a pain for the owners to access the means switch it off, it’ll act as an incentive for some owners to leave it active.

I’m not a fan of stop start either.
I’m sure you’re right about the reason for the function being buried. Before I had my Mk 7 I had a 2010 Golf wagon diesel which was one of those affected by the emissions issue and this cost VW money!

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi If you pull down the "curtain" Menu , the Start/Stop Shortcut should be there.
IMG_8684.jpgtempImageEbC5yR.png
If it isn't then just press on one of the shortcuts until you see shortcut icons on the bottom and press and slide the Start/Stop icon to one of the 4 shortcut icons.
tempImageTyHcWb.png

JennyJ

Thanks for that info ... I’ll see if I can find it.
Hi If you pull down the "curtain" Menu , the Start/Stop Shortcut should be there.
View attachment 214974View attachment 214975
If it isn't then just press on one of the shortcuts until you see shortcut icons on the bottom and press and slide the Start/Stop icon to one of the 4 shortcut icons.
View attachment 214976
Thanks so much ... problem solved 👏🏻. I didn’t know about the ‘curtain’ function!

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't know those other shortcuts were there! This car is a never ending voyage of discovery.
This week i also found out after 2 months of sodding about going backwards and forwards into parking spaces at work that turning off auto hold lets you stop where you want rather than where the car decides! :mad: (never had it on a car before).

JennyJ

I didn't know those other shortcuts were there! This car is a never ending voyage of discovery.
This week i also found out after 2 months of sodding about going backwards and forwards into parking spaces at work that turning off auto hold lets you stop where you want rather than where the car decides! :mad: (never had it on a car before).
I haven’t found auto hold yet! It was a button on the condole on my MK 7 but not on the 8. Now on the console I have the same park brake finger lever behind the gearshift lever & a ‘P’ push button in front which I have no idea about except that according to ‘the messaging lady’ it needs to be on when I exit the car! It’s all too hard for this Grandma😜.