GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mobile Phone Connection Issue

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Up until now I have assumed that this was a common issue which would eventually be fixed with a software update. But on searching forums I now wonder whether I am the only one with this problem.

I can pair my phone successfully with the Infotainment system, but probably more than 50% of the time when I first use the car, the phone does not automatically connect. I don't have to re-pair, but I do need to click on connect and then select my phone from already paired phones (mine is the only one paired). Sometimes it does automatically re-connect, but more often it doesn't. I think that this a safety issue because if I don't check whether the phone is connected before driving off and then receive a call, I have to try to connect the phone while driving in order to answer.

Whenever I've had the use of a courtesy Golf 8 (many times!) I don't get this problem. Having said that, the courtesy car is a Golf 8 Life whereas mine is a Style. I should mention that I have the Pro version of Discovery Media.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I first got the dealer to look at this back in November. They determined that the issue was not with my phone (and in fact I've changed phones since then - still a problem). This was referred to VW technical but since then nothing has come back.

I made a complaint to VW customer services about this (and other issues still outstanding) and they've assigned a customer care agent to investigate. So far not impressed. He's gone on holiday a few days after being assigned and was not able to talk to the dealer's technician until just before he went off so I don't know what progress. But his initial discussion with me was to question whether the issue was with my phone. This is 4 months after the dealer established that it wasn't the phone. Anyway, he's back next week so I'll see where he has got to since talking to the dealer technician.

I am on software version1666 and I believe there is a 1668 version available. This is another thing I complained about because the dealer wouldn't consider investigating whether there was a relevant software update without VW instructing them to do so.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi I have the same problem as you with wireless CarPlay where around 30-40% of the time I need to tap on the connection icon, the rest of the time it does everything automatically. I also have problems with my wifi where I can't add a 5G wifi connection , it doesn't show up on the list in the Wifi, only 2.4 signals are visible. In fact I know that wireless CarPlay use the 5G wifi for best functionality. When I listen to music wirelessly with CarPlay , the sound comes and goes for a few seconds randomly.
I sent them photos with tests I did with 2 different routers straight to VW Ireland, because they told me the car comes with both Wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz. Got a call from my local VW that are looking into it...
I had my car in the garage a couple days ago to sort out the reverse camera flickering which is still there, the keyless which has been sorted and connectivity problems , still there. They actually downgraded the infotainment sw from 1666 to 1664.
When I found out I asked that there was a newer version 1668. Was told that my car was not part of the 1668 recall???
Well lets see what happens....

Antsyy

I have same problem. It will connect if you just open door and close it, or you start engines with door open and when you close it, then phone is connected. At least my golf works like that. Its super annoying...

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I'm glad that it's not only me that has the problem. Hopefully that means that VW will eventually fix it. I'll need to check out whether opening the door etc has the same effect for me.

What really annoys me is that I reported the problem 4 months ago and yet the only feedback from the dealer is that they are waiting for VW technical to come back to them. So after 4 months there is no indication that VW know the cause and are working on a solution, or whether they are baffled or whether it's just gone into black hole.

I've raised a complaint and I'll see how that plays out. Perhaps others with the problem could do the same. That might apply a bit of pressure for some action.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Has anyone tried to check if the infotainment connects to wifi 5Ghz?
Trying to understand if i only have this problem.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
The customer service agent called me today to update me on the issue. It was a bit disappointing. I was led to believe that the issue was with VW technical and they would come back to me when there was a resolution. Actually it seems that no-one is working on this.

Basically they are saying that they are not sure whether the problem is with my car or whether it was a problem experienced with other cars. I said that several people I have seen on the forums have had the problem. His response was that they can't take account of anything on public forums.

The action plan for me is that the dealer will arrange for a temporary replacement car with the same or very similar spec as mine. There isn't one available at the moment so I need to wait for whenever one might become available. When they do have one I will use the replacement car for several days and see whether the problem also occurs on that car. If it does, they will raise the problem with VW to investigate. If it doesn't then the assumption is that problem is with the car's hardware and they will order in a new replacement server.

As I said, disappointing because this is 4 months after I raised the issue and it just went into a black hole.

In reply to Massimo 2323 - I'm afraid I don't use 5GHZ wifi.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I have same problem. It will connect if you just open door and close it, or you start engines with door open and when you close it, then phone is connected. At least my golf works like that. Its super annoying...
I tried this today when my phone failed to connect. I opened the door and hey presto it connected! Pity there is no way to inform VW about this.

Antsyy

I tried this today when my phone failed to connect. I opened the door and hey presto it connected! Pity there is no way to inform VW about this.
Okay, i'm glad that im not only one who has this problem, my car was in service and they didnt believe me that i have this problem😅🤣 they couldn't find anything wrong..... but yeah there is coming infortainment update and i hope this will be solved with it.... i don't know when it will come but it is coming.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm having the same problem and I've had the 1668 software installed and it still does it yet it does seem to connect to apple car play 90% of the time. has anyone had problems with the wireless charge pad ? mine will change but then cuts out asking me to remove all items from the phone pad, not the end of the world but still annoying.

Attachments

• IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 232

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes - I also get that message about the phone not charging but I associate it with my phone being fully charged. I just ignore it.

hematthe

I’ve had my Golf Mk8 Style since September 2020. In the last 4-5 months I’ve been experiencing the same issues. My phone doesn’t always connect and I have to manually select it. Other issues include AppConnect using Apple CarPlay cuts out and I’m left with a black screen. If you make/answer a call it also stops any radio station your tuned to from playing. Just had the car in for safety recall for software update and issues still persisting. Also have infuriating warning alarm that travel assist not available - have seen other threads for this too. Having had 4 previous versions of Golf this is by far the worst for issues.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I have installed beta iOS 15 on my iPhone and been using the wireless CarPlay for a few weeks. Before with 14.x I had problems with the music skipping, now it dos not happen. Thats one problem gone.. still having problems with the connection and also sometimes the CarPlay screen going black but I am told a new software update, which is suppose to fix my rear view camera video flickering, should address the connectivity issues. It should be coming out soon or so I was told...

Tony oddjob

I have a late 2020 golf8 style and my phone doesn't always connect, unless I open the door and then it connects immediately. Not bothered to complain as judging by comments above, it would be futile.
On the whole I think the car is absolutely fabulous.

Last edited:

hematthe

I've just been in touch with the service department and apparently there is another software update safety recall so worth checking in with your dealer to see if this applies to you too. The issues I'm experiencing are really frustrating as the travel assist warning sign comes on repeatedly when driving with no way of disabling alongside the app connect issues and phone connectivity issues.
I agree though it is a great car, this being my 5th Golf.