GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modifying Golf for GTI coilovers

Brett.M

So as many already know the Mk7 golf has a 50mm front knuckle vs the 55mm in the GTI. What little information there is online about the knuckle swap as well as consulting VW part numbers It seems to me that you need the steering knuckles, the wheel/hub bearing assembly, the lower ball joint, and some of the bolts/nuts from the GTI to make the conversion. The brake calipers and rotors should still bolt on.

Rear strut on the golf is 55mm same as the GTI. Schematics look identical on the VW parts website. Part numbers are different for the strut and springs but my guess would be because they have different characteristics/weights they're designed for. I did notice that some stock photos for kits for some coilovers seem to have a different setup for the golf vs gti coilovers in the rear. Sometimes they show the damper and spring to be separate on the GTI for the rear where as on the golf they are the spring over the damper design.

Anyone know I do the front conversion will I run into issues with the rear coilovers?

Secondly, looking to do it this way in hopes of a performance benefit either through lighter/stiffer knuckles, or increased strut size in the front having an increased damper size. Any truth to that or am I just wasting my time?

Right now looking at the ST XTA coilovers. New to this and completely open to suggestions.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The rears will bolt on no problem.

I do have a pair of front GTI knuckles for sale if you still need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Sounds like a lot of money and effort to run a coilover that's readily available in 50mm. Also FYI all golfs have outboard rear shocks and separate springs.

anjoVW

Ready to race!
So as many already know the Mk7 golf has a 50mm front knuckle vs the 55mm in the GTI. What little information there is online about the knuckle swap as well as consulting VW part numbers It seems to me that you need the steering knuckles, the wheel/hub bearing assembly, the lower ball joint, and some of the bolts/nuts from the GTI to make the conversion. The brake calipers and rotors should still bolt on.

Rear strut on the golf is 55mm same as the GTI. Schematics look identical on the VW parts website. Part numbers are different for the strut and springs but my guess would be because they have different characteristics/weights they're designed for. I did notice that some stock photos for kits for some coilovers seem to have a different setup for the golf vs gti coilovers in the rear. Sometimes they show the damper and spring to be separate on the GTI for the rear where as on the golf they are the spring over the damper design.

Anyone know I do the front conversion will I run into issues with the rear coilovers?

Secondly, looking to do it this way in hopes of a performance benefit either through lighter/stiffer knuckles, or increased strut size in the front having an increased damper size. Any truth to that or am I just wasting my time?

Right now looking at the ST XTA coilovers. New to this and completely open to suggestions.

Any particular reason you want the GTI ones? They sell them for 1.8t as well, here's a link to UroTuning's store for a set:

http://www.urotuning.com/ST-Performance-XTA-Coilovers-Mk7-Golf-1-8T-50mm-p/1828080g.htm

erichtn

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, did you ever complete this suspension swap? I'm considering doing the same and am trying to confirm whether any parts are required in addition to the steering knuckles, the wheel/hub bearings, and ball joints. Thanks.