GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mountain bike thread

shawn lichtfuss

Ready to race!
I was wondering if anyone else on here shared the passion? I grew up bmxing & currently have been mountain biking since the late 90's. I mostly ride xc, but over the past few years I picked up a all mountain bike & have been tackling some more technical trails.

I have alot of friends that do downhill, but I'm pretty happy with the am riding. I don't really want to start another hobby & pick up another bike. I'm currently on a Trek remedy that has alot of upgrades. The 6" suspension I feel is a great do it all set up as I can tackle some big drops or dirt jumps, but she can still climb when she has to, sure not as well as a xc set up, but I have fun. I have a weird build & I just feel real confident on a beefier bike.

I've been going back and forth with picking up a new bike, possibly a transition bottlerocket. Though, I admit if it isn't broke why fix it. Think I'll ride the Trek until I crack it & then I'll see how well the Trek warranty is.

I figured this would be a good place to post pics of your bike & what's been done to it. Also we can discuss/post pics of diffrent trails & places we ride, and discuss some of the gear we use. I'll start it out:
2007 Trek Remedy aka "project goldtooth"

mods:
Forks- Rock Shox Domain 318
Rear shock- Fox DHX Air
Crankset- Raceface Evolve DH w/ Raceface(gold)BB 36/22t
E-13 two ring chain guide
gold tooth bashguard
Azonic 402 gold pedals.
Sram X9 Front and Rear shifters
Sram X9 Rear derailuer
Bontrager Big Earl 50mm stem
Spank Royala 30 gold handlebars
Chris King gold headset
Hayes Stroker trail brakes w/ 8" rotors
Spank Subrosa gold rims w/ Earl hubs
Kenda 26 x 2.40 telonix tires
Spank saddle and Salsa seat clamp
Stolen lock on grips

I have some new parts going on this spring: twent6 pedals, levers, bar caps. Also a drop post:thumbsup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Dang I wish I had the money and motivation to get a compound suspension bike. I've ridden a couple and they are just amazing on the ass. But I also dont do really INTENSE trails, more so just typical riding trails with the occasional rough patches.

I ride a 2010 Trek 3700
Frameset
Size: 16
Frame: Alpha White Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, bi-oval down tube w/integrated gusset, rack and fender mounts, disc compatible dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
Front Suspension: SR Suntour SF8 XCT V2 w/coil spring, preload, 80mm
Wheels
Wheels: Formula Alloy FM31 hubs; Bontrager 550 rims w/brushed sidewalls
Tires: Bontrager LT-3, 26x2.0"

Drivetrain
Shifters: Shimano EF50, 7 speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano C051
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M310
Crank: Shimano M151
Cassette: Shimano TZ31, 7 speed
Pedals: Wellgo nylon platform

Components
Saddle: Bontrager SSR (Pure sex)
Seat Post: Bontrager SSR, 31.6mm, 20mm offset
Handlebars: Bontrager Approved Riser, 30mm rise
Stem: Bontrager Approved, 25 degree
Headset: VP-A68-TK, 1-1/8" semi-cartridge, sealed
Brakeset: Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 levers

Its all pretty standard. I've modified the derailleurs a bit. I cant stand clunky shifts. Plus the paddle shifters are awesome. I was thinking of upgrading to discs, but the pad brakes on there now will suffice until they wear out.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I ride a 2009 Gary Fisher X-caliber 29er.

It's pretty much stock from the factory. Only things I changed are the saddle to a Selle Italia Flite Gel, added clipless pedals, and stuff like a bike computer and lights (I do a lot of night riding).

Fox F80 RLC fork, Sram X7/X9 drivetrain, Avid Juicy 3 brakes. Looks like this, just a bit muddier.

I went for a great ride yesterday. It was about 85 and sunny out, so I took it for a good 15 mile singletrack adventure. First of the year! And I managed to do pretty well, only stopping once to walk the bike over a downed 5' diameter tree, lol.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
And I managed to do pretty well, only stopping once to walk the bike over a downed 5' diameter tree, lol.

PSHHHHHH Shouldve ramped that biatch!

shawn lichtfuss

Ready to race!
^^^Wow, two really nice hardtails:thumbsup:

I rode a bit myself in yesterdays nice weather. Though, the trails are super swampy from all the PA rain:(

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
PSHHHHHH Shouldve ramped that biatch!

Well it was a pretty difficult washed out uphill, and I wasn't really paying attention so it startled me. They keep up on the trail maintenance pretty good, and someone had already chainsawed a path through it, but I wasn't on the correct line to take it. Oh well, I know for next time!

We do have a bunch of logs you can ride in the park, that's a lot of fun.

shawn lichtfuss

Ready to race!
Well it was a pretty difficult washed out uphill, and I wasn't really paying attention so it startled me. They keep up on the trail maintenance pretty good, and someone had already chainsawed a path through it, but I wasn't on the correct line to take it. Oh well, I know for next time!

We do have a bunch of logs you can ride in the park, that's a lot of fun.

What where you riding core creek, wiss? I don't get down to philly much, but I sometimes ride high rocks & they have alot of new trails going in at lake nockamixon. There is also a new bike park at spring mountain called launch.

Last edited:

Tecni

Ready to race!
I have a Giant Yukon FX right now but I'm in the market for a GT Carbon Expert or a Specialized Epic.

We had been planning a roadtrip (Florida-Utah) to go MTB but our friend tore his ACL a week before we were supposed to head out and we had to cancel everything. Maybe later this year we'll get to ride somewhere with actual mountains.

shawn lichtfuss

Ready to race!
I have a Giant Yukon FX right now but I'm in the market for a GT Carbon Expert or a Specialized Epic.

We had been planning a roadtrip (Florida-Utah) to go MTB but our friend tore his ACL a week before we were supposed to head out and we had to cancel everything. Maybe later this year we'll get to ride somewhere with actual mountains.
I never rode a gt, but my old xc bike was a epic. They are great bikes. Climbs like a mountain goat.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Specialized bikes are well made. I wouldve gotten one had the store I shop at carried them. They're also marginally more expensive than Giants or Treks. All great bikes!

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
What where you riding core creek, wiss? I don't get down to philly much, but I sometimes ride high rocks & they have alot of new trails going in at lake nockamixon. There is also a new bike park at spring mountain called launch.

Wissahickon ususally. I have never ridden Core Creek, but I've heard a lot of great things about it. I'll have to check out Nockamixon as well!

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
2008 Blue Specialized Rockhopper

Avid Elixir R disc brakes
Blacked out Easton XC2 wheels
Probably buying a new front derailleur soon

I absolutely love riding, I just have to get my derailleur sorted out before I can go riding again once monsoon season ends here in DC. I'm off tomorrow and it's supposed to rain...again.

shawn lichtfuss

Ready to race!
^^^Can't go wrong with a spesh. I always had rear derailleur problems & I switched to a s-ram short cage & that has helped big time.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
2008 Blue Specialized Rockhopper

Avid Elixir R disc brakes
Blacked out Easton XC2 wheels
Probably buying a new front derailleur soon

I absolutely love riding, I just have to get my derailleur sorted out before I can go riding again once monsoon season ends here in DC. I'm off tomorrow and it's supposed to rain...again.

Nice bike!
Where in DC do you ride?

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I love Wakefield (a Fairfax County Park right near the bottom of the Mixing Bowl) and there's a place out here called Fountainhead that's pretty challenging. I tried that spot once last summer when my rim brakes were essentially shot - that was NOT a good idea. We have lots of power line ridges around here that are fun too.

It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, too. At this point I won't ride till July :(