GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Movie and TV Recommendations

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
ZeroZeroZero on amazon was good too. It's got a bit of english, but a lot of it was in italian and spanish.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Midsommar. Very trippy and terribly awesome.
This is the same guy who directed Hereditary- director is clearly a twisted individual, but his style has an artistic flare.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Midsommar. Very trippy and terribly awesome.
This is the same guy who directed Hereditary- director is clearly a twisted individual, but his style has an artistic flare.

Absolutely love Ari Aster. He's got a comedy/horror called Disappointment Blvd. coming out soon with Joaquin Phoenix in lead. Can't wait to see how that one will shape up!

Phur

Autocross Champion
We just finished watching Midnight Mass last night. I really did not like the priest, but overall I thought that the show was quite good and rather creative. I would recommend.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
We just finished watching Midnight Mass last night. I really did not like the priest, but overall I thought that the show was quite good and rather creative. I would recommend.
We just started this too and he is part of the reason we started it! He is very good at playing unlikeable characters, he was great in "tell me your secrets"

Phur

Autocross Champion
We just started this too and he is part of the reason we started it! He is very good at playing unlikeable characters, he was great in "tell me your secrets"
I definitely agree with his ability to be unlikable. 😂

Phur

Autocross Champion
Honestly, though, largely the reason that I have issue with him is his sermon delivery should be riveting. That couldn’t be further from the reality. Although, for me, any priest in a movie/show that is preaching is competing against Clancy Brown in Carnivale. That’s a fight that most actors should not even get near the ring for.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Honestly, though, largely the reason that I have issue with him is his sermon delivery should be riveting. That couldn’t be further from the reality. Although, for me, any priest in a movie/show that is preaching is competing against Clancy Brown in Carnivale. That’s a fight that most actors should not even get near the ring for.
Oh were only 3 episodes in I honestly thought he was faking being a priest he wore the wrong outfit on the first day lol.

torga

Autocross Champion

I think my only complaint is the monologuing could be a bit excessive at times. But overall, loved the series.

He was pretty unlikable in The Newsroom, too. I guess he's got a style.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Is a 4k dvd player worth it these days? Are movies even made in 4k or are they just made in 1080p, upscaled to 4k, and then marketed as 4k? Then with the amount of streaming we do these days we probably don't even need a dvd player. My parents just got a 4k TV and I'm trying to think of xmas ideas. These are more expensive than I assumed though, so I dunno if it's worth it.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Is a 4k dvd player worth it these days? Are movies even made in 4k or are they just made in 1080p, upscaled to 4k, and then marketed as 4k? Then with the amount of streaming we do these days we probably don't even need a dvd player. My parents just got a 4k TV and I'm trying to think of xmas ideas. These are more expensive than I assumed though, so I dunno if it's worth it.
I have a a higher end 4K blu ray player and when playing true 4K content, it's unbeatable. I stream 90% of my content from a 4K AppleTV and true 4K stuff looks great, but content on a blu ray will always surpass anything streaming. Many of the 4K TVs are smart TVs and have built in apps like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Apple TV, etc. If your parents aren't true audio or videophiles, I wouldn't bother thinking about a 4K blu ray player as a gift. The other thing you have to think about is a 4K blu ray player requires actual physical media that doesn't come cheap. The only true argument I can make for a 4K blu ray is that you can play all the DVDs you own already and it may even upscaled them to look better and when your broadband connection goes down, you can fall back on physical media.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I have a a higher end 4K blu ray player and when playing true 4K content, it's unbeatable. I stream 90% of my content from a 4K AppleTV and true 4K stuff looks great, but content on a blu ray will always surpass anything streaming. Many of the 4K TVs are smart TVs and have built in apps like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Apple TV, etc. If your parents aren't true audio or videophiles, I wouldn't bother thinking about a 4K blu ray player as a gift. The other thing you have to think about is a 4K blu ray player requires actual physical media that doesn't come cheap. The only true argument I can make for a 4K blu ray is that you can play all the DVDs you own already and it may even upscaled them to look better and when your broadband connection goes down, you can fall back on physical media.
Definitely not audio or videophiles. They bought something like a 75" TV and then a couple weeks later I spent $500 more than they did on a 55" lol, they got a more budget oriented tv.

Maybe I'll have to buy a 4k dvd and try it out with my ps5.

torga

Autocross Champion

+1 on all this. I do the same, everything either streams from my 4K AppleTV or I pop in a BluRay (Sony X800). I've got everything routed through a Denon receiver. Upscaled older DVDs don't even look too bad, either. Streaming can look amazing, especially when you've got equipment that can actually display all the visual standards properly. But with streaming, there will always be artifacts and signs of compression. You'll never seen any of this on a 4K BluRay.

There are definitely true 4K Blu-Rays, but many of them are just upscaled 1080p or 2K. And not even big budget Hollywood films spring for a true 4K release. One recent example -- Inglorious Basterds recently got a 4K BR release, but it isn't true 4K.

This is a list that actually keeps track of all true 4K BR releases.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
+1 on all this. I do the same, everything either streams from my 4K AppleTV or I pop in a BluRay (Sony X800). I've got everything routed through a Denon receiver. Upscaled older DVDs don't even look too bad, either. Streaming can look amazing, especially when you've got equipment that can actually display all the visual standards properly. But with streaming, there will always be artifacts and signs of compression. You'll never seen any of this on a 4K BluRay.

There are definitely true 4K Blu-Rays, but many of them are just upscaled 1080p or 2K. And not even big budget Hollywood films spring for a true 4K release. One recent example -- Inglorious Basterds recently got a 4K BR release, but it isn't true 4K.

This is a list that actually keeps track of all true 4K BR releases.
Got any you'd recommend that show the tech well? I was thinking of grabbing The Martian. It's been a while since I've seen that, plus it's only $14 on amazon right now. I keep gravitating toward space movies...Interstellar, Arrival, District 9, The Martian...Gravity...

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Most big budget action/sci-fi movies will look amazing if you can grab a 4K UHD copy. Or movies with lots of dark scenes, that really separates HDR from not. 1917 would be a great one to check out for the technical qualities. Ooh, and Blade Runner 2049. All the ones you mentioned would be eye candy as well. Newer Star Wars movies, too.