GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving from NY to NC any advice?

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
I was offered a job position in Raleigh NC, and its a bit less than what I currently make (about 14k less), but I do hear cost of living their is much cheaper than NY (Westchester where I currently live). For people that live around that area, are there safe places to live, like suburban areas, I'm not a big fan of living in the city, I like quiet safe areas where I don't have to worry about my car getting broken into or rims getting stolen. Any advice is appreciated, I never been to NC before, and NY is getting very expensive to afford.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
You're going to love moving south...Raleigh is awesome. It's close to the other cities around it too.....you'll have everything in close proximity. Big tech area too. I have a few buddies down on that area and they live in/near Cary, which is just outside Raleigh, so you might want to check there....great schools, neighborhoods, etc.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have been to Raleigh for a concert and it seemed like a cool city. I stayed in Nightdale which is not to far from center city. Took some of the back roads and saw some quiet areas that were away from the suburb sprawl.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I live in Cary and it has been a great place to live. Close to Raleigh so the commute isn't bad. And like you said, it is a quiet place, suburbia at it's best. The area as a whole is very nice. Close to the beach and the mountains- The Tail of the Dragon is not too far away. Also, it's close to the big cities like Charlotte for more urban action. If you like hockey, the Carolina Hurricanes are based in Raleigh, super fun to go to games. Many concerts are also held at the arena.
Since you are on this forum, you like VW's and Black Forest Industries are here in Cary.
While cost of living is not as cheap as it was when I moved here in '96 from upstate NY, it is still cheaper than NY. Property taxes and the like are much less than NY. The area has good job opportunities so that pay cut may not be a bad thing as you can maybe make that up in the future.
But to answer your question- Cary, Apex, Holly Springs are all places to check out. Places like Zebulon, Knightdale are also worth looking into.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Where is your job located. That will help determine where you want to live based on the amount of travel time you can handle. Also what is your budget for housing?

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome info thank you!!!I've heard of Cary before but not the rest mentioned (time to research lol) I work in IT and the job is in Raleigh, my current commute is like 35 mins or so. As of now i'm going to be looking to rent maybe around $800-900? I don't know if that will get a decent apt or what the average is. Just till I get to know the areas and what not.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Raleigh is geographically big. So I mean where in Raleigh is it specially. Downtown, NE, SW, near Morrisville, etc.

Beelz

Passed Driver's Ed
Raleigh is geographically big. So I mean where in Raleigh is it specially. Downtown, NE, SW, near Morrisville, etc.

ohh haha I didn't realize it was that big, I gotta dig in emails to find out exact location. But I do remember it said it was close to Durham

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Durham and Raleigh are getting quite large, in the south they don't build up they build out. Even in Raleigh you may be closer to to Durham than several other of the towns mentioned.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
Please, please, please watch how the locals drive and copy their style. Do not drive like you did in NY.
The biggest problem with drivers here in FL, is people driving like they did back home. Throw them all together and you get huge problems. Welcome to south of the Mason & Dixon.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Please, please, please watch how the locals drive and copy their style. Do not drive like you did in NY.
The biggest problem with drivers here in FL, is people driving like they did back home. Throw them all together and you get huge problems. Welcome to south of the Mason & Dixon.

so you want him to drive with his head up his ass, go in the passing lane and stay there holding up traffic, and then not use his turn signal at all?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
ohh haha I didn't realize it was that big, I gotta dig in emails to find out exact location. But I do remember it said it was close to Durham

I wish you luck with a 35 min commute and staying in an $800/mo budget.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
so you want him to drive with his head up his ass, go in the passing lane and stay there holding up traffic, and then not use his turn signal at all?

crxgator, you just described how every NY plated car drives in Florida. Except, you left out; comes to a dead stop to make a right hand turn.

crxgator

Autocross Champion

crxgator, you just described how every NY plated car drives in Florida. Except, you left out; comes to a dead stop to make a right hand turn.

i do not see NY drivers doing that at all in NC.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Just remember not to try and make your new home like your old one. There is a reason you moved.

Also remember we don't drive in snow down here so don't be surprised when the state shuts down for a flurry.