GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving from NY to NC any advice?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
View attachment 164577

This happened to me today, and it happens all the time. Some asshole stopped in the middle of the road, and then all of a sudden makes a right turn without using their blinkers. It's a 45mph zone, and there is even a right hand lane which they didn't use. There are many accidents at this juncture because of the people here.

Is this in NC or NY? Haha. Seeing that non-existent right turn lane, I can see why you need to turn at 45 MPH now.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Raleigh, NC.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
so you want him to drive with his head up his ass, go in the passing lane and stay there holding up traffic, and then not use his turn signal at all?

Don't forget about nearly stopping for every turn.

The safest way to drive in ENC is to just follow the crotch-rocket example and keep moving forward. You don't want to be in a pack down here.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Aren't you supposed to stop when you make a right on red?? Nobody in NY full stops to make a regular right turn. NY would come to a stop if everybody came to a complete stop to make a regular right turn. There are A LOT of right turns in NY.

Oh, no... They do that on the HIGHWAY here; and I don't mean on occasion. You'll encounter it several times every time you go out.

As well, there are many, MANY intoxicated and otherwise mind-altered drivers here.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Geebus! That's scary.

As well it should be. One must take control on the roads in ENC.

It's one of the drunkest places in the nation, and nobody gives a rat's ass about it; but you'll be pulled in a new car if you have a plate light out...

Corruption is high, as well. Nobody likes to talk about it, but it's known. What you'll encounter are a whole bunch of people who won't stand up to stop a problem, and who tear into anyone who does for upsetting the apple cart. I personally suggest avoiding the area entirely, because a lot of "good reviews" come from heavily guarded colleges that are deliberately guarded against local ingress. They buy up everything around them, demolish it, and then just sit on the land for years.

Yeah, if you stay on a campus you'll never see this stuff, but if you actually get out and smell the scenery... It's a depressed, poor state who's population is almost born with blinders on. Don't let development fool you, or all the articles about how bustling things are. The majority of those businesses cropping up all over the place are subsidized by universities. They turn no profit.

The area in general has at least once held the highest murder rate per capita in the US, and if drugs bother you, you're not going to enjoy it very much.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Looks like I'll be looking somewhere else to retire.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
DONT wear a Yankees hat or jacket! Say please and thank you. Say goodbye before you hang up on a phone conversation. Be respectful of elders.......generally just slow down, be polite, have conversations when people engage you in them, shop local stores and restaurants. If you are a religious person, join a church! My in-laws are many generations of Asheville people!

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Looks like I'll be looking somewhere else to retire.

If the money's great, it's worth it; but keep one foot out the door and a bag packed. People tend to become stuck here. Don't put yourself in a position to let that happen.

I mean, we have the scenery and the coastal lifestyle, but that's about it, and even that is fading rapidly with the Salt Life/Yeti ingress; and mother nature has been taking back the Outer Banks for a very long time anyway. 300 foot beaches are now gone, and there's no way to keep up. It's not some ecological disaster or anything, it's just the nature of the geography, ocean, and weather. Erosion will win eventually, and it takes a little more every year; further cramping an increasing number of tourists.

This has also eliminated most of the true culture of the barrier islands; of which the majority of Americans are entirely unaware.

ENC is entirely artificial beyond that; created to attract people temporarily and then not worry about much in the long-term. Don't think for a second you'll get any "country cooking", either. It's trash now. Even the old guard are peddling powdered potatoes and frozen cornbread sticks. Western NC can be different, but this is a big state; it's not like you're going to pop over to Asheville to go grocery shopping.

Go West, and find a nice suburb, as well; or you'll darn well regret it when you want to go shopping or find something to do on the weekend.

This is coming from someone with a fair bit of land to sell in ENC, too. Someone will buy it one way or another, but they shouldn't. Decent five year plan, but a horrid ten year plan.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
Aren't you supposed to stop when you make a right on red?? Nobody in NY full stops to make a regular right turn. NY would come to a stop if everybody came to a complete stop to make a regular right turn. There are A LOT of right turns in NY.
RIF. I did not mention Red Lights. I mean driving down the road and decide to turn into a parking lot. Come to dead stop, then inch their way off the road and into the parking lot.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
RIF. I did not mention Red Lights. I mean driving down the road and decide to turn into a parking lot. Come to dead stop, then inch their way off the road and into the parking lot.

My man speaks the truth. This is not something that will just annoy you on occasion; it happens constantly, and it does indeed cause collisions.

Adding insult to injury is:

1: The fact that they don't use their turn signals before they do that bullshit.

2: They don't know that going straight at a stop sign has the right of way over turning left. So, you just sit there while they get mad figuring it out, and then they peel out in anger and frustration... Before stopping and turning right somewhere, weaving all over the place because they're drunk again.

People think it's funny to be on their second or third DUI here. That's not an exaggeration.