GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Multiple Software Issues - startin the rejection process.

John 929

Hi, interesting to see that the rubbish software is not just my car. Some of the issues have been fixed with the latest software. Plus you can now turn off the so called Eco Tips from the menu.

My 2021 Mk8 is back in again next wednesday for the following..... This is a paste form my note to the dealer in Worthing.
  1. The software appears to think it’s a left hand drive car from time to time. When in ACC it brakes hard to stop you passing a car in the inside lane on a motorway two lane road as the ACC thinks you are undertaking. The radar ACC display shows the car on the inside (correct side) but still brakes. This has happened many times. Very Dangerous if there is a car following.

2. When my partner was driving on the M25 with ACC set to 70mph the car for no reason displayed “40mph detected” and applied the brakes. She was in lane 3 of the M25 in a fast moving stream of traffic so it was very dangerous.

3. Just to reinforce the fact that it’s getting left and right hand drive confused. Last week it displayed a no overtaking sign on the screen that depicted the car on the LEFT as the red car and the car on the RIGHT as black. This is the continental LHD signage.

4. Also the radio still intermittently wont come on with an error message of ‘Feature no Available”
The safety features actually make this car more dangerous.

I'll update this post to let you know the outcome.

John 929

Just to follow this up:

No resolution to the issues, but I have been told that a software fix is imminent.

I complained to the dealer, VW UK, and because mine is a lease car, also to VWFS. As a result, VWFS have given me a lump sum rebate on my lease costs to compensate. The alternative was to reject the car, but given current supply issues, I didn’t want to go down that route with what is otherwise an excellent car.

Will now have to wait and see when the software fix is released for the Golf.

Pete
Hi Peter,

I've been dealing with my local VW dealer so far, however I think it's time to up the game and complain to VW UK. I've had a google about and am having difficulty finding a complaints process or email. What site or address did you use when you complained to VW UK?

Cheers, John.

John 929

Thanks for these posts,

At least I'm not alone! :sneaky: wishful thinking but would be great if it's discovered the battery is faulty.

With regard to the ACC etc, thankfully I haven't experienced any real errors so far, it does though on motorway driving, pick up on the exit road speed limit sign and applies the brakes.

One question - where the car in error goes to "driving on the right" does that mean the lights dip in the wrong direction?

The attached photo should have attached to previous message

Thanks.
Hi, you are certainly not alone. This is a common problem accross many models. I'm not sure about the lights but picking up other signs (or exit speed signs) and incorrectly applying them and braking is very common. It get's the displayed speed limit wrong about 10% of the time. Last week it showed 110MPH on the motorway.

I've contacted VW UK customer service with a view to starting the formal complaints process. I wonder if there have been any accidents from a Mk8 golf braking suddenly?

Regards, John

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Peter,

I've been dealing with my local VW dealer so far, however I think it's time to up the game and complain to VW UK. I've had a google about and am having difficulty finding a complaints process or email. What site or address did you use when you complained to VW UK?

Cheers, John.
Hi,

I emailed customerservices@volkswagen.co.uk describing all the issues.
I included the details of the interaction with the dealer.
They give you a reference number to track this with.

Pete

tos

Go Kart Newbie
Auto Lights - they come on in overcast conditions, when Sun comes out they stay on and cannot switch them off manually, often stay on until car is stopped and restarted to clear as is with all the above (car has to be stopped for maybe ten minutes for system to reset.
This is normal feature, also you cannot switch lights off is new feature.
Lightsensor "should be intelligent" when sun shines too low, it turns headlights on.
It is for safety, that someone else see you better when lights are on.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
3. Just to reinforce the fact that it’s getting left and right hand drive confused. Last week it displayed a no overtaking sign on the screen that depicted the car on the LEFT as the red car and the car on the RIGHT as black. This is the continental LHD signage.
Not disputing that your car thinks it’s left hand drive (as per your points 1 and 2) - others have certainly reported the same problem.

But point (3) may not actually be connected with that issue. Our Mk8 does not suffer from the left hand drive confusion, but I’ve noticed that the traffic sign recognition symbols shown on the driver instrument panel and the HUD are the continental style. For example, on the car the school warning sign shows the children emerging from the right, whereas the UK sign has them coming from the left. So it seems the camera correctly identifies the UK sign, but the software displays the equivalent continental symbol.

John 929

Not disputing that your car thinks it’s left hand drive (as per your points 1 and 2) - others have certainly reported the same problem.

But point (3) may not actually be connected with that issue. Our Mk8 does not suffer from the left hand drive confusion, but I’ve noticed that the traffic sign recognition symbols shown on the driver instrument panel and the HUD are the continental style. For example, on the car the school warning sign shows the children emerging from the right, whereas the UK sign has them coming from the left. So it seems the camera correctly identifies the UK sign, but the software displays the equivalent continental symbol.
Good point, I'm sure you're right. Just another example of poor coding and incorrect database tech. I've now started a formal complaint with VW UK with a view to rejecting the car. Such a shame as in other ways it's an excellent car.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Good point, I'm sure you're right. Just another example of poor coding and incorrect database tech. I've now started a formal complaint with VW UK with a view to rejecting the car. Such a shame as in other ways it's an excellent car.
If you reject your car, don’t overlook the potential problems you may have finding a replacement vehicle - assuming you’d be planning to replace your Golf with another new car - whether another Golf or a car from a different manufacture;
  • Currently, there are fewer new cars being built by pretty much all vehicle manufacturers, due to worldwide semiconductor supply issues and Covid (some manufacturers have temporarily closed production lines and / or have reduced the number of working shifts). This’ll mean very low stock levels of new cars at car dealerships, and dealers are unlikely to be willing to discount the list price.
  • There are very long lead times for ‘built to order’ cars (e.g. 12-14 months is being quoted for performance models of the Golf).
  • If considering a nearly new car as an alternative to a new one, selling prices are currently very high because of the shortage of new vehicles.
If you do plan on replacing your Golf with another VAG branded car, be aware that if it’s a model that’s built on the MQB platform, it’s likely to be affected by the same / similar software issues as the Golf.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
As far as I know, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have the right to reject a vehicle for a full refund within 30 days of taking delivery, provided it is not fit for purpose, not of satisfactory quality or not as described.

After 30 days and up to six months, you can reject the vehicle if an attempt to repair has failed, is impossible or will take unreasonably long. If a motor vehicle is being rejected in this period, the retailer may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.

The ‘reasonable reduction’ point means that cars “rejected“ in the 30 day to 6 month period are really being sold back to the dealer. And given the shortage of new and nearly new stock, which has seen nearly new cars sell for more than they cost new, they’re probably glad to have them.

Last edited:

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
If you reject your car, don’t overlook the potential problems you may have finding a replacement vehicle - assuming you’d be planning to replace your Golf with another new car - whether another Golf or a car from a different manufacture;
  • Currently, there are fewer new cars being built by pretty much all vehicle manufacturers, due to worldwide semiconductor supply issues and Covid (some manufacturers have temporarily closed production lines and / or have reduced the number of working shifts). This’ll mean very low stock levels of new cars at car dealerships, and dealers are unlikely to be willing to discount the list price.
  • There are very long lead times for ‘built to order’ cars (e.g. 12-14 months is being quoted for performance models of the Golf).
  • If considering a nearly new car as an alternative to a new one, selling prices are currently very high because of the shortage of new vehicles.
If you do plan on replacing your Golf with another VAG branded car, be aware that if it’s a model that’s built on the MQB platform, it’s likely to be affected by the same / similar software issues as the Golf.
This is precisely why I didn’t reject my Golf. I can live with the issues given all this (and the discount on my lease costs :)).

Pete

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
1.5 6sp Style took delivery July 2021, Park Assist only specced extra.

The interior lites operate and dim by tapping on the actual lite and I have a volume control on the steering wheel. The touch controls were a bit of a hassle but I tend not to alter the settings much, it is what is..

I would randomly get some of these error displays:

Error: Park Distance Control
Rear Traffic Alert is currently unavailable
Manoeuvre braking currently unavailable
Hill Start Assist is unavailable
Error: Auto Hold
Error: start/stop system
Travel Assist is currently unavailable
Front Assist is currently unavailable. Sensor Impaired
Radio/Media Sorry, this functioni s curently unavailable. Please wait - though started ok very quickly after.

These errors became much less, say one or two of them every 2 weeks or so, by keeping the front badge and windscreen camera area clean at all times, and caused no lack of function anyway as they soon 'cleared' by themslves. Not good of course in a new car but I'd compare time / work / hassle v what you hope to achieve, and only the poster can answer that. I say this following my own recent victory in a legal dispute, which I can't disusss ;)(!), and although I won I'm literally mentally & physcially exhausted and wouldn't wish to go through the process again. Either way, do your homework, keep records (with many copies) get legal advice, & good luck (y)....

JAR42

Hi, Just thought I'd share my issues and see is any other owners are going down the same path to rejecting their car as I am.

I've owned the Mk8 1.5 eTSI auto for 3 months. too many software bugs to list but the main ones are....

- Traffic hazard warning restricted ping comes up after 5 mins on every drive. VW say they know about it but have no fix.
- Mobile phone won't auto connect on bluetooth. have to manually do it.
- Radio won't start. Error message says feature unavailable please wait. This is after driving for 10 mins.
- Random road signs displayed on the dash.
- incorrect speed for the road displayed on the dash
- Infotainment system re-boots randomly
- Car pings up emergency brake when there is nothing in front.
......I could go on.

Don't get me wrong. It's a great car that drives really well but it's ruined by rubbish software.

Is any one else having these issues as my dealer says not. Also has anyone else rejected a new car. Is it an easy process?
Yes! I had the same issues with my 2022 Mk8 GTI Autobahn 6 sp manual, had it as a lease here in Jacksonville FL for about nine months, went to the three different local VW dealers in town who told me they were aware of the many issues, that other owners had the same problem but that there was no fix! I grew tired and traded it about a month ago. Just noticed some poor soul bought as a CPO, I pray they don’t have the same headache and disappointment I had with it