GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My car pictures suck - help me

motorhoney

Ready to race!
This one would've been better without the pole sticking out of the back of the car. Should reposition yourself so that doesn't happen.

Great sky. You could've probably moved the car forward closer into the frame of the picture.

Anyways, just saw the gear you have. You've got more than enough gear. Time to stop buying gear, and start shooting more. Let me know if you want to get rid of your 5D2 :biggrin:

5D II is here to stay - unless I pickup a 1Ds III cheap - but even then...

Thanks for the tips - makes sense. I know having stuff "growing" out of the subject is typically frowned up on :)

A friend had told me that it's best to only have 2 wheels visible.... care to elaborate on this?

soze

Go Kart Champion

dustinwark

Miesian
I have not. However, the people that I know that are in school for photography produce photos, typically, that are worse than mine.

I tend to lean towards the old film "frame of mind" where each shot "costs" so it's best to think each one through before taking it - I wish my photos could better support this theory, but the first 8 or so were taken when I had NO experience whatsoever.

I'll try doin' more and see what happens - couldn't hurt :)

That's dumb, REAL photographers don't go out and take two shots and those turn into the works of art you see floating around. They take tons of thought out pictures and a small amount of them turn out, then they process them for a final product. That's the beauty of digital photography, you can delete pictures.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
That's dumb, REAL photographers don't go out and take two shots and those turn into the works of art you see floating around. They take tons of thought out pictures and a small amount of them turn out, then they process them for a final product. That's the beauty of digital photography, you can delete pictures.

I know, but as I said, these were 'ha, that looks neat' - click click click - drive home. I've done some portrait and other "sessions" (I hate saying that) and taken HUNDREDS of pics - of course! I just haven't done that yet for cars.

soze

Go Kart Champion
5D II is here to stay - unless I pickup a 1Ds III cheap - but even then...

Thanks for the tips - makes sense. I know having stuff "growing" out of the subject is typically frowned up on :)

A friend had told me that it's best to only have 2 wheels visible.... care to elaborate on this?

I don't think that's necessarily true.

ex:

Aside from the cars being dead center in the picture...

These turned out better for you because you lowered your point of view. Gotta crouch down low to get good shots of cars sometimes.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
I don't think that's necessarily true.

ex:

Aside from the cars being dead center in the picture...

These turned out better for you because you lowered your point of view. Gotta crouch down low to get good shots of cars sometimes.

Right, I centered them because the picture was of the car, not the car + the surroundings because the surroundings sucked. Hope to find some nice locations soon.

gs3xr_fun

TeamGo808.com
not necessarily - I didn't actually plan a "session" out of any of these photos - just driving a long, stopped, took a few and checked them out on the computer. maybe 10 minutes each time. I've never found a cool enough location to make me want to actually spend some quality time trying - hope to in a few months though.

maybe that is what you have to change in the first place and start thinking about working on a theme/subject

i like this one though

Grmncrsnbr

SaurKimchi
You should start a 365 project, take a picture everyday. They wont always be perfect or amazing as I have found but it really helps develop your abilities and your artistic eye. Not only that but you make yourself accountable to get out and shoot something everyday.

I had never used my flash much before I started at the beginning of this year. I have used it for probably close to half my pics now, in all different ways not just mounted to the camera.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
Oh, I take all sorts of random pics.

Here's one where I utilzed the manual zoom head of the flash, shot wide and pivoted the flash head:

"most important meal of the day"
:)

TrillyPop

eat mod study sleep
If you every wanna practice on someone else's car, I'm available for some photo time :)

Your pics look good, practice makes perfect!

FightinScot

Save the wee tootles
Here are a couple pics from a local Porsche meet a few years back. Of course I did not have the luxury of picking my background or anything else, but angles and positions I used to take the pictures varied. Only the Carerra pic was altered and that was just with Paint. No tripod, a 4MP point and shoot I had laying around. Nothing spectacular. I am sure they could have been better, but given what I was working with and what I was and wasn't trying to do, I am happy with them. These would be what I would call "luck" shots. They just happened to be the best 2 of the 100 or so pictures I randomly snapped.

Attachments

• porsche.jpg
    porsche.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 359
  • carrera.jpg
    carrera.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 372