GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need advice - car accident total loss no injuries

Salami

Autocross Champion
Hi all

I am looking for advice/experience with dealing a total loss car accident with no injuries. I live in an at fault state.

Our vehicle was severely damaged while parked in a parking lot. The person that backed into our vehicle, admitted fault, a police report filed and I have a claim with their insurance company set up.
The claims person that was assigned has been very difficult to work with to the point that they have refused to put me in touch with their superior. Today my wife was contacted by the claims person to let us know that they will not be repairing the vehicle (will be a total loss), I made it very clear to that I would be the source of contact (my wife works a full time job and is also a full time student).

My gut is telling me this is about to be a lot more aggravating with the insurance company playing more games and looking for me to roll over for a low payout. Until this point I have not opened a claim with my insurance.

Has anyone had experience in a similar situation that can lend advice?

Last edited:

messrock

Autocross Champion
Hi all

I am looking for advice/experience with dealing a total loss car accident with no injuries. I live in an at fault state.

Our vehicle was severely damaged while parked in a parking lot. The person that backed into our vehicle, admitted fault, a police report filed and I have a claim with their insurance company set up.
The claims person that was assigned has been very difficult to work with to the point that they have refused to put me in touch with their superior. Today my wife was contacted by the claims person to let us know that they will not be repairing the vehicle (will be a total loss), I made it very clear to that I would be the source of contact (my wife works a full time job and is also a full time student).

My gut is telling me this a about to be a lot more aggravating with the insurance company playing more games and looking for me to roll over for a low payout. Until this point I have not opened a claim with my insurance.

Has anyone had experience in a similar situation that can lend advice?
I’ve had something similar happen twice. The first time I went through their insurance and it was a nightmare. The second time I went through my own insurance and let them deal with the bodies. I had to pay my deductible upfront and then they reimbursed me.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
I would get comps for the car (pick a few higher ones) and tell their insurance company you want this much plus 30 days car rental after you get paid. or Comps plus 2K for aggravation.

cb1111

I've been in the insurance claims industry 22 years, don't accept any checks, don't sign anything. Adjusters will try to badger you into thinking that's the best you're going to get. What insurance company is it and what is your insurance company?
Good advice and even better questions

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Honestly I would not play their stalling game and make you wait. Talk to an attorney and silently file a complaint to the BBB. The insurance company will see the complaint and know you mean business, probably after the attorney contacts them and asks what the holdup is. Works for me every time. Insurance companies are scared of their public image being tarnished.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Yea, their goal is to get out of it for as little as possible. They are presumably already covering the damages to their customers vehicle (unless they aren't filing a claim to get it fixed) so paying you an outsized amount even worse for them. If you can afford to wait and put up the fight then you should but retaining a lawyer will probably be quicker.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
My insurance company was dicking me around for a while. I contacted my states department of insurance and filed a complaint. Shortly after I had a resolution. Do you plan on buying it back? Tell them how much you want for the car based upon retail value and the additional value based on your mods. Make them know you’re being inconvenienced by their client and their delay which is not satisfying a quick resolution.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I've been in the insurance claims industry 22 years, don't accept any checks, don't sign anything. Adjusters will try to badger you into thinking that's the best you're going to get. What insurance company is it and what is your insurance company?

Hey, same. Well claims and body shops back and forth. lol
So any advice on how to find a lawyer that deals with accident claims that don't involve injuries?

Hard to find, and not a great idea generally since they take a percentage of your settlement. In an injury case the settlement included pain and suffering over and on top of your actual bills/costs and that pays the lawyer with left over for you. In a property damage only case, the only award is ACV so it's just coming out of your pocket.

As has been mentioned, if the other person's insurance is being a pain or is some low cost discount carrier you are probably better served using your own policy and having your insurance company deal with the jokers. That's why you pay for good insurance, because you don't want to have to take time out of your day and stress dealing with their insurance adjuster. Also, dealing with the other insurance company they have no contract with you so they just have to abide by the rules of the state. Your own company has pages of contract to uphold and if they don't there is some decent gray area and can be hit with "Not acting in good faith" to support that contract.

file a complaint to the BBB.

Actually he would want to file a complaint with the state DOI (Department of Insurance), BBB is worthless. There are many rules and regulations companies must abide by and if they violate any of them it's a big fine. And the best part is once the DOI finds a justified complaint they TEND to say "Hey, why don't we just do a general audit next week? Look at a large sample of your files...." lol

https://www.ncdoi.gov/consumers/aut...urance#Howlongcanacompanytaketopaymyclaim-935

https://www.ncdoi.gov/consumers/auto-and-vehicle-insurance

But overall have not really stated what they have done other than not let you speak to a supervisor. If you have some details can give you some advice and yeah, as jay said....MOST important is what insurance company is it? One of the big players or a small regional one?