GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some more buying advice

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Keep searching.

I bought mine from CarMax, which I ordinarily would never do, but they alone had the exact version I wanted, in the exact color, with the exact options at another location - and they shipped it to the one near me for free to examine. Price was about 5% more than what it would have been from any other dealer / person, but after 3 months of looking, nowhere even remotely close by had one and I didn't want to travel long distance for something sight unseen - and especially not for a car that spent its life in the east / rust belt. So that eliminated a lot of possibles.

So, there are ways.

echelonphoto

Ready to race!
1, stop creating new threads. (you can bump your old thread and it will get to the top of the list in general)
2, do not buy either. you can literally get a brand new base for 23k, why would you buy someones problem, thats stupid af, if you dont want to slurge for a new SE which a fair range to buy is 27-30k then idn what to tell ya.
Insulting! and no need for it. Shames me that you are a Philly guy! No manners! Post Hurts no one! I don't want a base and you just try to get one for 23k out the door. A loaded se will run you well over 30. My deceased on was 2 years old and nicely optioned and cpo'd at 21K. I never buy new because of the depreciation is ridiculous.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Insulting! and no need for it. Shames me that you are a Philly guy! No manners! Post Hurts no one! I don't want a base and you just try to get one for 23k out the door. A loaded se will run you well over 30. My deceased on was 2 years old and nicely optioned and cpo'd at 21K. I never buy new because of the depreciation is ridiculous.

He's right about the threads and that's part of the rules.
He's also not being rude he's giving good financial advice. Even if you don't want a new loaded SE you can find so many better deals that don't have these random risks associated with them.
Another guy on forum just bought a 2018 Autobahn used for about 20k miles without sketchy histories for 23k. These are risky options and there are better deals to be had out there.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^
That car was tuned and effectively has a limited warranty now.

It's just a happy story cause that dude was gonna tune the car anyway. ?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I bought a used 2018 Autobahn with 11K miles for $25K, no mods, no sketch other than rashed up Miltons. They are out there. You have to look way beyond the search services. Its work.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
He's right about the threads and that's part of the rules.
He's also not being rude he's giving good financial advice. Even if you don't want a new loaded SE you can find so many better deals that don't have these random risks associated with them.
Another guy on forum just bought a 2018 Autobahn used for about 20k miles without sketchy histories for 23k. These are risky options and there are better deals to be had out there.
Appreciate you. You read my post spot on. Creating new threads for the same issue is a site no no, i reviewed kellybluebook prices for fair price range on a new deal. You can get brand new out the door s for 23-23.5 no issues. You can get se for 26.5+ your literally paying for the lsd, lp, push to start, sun roof, and leather seats. And for the record what I say on here is no “insulting blah blah” i really try to give people a middle of the road response thats the truth. If I was mean you and everyone else would know, I’m from philly hahaha ?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
If you are really considering the lemon, here i is some advise.

1. Walk over to the service department with the VIN and ask them to pull the service history. It will likely show the visits and what was repeated or drug out for lemon.

2. Talk to your finance company and insurance. Make sure both will underwrite the car.

3. Know you’ll never be able to sell the car for shit. Plan to own it till death.

I bought a Jeep Liberty CRD that was prior lemon. Did #1 and found it was the common EGR clog issue. Did a tune that pretty much killed the EGR during soot heavy times, drove it 60k all over the map, and off-roaded the piss out of it. Of the three of them in my group of friends, my lemon was the only problem free for the 5 years I owned it. She’s still going strong now. So do your research and know what you’re getting into.

Or, it’s end of 19, go snap up a deeply discounted Rabbit or SE and enjoy the warranty.

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
It has been my experience that when you "don't know what to do" then I have not found the right deal.
I'd say keep looking unless truly forced to buy right now. If you keep your eyes open, the right deal shows up without the worry.

One other comment - a lot of people don't know their car was repossessed until they realize it is gone. The one you are considering may be a gem.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
^^ true. It’s not like an eviction. You wake up and your car is gone.

If you’re not set on a SE with cloth, why not an 18 for the better warranty?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Or, it’s end of 19, go snap up a deeply discounted Rabbit or SE and enjoy the warranty.

discounted new rabbit? Pretty sure all that inventory is gone now, nothing pulls up nationwide on VW or emunds when I search it, there should be some CPO’s available soon that were buybacks from the stalling issue though...

OP, as mentioned above I don’t think either one is the right choice for you considering you’re asking for advice from our opinionated collective group, lol.
you’ll know when the right one pops up for you.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Why not just use 1 thread?

This.

Because older threads start to become ignored and this is a somewhat different case than the last.

Bumping a thread helps in that scenario.

#1 is a 2017 autobahn with 18K miles, loaded., one owner at 21,500 at a vw dealer...still has quite a bit of warranty left...only problem, I learned that it was a repossesed vehicle, which makes me kind of queasy, as the owner might have taken some revenge and beaten the crap out of it. Other one is a 2017 SE with pp, lighting pkg. 22,000 miles, very clean, good dealer. But this car was a lemon buy back...I think it was returned because of sunroof problems,

I would not buy either other those. Either expand the search or wait for the right one.

With the second vehicle, how do you know it was a buyback because of sunroof.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
discounted new rabbit? Pretty sure all that inventory is gone now, nothing pulls up nationwide on VW or emunds when I search it, there should be some CPO’s available soon that were buybacks from the stalling issue though...

OP, as mentioned above I don’t think either one is the right choice for you considering you’re asking for advice from our opinionated collective group, lol.
you’ll know when the right one pops up for you.

how were you able to search nationwide on vw?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When someone posts a thread that maybe should have been bumped from an older thread it amuses me that there are so so many posts pointing that out. Seems easier to me and less cluttered to just respond to the OP. If that sounds critical to the people who told that to the OP I'm sorry. But it's annoying that so many posts point that out.