GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing to “update to ‘29” thread

swcrow

Autocross Champion
The builder of the hood made it out of carbon fiber, but instead of putting a hole through the carbon fiber, made it into a “C” so it would fit around a bolt.

There is a bolt hole in the radiator structural arm that allows a bolt to fit through, which the hood “wraps around”.

No matter what I use or try, the wingnut always backs out. What I’m looking for, is a more secure way to secure the hood to the radiator arms.

Here are some pics which hopefully gives you a visual, but I desperately need some structural advice for someone who’s gone down this road before with another car project

2BA85660-EB7A-4068-B510-9C8D7496EEE5.jpeg

131393B9-659C-4E71-83D6-D6D0A681D5F7.jpeg
0F075CA5-3EF5-4B9D-BB18-7CC4884C9642.jpeg

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
I had considered thread locker, but haven’t because this hood gets taken off really frequently, especially during the spring/summer. Lock washer does nothing.

She shakes and rattles everything loose lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
how about a nyloc nut

...or just go FL man and delete the hood
I could totally do the nut, but was hoping for a quick release of some type.

Oh yeah, depending on where I go, hood comes off for sure.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Drill a small hole through the bolt and safety wire or cotter pin the wing nut. Think of it as a hood pin with extra steps.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Drill a small hole through the bolt and safety wire or cotter pin the wing nut. Think of it as a hood pin with extra steps.
Not a bad idea actually

cb1111

Try a rubber washer between the two pieces. Might be enough to cut down on the vibrations.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Touche

So I never tried…. Been running the 29 with no hood because #lazy and I’m about to turn it in and hopefully do a velocity stack with scoop, which won’t fit under the hood.

IF I don’t do that, I’ll update this thread with what I’m doing.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Still running hood less
IMG_4755.jpeg