GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed Power module piggy back safe on the track?

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

Yes, i know, i need a proper tune but i have a 18 GTI and do not want to lose my powertrain warranty if something were to happen. A proper tune will be done in a few years along with a clutch upgrade, but not at the moment.

NPM is actually a great device imo. Very noticeable power gains and i only got it for $100.

Im not knowledgeable in the world of tuning so i want to ask how safe are these piggybacks?

Ive only read online that proper tunes accounts for everything in all scenario's while a piggyback with stock ecu do not have these safeguards with the added boost.

Those who are knowledgeable with tuning in relation to how these piggybacks work, please enlighten me and your thoughts if these are safe for track use and prolong use.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Get a JB1 instead, at the very least. Just read that you already have the NPM.

I've run my JB1 on a custom Map 6 for the last two years with ZERO issues. Granted, those two years involved less than 10K kms.

Last edited:

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Are you at sea level? If so you will be fine.
If you live at a high elevation, the car will end up pulling so much timing that you might as well just take it off

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Are you at sea level? If so you will be fine.
If you live at a high elevation, the car will end up pulling so much timing that you might as well just take it off

Why would it pull more timing at elevation with the NPM than without?

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Why would it pull more timing at elevation with the NPM than without?

I don't really know. I had a JB1 that I was running at 6,000ft of elevation and 91 octane gas and the default boost settings were too high and the car was constantly pulling a ton of timing. I had to back the boost back tob about 3 psi to get it to run smoothly. I should have bought the JB4 instead of the JB1. The NPM has no adjustment other than the +5/+7 psi switch. I can only imagine how terribly my car would have run with a NPM in my conditions.

I consulted with George and he was recommending that when I tracked my car here in Colorado to set the JB1 to only +2 PSI for track days. The NPM would have been best left unplugged.
6000ft and 91 octane fuel is very different conditions than sea level and good gas. Roughly 18-20% lower air density at my elevation

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I thought turbo engines would be less affected by elevation compared to a NA engine. Mix in some E85?

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Call Neuspeed? I ran mine for about 10k with no issues. Never at the track...but I've run it pretty good at the top end before. I've never had a problem. I don't think I've ever heard of a Neuspeed part blowing up someones engine.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The point of it is to produce better lap times if it's safe to do so...

You'll get a much better improvement in lap times with just seat time, or if you want to spend some money, good tires and some camber.