GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Civic Type R

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Comes ricered out direct from the factory.
Could they have found the space to add another vent, scoop, flare, or aero extension?
And, are blacked out central grills not done to death?
I have nothing against Honda, they build very good cars and between my wife and I we had a couple.
I loved the second gen, Prelude.
It's the styling that's got to go.

James75

Go Kart Champion
It's a very particular type of 'hot hatch' - it's not really competing with the likes of the Golf R - they will certainly run group tests invoking the R, Civic Type R and Focus RS but they are different cars.

I am always amazed how a car is released and people immediately start debating it as a threat, manufacturers are too clever, they would rather find a niche within a market than directly combat each other. I think this will sell well in the UK - there's a huge following for the Type R here and that 'Jap Look/Geek Fest spoilers and interior' has its own fans.

Personally - I think it looks hideous - I'd be too self conscious in a car like this - I am 40 years old and I just feel all this look like it is trying too hard. I am also wary of the fact it is not 4WD, be interesting to see how it performs in the real world.

However I applaud Honda's bonkersness and to bringing something else to the market.

James

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Some more photo's and info...
-http://autoweek.com/article/geneva-...ype-r-debuts-geneva-auto-show-production-form
-http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/...2015-revealed-in-geneva-prices-pics-and-video
-http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-civic-type-r-geneva-reveal-2015-03-02

So the 15' Honda Civic Type R ran a 7:50.63, that's just ridiculous. As ugly as it is, the performance per dollar might just be the bargain of the century. To put it in perspective, here is a list of some of the other cars that ran similar times:

-Type R is faster than...Mercedes SL65 AMG Black Series, Jaguar XKR-S, Ford GT-40, Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4, BMW M5, Aston Martin V12 Vantage S, BMW M4
-Just a tick or two slower than... Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Porsche 911 Turbo, BMW M3 GT3, Alpina B3 GT3, Lamborghini Murcielago, Porsche 911 Carrera S

Not one car on that list retails for less than twice of what the projected type R will cost.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
All this bashing... The new type R is a fucking rocket, an incredible car and a testament to the recent advances in FWD technology. I love it, every bit of it. The wild styling and race car interior is a sublime representation of what that car is capable of; pure insanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James75

Go Kart Champion
How do we know it's a testament to the advances of FWD - no ones driven it yet and the version they did awesome laps in was preproduction - minus a few bits with the addition of a roll cage. It's quick but what would a Golf R do if allowed? There is potential for genius but it is a very different sort of 'fast hatch' to the Golf. Also... Once you've added the GT pack do get the things that are standard on the Golf R then it's not so cheap.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
The Seat Leon Cupra R that ran the 7:58 time is basically a 2dr GTI PP DSG with 280HP R engine, better tires and slightly larger front brakes. A well tuned PP GTI will hang with a stock Type-R... but a 4cyl FWD 4dr that's coming off the assembly line like this is incredible.

James75

Go Kart Champion
If anyone can put that much power through the front wheels than Honda can but I feel 4WD would be more useful and I suspect it's engineering and costs that mean it's not included. No doubt this car has potential - in the UK the previous Type R never quite lived up to the one before it which achieved cult status. I'm not keen on the styling because I'm over 30 and would feel slightly too obvious driving around it. At my age I enjoy subtle and that's where the Golf suits me. There's confidence in the Golf. There are aspects of the Civic styling where they look like they are trying too hard.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
I would like to see the test done in a car without a roll cage and potentially other enhancements, including the tyres. Not Honda bashing as I think the same for the Cupra and Megane Trophy. I know they are purchased from new with these tyres but it would be nice to see a like for like comparison and not more track focused tyres used.

Then we could judge what the price hike or weight saving or 60hp actually does.

I think the rear looks hideous on the white car Pg2.

The OP image was ok, but it now reminds me of Barry Boys Saxo http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12

Last edited:

Sonicbasher

Passed Driver's Ed
I for one am going to put a deposit down( no not a poo) as my GTi has been a total clusterf*$k since day one and totally fed up with the whole Golf ownership. C yers.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I for one am going to put a deposit down( no not a poo) as my GTi has been a total clusterf*$k since day one and totally fed up with the whole Golf ownership. C yers.

I think some would be interested in the issues you've been having with your GTI.

Whackamac

Ready to race!
i think this new honda is going to appeal to the fanboi and the curious...

Lets See...
Honda type R $36-40k ish...

Or...
Golf R $36k+
WRX STI $40k
Focus RS ~$40k
Audi S3 $41k
and...
Dart SRT4 (confirmed 12/16.. no details. go to bottom and look at product plan) http://www.fcagroup.com/investorday/PresentationList/Dodge_Brand.pdf

With the success of racing my Focus ST, the Focus RS is looking reeeeeeealy good.... The steering is unbeatable.