GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Next gen Twins could be awesome

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
BRZ and Toyota 86 next gen rumored to arrive next year as 2022 models.

Plenty of speculation, including a switch to a 2.4L powerplant, possibly with a turbo making > 250hp, or a 10-15 hp bump from current with a 2.4L NA.

Speculation that cg will be lower and curb weight close to current.

Some of us know that the current gen could use some power for DD and straight line. Some of us also know this car can give a GTI a serious butt-kicking at autocross due to rwd, lower cg and lower weight. More power may make it even more so in that arena.

There are plenty of articles out there, here is a recent one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33595275/2022-toyota-86-subaru-brz-greater-details-spied/

bentin

Autocross Champion
I've driven the current one extensively, planned on buying one as I greatly prefer rwd. But I couldn't do it either time. The steering is poor, it was compromised in development and they had to switch it from the ideal setup of calipers on the back, steering arms on the front to the opposite (like nearly all fwd cars). The current engine is just awful, the torque valley at 4.5k rpm is absurd and impossible to do away with and the Toyota developed port injection has had numerous lean out issues with track use. And the interior is just naff, the stupid 1987 Corolla digital clock would drive me crazy and Subaru plastics and carpets are possibly the worst of any current brand.

The chassis is good, the Toyota is surprisingly close to neutral in stock form, and gets even better with a good alignment. The Subaru has a good bit more understeer, but that fits the brand, so I guess that's what they wanted, but it obviously can be easily setup like the Toyota. If the new one gets a turbo, I'd strongly consider it, but with those low power ratings, I assume it will be n/a with stupidly low torque numbers and that just doesn't interest me.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Would be nice for it to get a turbo engine that the majority of the enthusiast world has loudly yelled about for years and years. But this is a brand which begins with S and ends with ubaru which specializes in letting folks down by keeping power figures fundamentally the same over multiple generations in lieu of other priorities. I hope I'm wrong because I'm a big fan of the 86 but anyone holding their breath for it might pass out.