GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nikkor 50mm 1.8 vs 1.4

white4dr

The Stig
So I'm looking at getting a 50mm prime. The 1.8 is a steal for 100 bucks. The 1.4 is 300. According to the tests I've read, the 1.8 is just as sharp and has less distortion than the 1.4. Id assume the 1.4 is built better though. I'm sure the 1.8 can give me the narrow DOF I'm looking for.

Considering the price difference is that extra 2/3 of a stop worth 200 dollars?

I do shoot in low light, right now the best I have is f/2.8. Will the 1.8 make a noticable difference in my shutter speeds or would it be worth it to keep saving and get the 1.4?

AdvanSuper

Banned
50mm 1.8 overall is an awesome. I don't know if I could personally see any point in getting the 1.4 for that price point, unless I had money to throw around it would be in my lens collection. I'd pick up the 1.8 and save money for a different lens like a wide angle or a different size prime lens.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
I would go with the 1.8. it's an awesome lens especially for the price. the 1.4 is obviously better but to me is not worth the extra $200 bucks unless it's for your career or something.

rinzorz619

Ready to race!
www.pixel-peeper.com

You can find examples of different lenses with different cameras. Just compare the images, see which one you like better. Other than that, I'd recommend messing with the 2 lenses if you can. Find someone with them or rent them from the store?