GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No base Golf?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Which is why hatchbacks are such a great seller in Europe, where sedans like the Jetta don't sell.

The Golf needs to be advertised AND needs to be offered with all of the options (Parktronic, driver aids, big nav) for those people who want the toys but don't want the bigger engines - just like in Europe.

Exactly, it's such a missed opportunity.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
I checked that link and it's kind of sad actually. The next time that gas goes over $4.00 per gallon we'll see how all the SUV buyers react then. There won't be any choices left that get better fuel mileage. I don't understand how the car manufacturers are meeting the CAFE standards.

The crossovers aren't SUVs, and their gas mileage isn't much different than sedans / hatchbacks. They really are just cars (wagons, actually) with a higher h-point. With phony plastic cladding to make them look off-road capable.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Which is why hatchbacks are such a great seller in Europe, where sedans like the Jetta don't sell.

The Golf needs to be advertised AND needs to be offered with all of the options (Parktronic, driver aids, big nav) for those people who want the toys but don't want the bigger engines - just like in Europe.

Not sure if advertising would change this scenario. People are so obsessed with bigger vehicles and there has to be a whole mindset change for them to adapt to hatchbacks. Once the gas prices go up, they would realize what they have got into and there wouldnt be any smaller vehicles in the market for them to choose from.

danvphotos

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if advertising would change this scenario. People are so obsessed with bigger vehicles and there has to be a whole mindset change for them to adapt to hatchbacks. Once the gas prices go up, they would realize what they have got into and there wouldnt be any smaller vehicles in the market for them to choose from.

AWD is another big factor too. Most people (myself included, despite what I drive) don't need AWD for 99%+ of their driving, but it is definitely contributing to the trend of choosing crossovers over small hatchbacks as well.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
This is too bad. I loved my MK5 Rabbit (base Golf). If fact, it was the "Gateway Drug" that lead me to GTIs and the R.

If I was looking to downsize my car payments, or lost interest in the extra performance of the GTI or R, a plain-Jane base Golf would still be on top of my list.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I hate how the American public has been generally tricked into somehow thinking driving an SUV is safer and now everybody buys SUV's for their kids, for their wives, old people, etc. If you don't need the space or towing of an SUV then you shouldn't be daily driving one. We need less SUV's and more small cars that people can get excited about

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
I hate how the American public has been generally tricked into somehow thinking driving an SUV is safer and now everybody buys SUV's for their kids, for their wives, old people, etc. If you don't need the space or towing of an SUV then you shouldn't be daily driving one. We need less SUV's and more small cars that people can get excited about
Do you have statistics to back either claim?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Small car hit SUV, who wins?
Small german car hits not as safe F150 crew cab. Who wins?
Yes, good design is a must, but like in football, weight and size helps.

https://youtu.be/A9rNLnRczZg

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Small car hit SUV, who wins?
Small german car hits not as safe F150 crew cab. Who wins?
Yes, good design is a must, but like in football, weight and size helps.

https://youtu.be/A9rNLnRczZg

I once saw the after effects of a Smart car and a full size pickup that hit each other head on and the full size pickup truck lost.I don't know the circumstances but it was impressive.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I dont have stats because I don't feel like looking them up. But it all depends on design and build quality. Just because you have an SUV doesn't automatically make you safer. Yes size helps, and gets you up out of the direct impact zone if a car hits you, but if everybody is driving an SUV then it all equals out.

Torquey

on_the_overrun
I read something about the gti outselling the golf here 3 to 1

From my observations in the Dallas area, I say that's about right. A lot more GTis on the road than Golfs. The reason we bought the Golf and not the GTi is because primarily it is the wife's car and it offers more than enough utility and sportiness for her. I did add a Dinantronics Performance Module and BMS Pedal Tuner to up the fun level a bit. DG springs are next... but that will be it.

Mazda has got the near premium hatchback formula right, and it will continue to fill the niche when the golf is gone from the US markets.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Golf Sportwagens outsell base Golfs around here. 4mo Sportywagens outsell base Golfs. Tiguans outsell base golfs. Passats outsell base golfs. Jettas outsell base golfs. GTIs far outsell base Golfs. I probably see 2 Golf Rs on the road for every base golf that I see. I see near as many Atlases as I do base Golfs.

It's funny, but I bet in 25 years time, just like that Golf Country and the Golf Rallye, the full factory condition base model golf and a low mileage Highline Golf TDI will be the sought after "collected for the rare experience" cars.

in 2045 on vwvortexonaspacestation.com "Hello everyone, check out my new hologram images- I got a true survivor example: a non neutered TDI Highline Wagon. Completely factory original condition"
(immediately followed of course the response from the other users)
"Nice, but needs some polished BBS's."
"Agreed. Swap those bootleg wheels for something more period correct, like a nice set of Austins."
"You need some moon coilovers, it sits way too high, what is that, a flying car?"
"Nah man, H&R cup kit with a RSB is better. WTB one?"
"Nice ride!!! Interested in trading it for a fusebox cover for a mk2, a Beyond Meat gift card with twenty seven credits on it, a visor mounted CD holder, an ashtray cover, a steelie spare wheel from a Mk2 ID3, and some cash on your end?"

Time to hermetically seal a low mile Highline TDI wagon, so I can finally get my hands on a fusebox cover for a mk2 and a CD holder.

Last edited: