GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No mk9 Golf?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Electric cars from now on I would say, ID3, ID4, ID5 , Buzz van.
Yes. My next car will probably be electric but highly unlikely to be a VW. I don’t like the styling of VW’s ID vehicle range, the interiors look decidedly low-rent (IMHO), and I’m dubious over whether VW have been successful in fixing all the software issues.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
That'd be me done with Golfs then, having them since 2008-ish. I keep the car in a garage for peace of mind & security reasons & it's also why I cycle to / from work, even with on-street parking (no thanks) far too long for a charge cable, 50-100 yds. So no leccy car for me even if I wanted one, which I certainly don't....

Last edited:

M|W

Yes. My next car will probably be electric but highly unlikely to be a VW. I don’t like the styling of VW’s ID vehicle range, the interiors look decidedly low-rent (IMHO), and I’m dubious over whether VW have been successful in fixing all the software issues.
I agree with both your points. And on top of that is VW’s appalling lack of customer support - at least in Denmark. I have ordered an electric car to replace my Golf, and I didn’t even consider a VW.

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
VW has lost it's way long ago but I hoped things would turn around. I have a 2019 GTI S and plan to keep it until the factory warranty is gone.
Next car will not be a VW or any of the Volkswagen family of fine autos.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The golf will continue to be built, they’ll just call whatever electric hatch they design that name, take off the iD3 badges for example and call it a Golf, simple!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The golf will continue to be built, they’ll just call whatever electric hatch they design that name, take off the iD3 badges for example and call it a Golf, simple!
I’m not sure that they will.

VW will have probably invested millions on promoting ‘ID‘ as their all electric brand. IMHO it’s highly unlikely they‘ll write off that investment and drop the ID brand and revert back to reusing model names of their existing ICE powered cars for their electric vehicle range.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

VW will have probably invested millions on promoting ‘ID‘ as their all electric brand. IMHO it’s highly unlikely they‘ll write off that investment and drop the ID brand and revert back to reusing model names of their existing ICE powered cars for their electric vehicle range.
The ID badge is there to distinguish the electric range while ICE cars are still available, come 2030/35 there will no longer be ICE cars being produced (in Europe at least), they won’t then refer to all their models as ID, how dull would that be, this isn’t Volvo you know!😆, there will be no need to distinguish them, as all their cars will be electric they can start using model names only as the power train is a given, at the moment ID is purely marketing and allows the consumer to see easily what they are buying, the same will happen to the etron badge with Audi, they will drop it, Golf, Tiguan, Passat, A3 or whatever can all stay named as such, the ID power train will be developed and built into whichever model they wish, the Golf is not dead, there will be an electric GTI and R, mark my words.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The ID badge is there to distinguish the electric range while ICE cars are still available, come 2030/35 there will no longer be ICE cars being produced (in Europe at least), they won’t then refer to all their models as ID, how dull would that be, this isn’t Volvo you know!😆, there will be no need to distinguish them, as all their cars will be electric they can start using model names only as the power train is a given, at the moment ID is purely marketing and allows the consumer to see easily what they are buying, the same will happen to the etron badge with Audi, they will drop it, Golf, Tiguan, Passat, A3 or whatever can all stay named as such, the ID power train will be developed and built into whichever model they wish, the Golf is not dead, there will be an electric GTI and R, mark my words.
Agree, there will be performance EV’s, and VW are already using GTX for their high performance all wheel drive ID.4 And ID.5 models. Whether there’ll ever be an electric GTI or R; we‘ll need to wait and see. GTI is an interesting one; with the ‘I’ in GTI standing for (fuel) ‘injection’, would GTI badging be used on an EV with no fuel injection system? Maybe VW will use GTE for 2 wheel drive performance EV’s rather than GTI.

As to whether the existing ICE model names will live on - time will tell and we’ll need to wait and see. I think that if VW does drop their ID badging, then they may introduce completely new model names rather than use existing ones.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Found this item in a national daily newspaper. Looks very unlikely that there will be a Golf Mk9 -

“The strategy of moving the entire VW Group into battery electric technology was certainly bold, entailing massive investment and effectively running two separate companies producing combustion and EV vehicles, simulataneously diluting the appeal and ultimately abandoning previous bestselling cash cows such as the Golf family hatchback.

But criticism has mounted of VW’s lacklustre quality and controversial screen-based software which is hard to use and unstable, as well as its arrogant treatment of its customers, investors and worker councils. Diess seemed to retreat, issuing baffling Tweets, and appearing in excruciatingly over-produced promotional videos. As one former insider put it at the beginning of the year: “Fear stalks the long corridors at Wolfsburg again.”

Ghawk

Ready to race!

Found this item in a national daily newspaper. Looks very unlikely that there will be a Golf Mk9 -

“The strategy of moving the entire VW Group into battery electric technology was certainly bold, entailing massive investment and effectively running two separate companies producing combustion and EV vehicles, simulataneously diluting the appeal and ultimately abandoning previous bestselling cash cows such as the Golf family hatchback.

But criticism has mounted of VW’s lacklustre quality and controversial screen-based software which is hard to use and unstable, as well as its arrogant treatment of its customers, investors and worker councils. Diess seemed to retreat, issuing baffling Tweets, and appearing in excruciatingly over-produced promotional videos. As one former insider put it at the beginning of the year: “Fear stalks the long corridors at Wolfsburg again.”
No idea what the VW use of the ID and IMHO codes mean. In my day few knew what GTO meant. Help!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
No idea what the VW use of the ID and IMHO codes mean. In my day few knew what GTO meant. Help!
Apparently, ID. stands for ‘intelligent design, identity and visionary technologies’ 🤣 🤔.

https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2019/05/VW_brand_ID3.html#

IMHO, with the exception of the ID.Life concept and the ID.Buzz, I personally think VW’s design language for its ID. vehicle range is bland and bordering on being ugly. The interiors are distinctly low-rent too; cost cutting in evidence compared to the Golf (especially when compared to the mk7.5 Golf). And let’s not forget VW’s attempt at designing its own software, which couldn’t be described as a resounding success story.

When the time comes for me to switch to an electric car, it won’t be a VW.