Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Sauber

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Manor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Well that’s even worse lol. So Vettel just sucks at driving and that’s why he made a mistake. Lewis was absolutely pushing him. Lewis was well within DRS for quite a few laps at the end and waiting for an opportunity to pass. Instead he got gifted a mistake. Job done.

You act like this is the first time a shitty ruling has been made in F1 and a big deal has been made about it. Has anything changed over the years for the better?

Of course Lewis brought it to the attention of the stewards. And rightfully so. His job is to win. At all costs. Vettel would’ve done the same. It’s gamesmanship. It’s part of every sport.

Vettel did do the same thing, he brought attention to the decision??? Which was exactly my point. I'm not sure what your point is or why you're so fueled up to go after me on this? Very odd.

Edit: And regardless, it seems like we're on the same side overall. F1 sucks right now. Something needs to change.

torga

Autocross Champion
1.) I agree, the 2019 season has been incredibly boring to watch except for this race and Bahrain (Bahrain was more heart breaking, but w/e).

2.) I agree with Cowtown, and literally every announcer and driver that has spoken out about the incident except a minor handful. Vettel made a mistake, that much is certain. But he literally had nowhere to go. What was the correct action, try to slow down quickly on a surface with zero traction, inevitably spin out, then take himself AND Hamilton out? No way. He recovered his incident, rejoined the track, and unfortunately experienced a second break in traction once back on the tarmac. He made nothing that resembled a two-move position defense, he was simply recovering from his mistake and rejoining the track as simply as possible. This is a through-and-through racing incident and no one is at fault. Vettel recovered as best he could and Hamilton made a 0.01s decision and went for a delicious gap (which quickly disappeared). That's called racing, ladies and gents. This is not the first bullshit call by FIA and it won't be the last.

3.) I regret not watching the race yesterday so I could have joined this conversation earlier.

4.) I am an unbiased Alonso fanboy. So, in effect, a sadboi. Though I'm looking forward to his crew hopefully winning Le Mans again this weekend and subsequently the WEC Championship. He deserves it.

In a strict, black & white scenario, Vettel is technically guilty, yes - if a computer were to make the decision. But there is always interpretation to these rules and there are always circumstances - things are almost never black and white when there are so many factors and variables like this. The interpretation of the rules on Sunday were wrong.

Edit: Found a great quote from Ricciardo: "If he pulls a little further to the left, he'll spin. When he brakes on the grass, he'll spin too. There was not much room for Lewis but still enough.I had an identical situation with Lewis in 2016 Monte Carlo. He had to go through the emergency exit and almost pushed me into the wall on his return. With me it was tighter than now with him. He didn't get a penalty. That was a good thing. It was a hard racing." Source: AMuS

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
A quick photo if we wanna be truly black and white.

Wouldn't Hamilton deserve a penalty as well for having all four tires off the line?
His only defense would be circumstance: he wouldn't have had to move so far out of Vettel hadn't squeezed him. Well, Vettel wouldn't have had to squeeze if he wasn't busy saving himself from a spin. These rules must be open to interpretation.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
What caused Hamilton to be all four off? Vettel. The rules are simple. Once you leave the track. You must safely rejoin it. Doesn’t matter the excuse. Dirty tires, out of control, etc. If your rejoining the track causes another driver to have to make adjustments to avoid you, you’ve not done it safely, and you’re going to get a penalty. The telemetry doesn’t lie. It shows Vettel regained control of his car, then made additional steering inputs to block Lewis, who was on the racing line and surely would’ve passed him. The rules state you can’t do that. Not sure what’s hard to grasp here.

torga

Autocross Champion
Please link the telemetry data you're talking about, because I can only find data on Hamilton. Until then, I fully disagree with the penalty. From the onboards and from the crane cam, it is abundantly obvious that Vettel lost the rear again as soon as he re-entered the track. It was not a malicious move; it was not a two-steering wheel-movement defense.

As for Hamilton, I wasn't trying to suggest that he deserves a four-off penalty. I don't think he does, since he was avoiding Vettel. Again, circumstance. Rules can and should be grey when they must be. I was merely using that photo as an example that interpreting it as black and white is wrong in certain cases. There are factors and variables.

Read: I am not defending Vettel's actions after the race; he did some petty/childish things and disrespected the FIA stewards. However, that WAS fun as hell to watch and F1 needs more emotion these days! Shit's been too clinical and dry recently.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Mercedes Fans: "Rules are rules. sorry"

Hamilton in same race...

Ferrari Fans: Err isnt that unsafe pit entry?

Fia: who just exceeded pit limits? oh 44? nah no penalty.

In a race where milliseconds matter this is not acceptable. Makes you wonder if hamilton would even be close enough to be "impeded" if he didnt cut through pit limits.

:wub:

He acted the same way Hamilton did, really. It was all theatrics by everyone involved.
yup
Please link the telemetry data you're talking about, because I can only find data on Hamilton. Until then, I fully disagree with the penalty. From the onboards and from the crane cam, it is abundantly obvious that Vettel lost the rear again as soon as he re-entered the track. It was not a malicious move; it was not a two-steering wheel-movement defense.

As for Hamilton, I wasn't trying to suggest that he deserves a four-off penalty. I don't think he does, since he was avoiding Vettel. Again, circumstance. Rules can and should be grey when they must be. I was merely using that photo as an example that interpreting it as black and white is wrong in certain cases. There are factors and variables.

Read: I am not defending Vettel's actions after the race; he did some petty/childish things and disrespected the FIA stewards. However, that WAS fun as hell to watch and F1 needs more emotion these days! Shit's been too clinical and dry recently.

The telemetry does not matter in this situation as it does not register all variables suh as the grass/moisture on the tires.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
The telemetry does not matter in this situation as it does not register all variables suh as the grass/moisture on the tires.
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make - I just want to have all information.
Slowing down drastically or making sudden maneuvers in grass almost unilaterally equals a loss of control. Vettel did the very best he could to wrestle that car back onto the pavement in a tidy manner. Unfortunately he lost the rear again as soon as he re-entered - due to any combination of debris, moisture or later of grass on the tires - and ran wide in his second wrest for control.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
It will be a long time before all the hand wringing & teeth nashing subsides from this one. I hate to see Vettel or anyone lose a race this way.

My take as an old fart racer who used to race in the pee wee league. He went off track & did everything in his power to keep that other car behind him. Plain & simple. Yes there are rules & but those rules should not he hard & fast. IMO the penalty does not fit the crime.

Now I'm done with this, onto France.....

Keep on whining if you like, but nothing will change. The results will stand.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make - I just want to have all information.
Slowing down drastically or making sudden maneuvers in grass almost unilaterally equals a loss of control. Vettel did the very best he could to wrestle that car back onto the pavement in a tidy manner. Unfortunately he lost the rear again as soon as he re-entered - due to any combination of debris, moisture or later of grass on the tires - and ran wide in his second wrest for control.
I think he was squirrely coming off the grass then likely hit the throttle to accelerate which cracked the back end loose, resulting in the "extra move".

However you gotta ask yourself, even if there was a move...rules state youre allowed at least 1 move to defend your position sooo... :iono:

i dunno. i just want to see leclerc win a podium and or a race already...and its time for stroll to leave. lol
IMO the penalty does not fit the crime.

This. ^

As i said before, surrendering p1 position and then having to battle it back in last few laps wouldve been more fitting.