GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Golf Recipe Thread - Happy 4th of July 🎆🎇 Get to Grilling!!

Phur

Autocross Champion
Yeah, stay out of the SCAMdemic thread, no matter what side you're on everyone is insane. Make yourself a batch of Lady Phur's balls and remember a simpler time.

I've got a log recipe I need to post but feeling inadequate because I don't have such nice pictures as Lady Phur.
She does get some good food photography, not gonna lie. Some things just do not photograph well though... like Beef Stroganoff. There is no way to make that look appetizing.

I’m sitting here impatiently waiting for your log. 😂

Phur

Autocross Champion
Okay, here’s the Stroganoff. Since it is really hard to make look appealing, she said fuck it since it is kind of an old fashioned recipe and went with some photo editing that made it look like it could’ve been taken with a Polaroid.
1611032100792.jpeg
The stuff really is delicious and super easy! I highly recommend it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
@MonkeyMD Have you tried making your own pitas? They are SO good! And not a P.I.T.A. at all. 😁
1611032475172.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Okay, here’s the Stroganoff. Since it is really hard to make look appealing, she said fuck it since it is kind of an old fashioned recipe and went with some photo editing that made it look like it could’ve been taken with a Polaroid. View attachment 200421The stuff really is delicious and super easy! I highly recommend it.
Usually make my stroganoff with thinly sliced beef, not ground. Actually have never tried it with ground beef

@MonkeyMD Have you tried making your own pitas? They are SO good! And not a P.I.T.A. at all. 😁
View attachment 200422
That's punny.

No. Don't know if I'd have the inclination, but will forward to my wife 😁

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I’m sitting here impatiently waiting for your log. 😂

I will try to see about making one this weekend and post it up. ;)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Usually make my stroganoff with thinly sliced beef, not ground. Actually have never tried it with ground beef

That's punny.

No. Don't know if I'd have the inclination, but will forward to my wife 😁
Same here, lol....had to ask my co-worker if they've had stroganoff with ground beef either. My mom used to make it with little pieces of steak back in the day

Phur

Autocross Champion
Pic of Thumper's log... 😁
1611350472638.png

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Allright, here we go. Usually make bigger ones for parties and large gatherings, usually making them with about 3-4lbs of bacon each so they are twice as wide and twice as long. But this is a small log just for me. lol Wife is not a fan of sausage so this is all mine.

This thing has been around for a long time, I'm not claiming to have invented this but I have been making them for about 10 years now. They called them Bacon Explosions when I found them back then, but it's roughly log shaped so Bacon Log sounds better. :)

1. I like to use a baking sheet as a work area, and use tin foil to make a later step adding seasoning easier. You start by making a layer of raw bacon strips in a weave. You can lengthen the log by just extending the weave with overlapped strips on one end. A normal full size you would use 2lbs of bacon, this example is a single pound for the weave. Cut some strips in half to use for the end cap, right in the center of the sections that will be the ends. To make them bigger just overlap the weaves to make the size and shape you wish.
  2. On a cutting board or a chilled cookie sheet flatten out a layer of sausage, whatever you want for the flavor profile. Italian sage, maple breakfast, plain with your own season. Generally it's about a 1:1, if you use 1lb of bacon, 1lb of sausage. 2lbs of bacon, 2lbs of sausage.
  3. Now a layer of cheese on top of the sausage you can use slices or I usually like shredded. Make this a thin layer or a heavy one, your choice.
  4. Now on top of the cheese make a layer of cooked bacon crumbles/chunks. I always have bacon I've cooked stored in tuperware in the fridge to be used in cooking or heated up quickly for sandwiches or burgers.
  5. Now for that extra bit, the step to guarantee a small heart event, go back to the layer of weaved bacon and spread a layer of cheese on it., and another layer of cooked bacon crumbles here also. This is a good layer to add other options like grilled onions, salami, smoked ham, anything.
  6. Now you make another layer of sausage to cover the first one with the cheese and bacon. This is roughly log shaped and has a cheesey, bacon filling.
  7. Place the sausage on the bacon weave layer, and wrap the bacon up over the sausage, depending on how much filling you use may have a blank spot, I used two pieces of thick cut bacon to seal it off. The top of the log here is really the bottom so presentation is not important.
  8. Season the log with a favorite rub, use the tin foil to coat the sides by dropping rub on the tin foil on the side, then lift the tin foil to apply.
  9. Flip the log over and season the top (what was the bottom) with rub.
  10. Heat your smoker to 225 and put the log in, depending on the size and smoker it's about a 90 minutes cook. Let it rest about 20 minutes and then slice and serve. If you're going to eat more than 2 slices, have medics on standby.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Mmmmm... bacon basket.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Every one of these food threads piss me off. I sure don't eat as well as everyone else.
🤣

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Allright, here we go. Usually make bigger ones for parties and large gatherings, usually making them with about 3-4lbs of bacon each so they are twice as wide and twice as long. But this is a small log just for me. lol Wife is not a fan of sausage so this is all mine.

This thing has been around for a long time, I'm not claiming to have invented this but I have been making them for about 10 years now. They called them Bacon Explosions when I found them back then, but it's roughly log shaped so Bacon Log sounds better. :)

1. I like to use a baking sheet as a work area, and use tin foil to make a later step adding seasoning easier. You start by making a layer of raw bacon strips in a weave. You can lengthen the log by just extending the weave with overlapped strips on one end. A normal full size you would use 2lbs of bacon, this example is a single pound for the weave. Cut some strips in half to use for the end cap, right in the center of the sections that will be the ends. To make them bigger just overlap the weaves to make the size and shape you wish.
  2. On a cutting board or a chilled cookie sheet flatten out a layer of sausage, whatever you want for the flavor profile. Italian sage, maple breakfast, plain with your own season. Generally it's about a 1:1, if you use 1lb of bacon, 1lb of sausage. 2lbs of bacon, 2lbs of sausage.
  3. Now a layer of cheese on top of the sausage you can use slices or I usually like shredded. Make this a thin layer or a heavy one, your choice.
  4. Now on top of the cheese make a layer of cooked bacon crumbles/chunks. I always have bacon I've cooked stored in tuperware in the fridge to be used in cooking or heated up quickly for sandwiches or burgers.
  5. Now for that extra bit, the step to guarantee a small heart event, go back to the layer of weaved bacon and spread a layer of cheese on it., and another layer of cooked bacon crumbles here also. This is a good layer to add other options like grilled onions, salami, smoked ham, anything.
  6. Now you make another layer of sausage to cover the first one with the cheese and bacon. This is roughly log shaped and has a cheesey, bacon filling.
  7. Place the sausage on the bacon weave layer, and wrap the bacon up over the sausage, depending on how much filling you use may have a blank spot, I used two pieces of thick cut bacon to seal it off. The top of the log here is really the bottom so presentation is not important.
  8. Season the log with a favorite rub, use the tin foil to coat the sides by dropping rub on the tin foil on the side, then lift the tin foil to apply.
  9. Flip the log over and season the top (what was the bottom) with rub.
  10. Heat your smoker to 225 and put the log in, depending on the size and smoker it's about a 90 minutes cook. Let it rest about 20 minutes and then slice and serve. If you're going to eat more than 2 slices, have medics on standby.

Think I need bypass surgery just looking at this. Would still eat it

Phur

Autocross Champion
1611577565863.jpeg

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Think I need bypass surgery just looking at this. Would still eat it

I'm not saying I ever killed anyone with one, but I did make one once with 4lbs of bacon for the weave (basically 4 squares overlaped to make a BIG square), layer of cheese (Triple cheddar) and bacon just like this one, then layer of spicy italian sausage, then a layer of ham, then a layer of capicola, another layer of cheese (provolone), a layer of smoked turkey slices, then a layer of cooked brats sliced lengthwise with grilled onions, then the top layer of sausage, layer of cheese and cooked bacon then wrap it up. Whipped up a blue cheese and bacon sauce drizzled over the top after cooking and served with a bowl of the sauce on the side for dipping..........

It took 2 and a half hours to smoke, had to cover it halfway through to keep the bacon from burning. It was nicknamed the defibrillator and upon taking a bite one of my friends said "I think I better sit down......someone dial 9 and 1 and don't take your eyes off me"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
I would never make that bacon bomb thing but would happily eat it. Tuck it between two slices of Italian bead and yum. I also noted that looks like quality bacon...well done Sir.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I would never make that bacon bomb thing but would happily eat it. Tuck it between two slices of Italian bead and yum. I also noted that looks like quality bacon...well done Sir.

Never skimp on meat quality, especially bacon. That is from a local smokehouse but they ship.

https://www.smokehouse.com/

I used to make the 30 minute drive once a month to stock up and they have what I call an "oops bucket" where they sell 'mistakes' at discount prices. I once got an 8lb ham for $14 because it was spiral sliced incorrectly. Yeah, the slices looked like Stevie Wonder was at the machine, but damn it tasted just as good as ever. They are still stocking my local grocery store but they closed the smokehouse store until further notice so that sucks.