GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OFFICIAL Golfmk5forums.com Tire Thread!!! Ask RedRabidRabbit Everything Tire Related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
I thought I would start this thread based off of some other threads I have seen in other forums (ask a VW salesman, etc) and this would allow most of the tire information to be gathered in one place. As some of you know, I work for 1010tires.com, in store, in Vancouver. We deal with every broad market tire brand and over 40 wheel companies. Our market consists of mostly performance product, and performance/higher end vehicles. Through years of experience, both working in the shop and in sales, I'd like to offer advice and help to anybody who has any tire questions, fitment questions, anything of the like.

In the last two years alone, on my own vehicles I have run seven different tires on five sets of wheels. I feel the need to always be changing and getting to know the product.

So, if anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I really enjoy this stuff, and helping others with it, hence why I am posting this thread in the first place.

:thumbsup:

*EDIT*

Ok, I am going to group my general recommendations into category in this post, because a lot of the questions have been lost in earlier pages and the same questions keep coming up. It's not unreasonable to expect something answered in the 3rd page to be asked again in the 8th, but maybe editing this will resolve some of it. Tires recommended ARE in order of my recommendation.

Summer Tire recommendations, "budget" category.

1. Fuzion ZRi - I've always been a Bridgestone fan, but this tire has seriously surprised me. Wet traction is phenomenal along with excellent dry traction. Comfort is about average, but they are a bit noisy under 35 mph.

2. Kumho SPT - Hard to argue with the popularity of these two. The MX is more of a semi-race tire, so expect awesome dry traction with average wet. They're definately noisy. The SPT is a bit tamer, a little better in wet, and a little more comfortable.

3. Bridgestone Potenza RE760. Only reason this tire is third is because the pricing is a little higher than most in the category, although still below the premium product. Interesting tread design, and as I am sure is typical of Bridgestone, good tread life. Definately in the top three tires today in terms of excellent street tire for the dollar.

Summer Tire recommendations, "premium" category.

1. Michelin PS2 - Build quality is phenomenal, typical of Michelin. Pricing unfortunately is also typical of Michelin... Expensive. Sidewalls are a little softer than most which doesn't help steering response, but definately helps with comfort. Not quite as good in the wet as the previous two, but amazing in the dry.

2. Pirelli P-Zero - Only reason I put this behind the PS2 is based on dollar value. Will stand up to the PS2 in virtually every category, and surpass it in many as well. Extremely high quality product.

3. GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical. Another tire that earns a spot in the top three based on fantastic performance for the dollar. Priced substantially below the PS2/P-Zero but really only gives up anything to the most aggressive driver.

All Season Tire recommendations, "budget" category.

1. Continental ContiExtreme - Slightly noisier than some, but very good in inclement weather, and a lot more snow capability than most all seasons. Gives up a little bit of dry traction because of this, but build quality is great as well as comfort. Treadlife wise, quite good, which counter-acts the slightly higher price.

2. Kumho ASX - Another solid tire, gives up a bit of extreme dry traction like the Continental for added snow capability. Solid in the wet, and average for ride. Nicely priced however.

3. General Exclaim UHP - Our best selling tire. Made by Continental, below average snow capability, but very good in wet. Better in the dry than most all seasons. Softer riding, and a little noisier than average. Very well priced, average treadlife.

All Season Tire recommendations, "premium" category.

1. Bridgestone Potenza RE960 - Again, fantastic build quality combined with fantastic wet traction, in a tire that can take some abuse. Pretty average in snow, but on par with most all seasons. Corners much better than most all seasons, as well as being more comfortable... Good combo.

2. Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S - Fantastic treadlife, better in the dry than most all seasons, but a little bit lacking in snow. Wet traction above average, and a great looking sidewall. Asymetric tread pattern is a little more versatile than directional.

3. GoodYear Eagle F1 A/S - Little better snow capability than the Pirelli, slightly better in the wet than the previous two, but gives up a bit of ride comfort and dry grip to the Pirelli.

Last edited:

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Can i ask a wheel question since you guys sell wheels also? On some sites, they put HPO, MED or STD as the offsets on their wheels. What do those mean? Also you guys need to fix your website. There are no volkswagens listed under 2006.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Can i ask a wheel question since you guys sell wheels also? On some sites, they put HPO, MED or STD as the offsets on their wheels. What do those mean? Also you guys need to fix your website. There are no volkswagens listed under 2006.

I have no idea why these companies would list offsets like that. I am assuming it's because perhaps the wheel only comes in one offset. MED I assume means medium, which would be about a +20 - 32 offset. STD probably means standard, which I guess is their way of saying standard front wheel drive offset or something. Seems to me like it makes more sense just to list the darn offset. Maybe they don't know it exactly.

I'll bring up the issue with the VW stuff on Monday.

Red Rider

Drivers Wanted
Car(s)
2008 Tornado Red GTI
Thanks for offering up your services!

I'm looking to replace the stock A/S 17s and had mentioned the Kumho Ecsta MX to you in another thread. For $200 or less per tire, can anything beat it and justify the extra coin?

I don't want to cheap out on tires, but I don't want to overspend just to get a better name brand.

I want the best dry performance possible and solid in the wet since I'm here in PDX. This will be a Spring/Summer and Fall tire, I'll go back to the A/S for November-March.

Thanks in advance.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Thanks for offering up your services!

I'm looking to replace the stock A/S 17s and had mentioned the Kumho Ecsta MX to you in another thread. For $200 or less per tire, can anything beat it and justify the extra coin?

I don't want to cheap out on tires, but I don't want to overspend just to get a better name brand.

I want the best dry performance possible and solid in the wet since I'm here in PDX. This will be a Spring/Summer and Fall tire, I'll go back to the A/S for November-March.

Thanks in advance.

The Kumho has been around for a while now and people love them. They'll give you excellent dry traction that still has some rain ability. The only real knock on them is noise (but anything in this class is going to make noise), and some guys think they're not the most stable tire in a hard corner.

I can't remember what I suggested in the other thread, but the other tires in this class at a reasonable price that still have some rain traction would be the Bridgestone RE-01R, Hankook Z212 (RS2), or BFG KD, which IMO is horrendously overpriced. I have actually never seen an RE-01R in person, but I do plan on buying a set for the factory 16's to go beat the crap out of on Sunday afternoons. I am personally a big fan of Bridgestone, I just feel their products are super premium quality without being ridiculously priced (read: Michelin). Most of the Potenza lineup as of January 1st actually had a big price reduction, too. Traditionally their stuff has a very stiff sidewall which means great turn in and stability, with the expense of getting a bit skittish on a bumpy track or road. Unlike the other two (which are Korean), these are made in Japan.

I used the Hankooks last summer for about four months. They were a very solid tire and had zero issues in the wet. They're in the middle of the Kumho and Bridgestone (again assuming on the RE-01R but I would be amazed if it didn't have a rock for a sidewall) in terms of stiffness so they might be better suited to a daily driver.

In all honesty, you'll probably be happy with any of them. The differences between most tires in each class is splitting hairs... One does something very well while another tire does another thing very well. If you've never used a tire of this caliber before, they'll all blow you away at the sheer grip they provide. If the Bridgestone was $20 more a tire, I'd probably go that route. $40.... I'd stick with one of the other two.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
would i rub if i put BFgoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 235/40/18? and how great are these tires because i hear they are amazing at traction(i need alot of dry traction)(i heard the bf goodrichs are fatter tires than most like their 225's are like everyone elses 235's) all around on my car with the OZ ultraleggera's (18x8 et45) and the neuspeed springs, because i want the most tire i can fit on the rim without rubbing and without looking stupid, i think i will be alright as i got some help on this but you are specialized in this area and you have a drop so you would know better...thanks for any help

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
would i rub if i put BFgoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 235/40/18? and how great are these tires because i hear they are amazing at traction(i need alot of dry traction)(i heard the bf goodrichs are fatter tires than most like their 225's are like everyone elses 235's) all around on my car with the OZ ultraleggera's (18x8 et45) and the neuspeed springs, because i want the most tire i can fit on the rim without rubbing and without looking stupid, i think i will be alright as i got some help on this but you are specialized in this area and you have a drop so you would know better...thanks for any help

It'll probably rub on bumps. That tire is wider and taller than what I am running, and even my setup rubs the left rear on a big bump. I do have 3mm less offset, but I have some camber to make up for it. The KDW2 IS very wide for it's size, so that hurts clearance even more. If you're dead set on that tire, I would run the 225 to be safe. If you don't mind rubbing every once in a while, the 235 will be fine, but I really don't think the 235 will be rub free.

my07blkgti

I'll do it!!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It'll probably rub on bumps. That tire is wider and taller than what I am running, and even my setup rubs the left rear on a big bump. I do have 3mm less offset, but I have some camber to make up for it. The KDW2 IS very wide for it's size, so that hurts clearance even more. If you're dead set on that tire, I would run the 225 to be safe. If you don't mind rubbing every once in a while, the 235 will be fine, but I really don't think the 235 will be rub free.

thanks your the man:thumbsup: , so i guess i will save some money also getting the 225's

NewaveRide

LOLOMGWTFEUROVERATED
Car(s)
07 VW Rabbit 2-door
i need a tire fitment to be mounted onto the head of my penis, what size do you suggest?

id say something fairly small

OOOOOOHHHHH:eyebulge: :eyebulge:

i still love ya :drinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.