GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Online Voice Control

AndyP83

After endless issues with SW updates on my VW Golf, the dealership is still unable to get the enhanced Voice Control working. At present Voice control functionality is basic. I'm unable to adjust climate control via Voice control as it states this function is not available. I have registered for we connect and account appears to have all other features working correctly. Has anyone experienced this and identified the fix?

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
My voice control has never worked fully as it should and has been reported for them to have a look at when it goes in next month for other software problems/updates. I am unlikely to use it much so don't really care too much about it but I would rather it worked as intended.

AndyP83

I agree, I'll probably never use it although as you say, the car should work as advertised. I also have an issue with Alexa, it won't get past the loading screen when I launch the app. VW don't appear to be very knowledgeable about what features/functions the mk8 golf has and don't fill me with confidence regarding a fix

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree, I'll probably never use it although as you say, the car should work as advertised. I also have an issue with Alexa, it won't get past the loading screen when I launch the app. VW don't appear to be very knowledgeable about what features/functions the mk8 golf has and don't fill me with confidence regarding a fix
To use Alexa you need to have an active data subscription with Cubic Telecom.

Pinocchio

Passed Driver's Ed
To use Alexa you need to have an active data subscription with Cubic Telecom.

You do not need an active with Cubic Telecom for Alexa to work. If your phone allows, set it as personal hotspot, connect your car and Alexa works perfectly fine.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
You do not need an active with Cubic Telecom for Alexa to work. If your phone allows, set it as personal hotspot, connect your car and Alexa works perfectly fine.
I stand corrected. :) Basically the car needs an internet connection for Alexa to work.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought it was strange (and very wrong) if VW were trying to insist on a particular internet provider because I think it would get them into very hot water. Having said that my Alexa has never worked even though one of the screens says I have Alexa until 2030 I think. I'll try the hotspot you mention Pinocchio.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Since I haven’t got a subscription to Cubic Telecom I thought I would try the hotspot route to access Alexa as suggested by Pinocchio. Problem is the car won’t give me a code to enter into the Amazon website. The circle thing just spins and spins.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I think the reason I can’t get a code to operate Alexa is because, despite what has been said on this thread, I have to subscribe to Cubic Telecom. I did manage to access Alexa, occasionally, when I first bought the car but I gather that was a one month free subscription.

Pinocchio

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the reason I can’t get a code to operate Alexa is because, despite what has been said on this thread, I have to subscribe to Cubic Telecom. I did manage to access Alexa, occasionally, when I first bought the car but I gather that was a one month free subscription.
Subscription to Cubic Telecom,has nothing to do with Alexa. Alexa is free on the MK8 Golf. You need an internet connection,whether it be Personal Hotspot through your phone, connecting to your house wifi or using Cubic Telecom. I got access code when connected to my phone and had no problem activating Alexa this way.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
I would have to agree, even though I haven't tried the hotspot solution yet, that it would be counter intuative for VW to insist on users taking out an internet data subscrition with Cubic. I do have a dual SIM phone with a data package but have never checked if the car is seeing my data SIM. I thought (probably wrongly), that having a Bluetooth connection would be all that I needed but I guess that I need to go the extra mile and make sure that the car is seeing the data connection or something like that. Never had this sort of thing before with my previous Mercs or Volvo but VW seem to do so many things differently. I will try again the next time I have the time to fiddle with it or, as it is going in to the Dealers later this month for a software update, leave it for them to sort it out. Irrespective of all that it makes perfect sense that as long as an internet connection is available and seen by the car (and an Alexa registration is valid), it shouldn't matter who is the data provider.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Subscription to Cubic Telecom,has nothing to do with Alexa. Alexa is free on the MK8 Golf. You need an internet connection,whether it be Personal Hotspot through your phone, connecting to your house wifi or using Cubic Telecom. I got access code when connected to my phone and had no problem activating Alexa this way.
Interestingly I got a code when I first bought the car and could use Alexa for a while. I guess there must be a problem with the car. Well there’s a surprise! Not!

Pinocchio

Passed Driver's Ed
Alexa is owned by amazon, so you have to sign into your amazon account to imput the code which then activates alexa on your car.
It's the same for itunes.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Alexa is owned by amazon, so you have to sign into your amazon account to imput the code which then activates alexa on your car.
It's the same for itunes.
I just had another go at getting Alexa to work again before your latest comment (I hate failing to get something to work). This time it eventunately came up with a 6 letter code which I entered in my account on Amazon’s website using my iPhone. The infotainment screen then showed examples of what I can ask Alexa. I asked away. Nothing! Alexa is either deaf or daft! After a while a message appeared saying something like “Alexa currently unavailable“.

On reflection why bother with Alexa. With CarPlay I can, by pressing the talk button on the steering wheel, ask the same sort questions I would ask Alexa and get a reply from Apple’s Siri.