GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Only 80% charge added

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
When my Golf eHybrid is out of electricity and therefore running on petrol, the next time I smart charge I never get more than an 80% added (11kWh) according to my ev.energy app. Why is this? I would expect 100% to be added from empty.

I have contacted ev.energy who supply the app which indicates 80% added, and they have checked things at their end see no limits. Their response was: "It is quite common for many EVs to only charge to 80% as default to protect the battery lifespan. I would check the app for the target charge level and then the vehicle for any settings regarding battery life".

Any ideas here?

Thanks,
Vic

CH47AV8R

No ev expert, but I read somewhere that the default nature was 80% for charging unless you wanted to manually override to preserve battery life. I.e. you needed that extra 20% for a trip or something.
Much more critical for pure electric I'd think?

It's probably in the best interest of your battery to only ever go to 80%.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
When my Golf eHybrid is out of electricity and therefore running on petrol, the next time I smart charge I never get more than an 80% added (11kWh) according to my ev.energy app. Why is this? I would expect 100% to be added from empty.

I have contacted ev.energy who supply the app which indicates 80% added, and they have checked things at their end see no limits. Their response was: "It is quite common for many EVs to only charge to 80% as default to protect the battery lifespan. I would check the app for the target charge level and then the vehicle for any settings regarding battery life".

Any ideas here?

Thanks,
Vic
Is the charge indicator in the car showing 100%? I've noticed that even when the car shows 0% battery, it takes less than 11kwh to fully charge, so
I think it holds charge in reserve. eHybrid with a 'flat' battery runs like a mild hybrid and still gives better mpg than petrol or diesel alone.

m4in

Go Kart Newbie

Any ideas here?

Thanks,
Vic

Your eHybrid is never "out of electricity", an EV (including phEVs) battery always reserves the bottom 20%. You can't discharge the last 20%, since that would irreparably damage the battery (by destroying the electrolyte).

10-11kWh is virtually exactly how much it should charge from 0% indicated (which is still 20% left in the battery) to 100%.

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you all for your replies. I am much clearer now about what is going on. I would just like to say what a great car it is.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Your battery has a capacity of 13kWh but only has 10.9kWh available, so 11kKh is a round up figure. On the dash you can scroll through to find the battery level display which, when fully charged, will show 100%.