GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P00AF00 Wastegate

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Had my car sitting for a week and after driving it for a bit today I got an EPC light for "P00AF00 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Module Performance static"

Code pops up everytime the car is turned off and on again. I have an IS38 with the IS20 wastegate actuator on there now, it's been running well for the past 8 months or so.

Should I bother with a new actuator or swap back the IS20 and take to the dealer?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have VCDS or OBD11? Our cars throw that code when the wastegate is throwing a voltage beyond what the ECU is happy with. Check to see what your reading for charge pressure acknowledgement is. Ideally ,you're looking for a value around 3.55-3.6v.

Though if it was running fine up until now it might very well be the case that your locking nut came loose.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
OBD11, it was reading 2.817V upon startup and now 0.962V during driving.

Initially I had it set around 3.4V and all was good. Strange how it came undone.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Yeah I didn’t think so either, I put my hand back there to feel the locking nut and nothing seems loose. Not sure what I should do at this point.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
OBD11, it was reading 2.817V upon startup and now 0.962V during driving.

Initially I had it set around 3.4V and all was good. Strange how it came undone.
That is20 actuator is a cooper and it doesn't get set to 3.4 volts like the mahle actuator found on most is38s. Almost no point in looking at voltage when setting that actuator

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
That is20 actuator is a cooper and it doesn't get set to 3.4 volts like the mahle actuator found on most is38s. Almost no point in looking at voltage when setting that actuator

So in this case what would this code mean? Should I get the hammer out ?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
For me that code translated to "stuck" and was thrown when the ECU commanded the WG to close, but it physically couldn't, resulting in P00AF-Stuck. If you're on an IS38, you need to double check the wastegate physically, like Diggs said. Physically pull the actuator arm in and out, and make sure it returns to the close position by itself after you pull it out and let go. In other words, make sure it isn't binding and nothing is preventing movement. Take the DP off and make sure the WG flap looks ok like Diggs said, too.

It may be a bit different with the IS20 actuator though. I seem to recall something about it not being fully closed when power is off, only when the motor is running. Something about, if you're trying to set the acknowlegement voltage, you actually have to have the engine running to do it properly. In other words, it's a pain in the ass compared to the IS38 actuator.

Anyway, if everything checks out best you can tell, then try to re-run the wastegate adaptation and see if it helps.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
So I noticed the actuator is loose, looks like I’m missing a bolt securing the actuator somehow...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For me that code translated to "stuck" and was thrown when the ECU commanded the WG to close, but it physically couldn't, resulting in P00AF-Stuck. If you're on an IS38, you need to double check the wastegate physically, like Diggs said. Physically pull the actuator arm in and out, and make sure it returns to the close position by itself after you pull it out and let go. In other words, make sure it isn't binding and nothing is preventing movement. Take the DP off and make sure the WG flap looks ok like Diggs said, too.

It may be a bit different with the IS20 actuator though. I seem to recall something about it not being fully closed when power is off, only when the motor is running. Something about, if you're trying to set the acknowlegement voltage, you actually have to have the engine running to do it properly. In other words, it's a pain in the ass compared to the IS38 actuator.

Anyway, if everything checks out best you can tell, then try to re-run the wastegate adaptation and see if it helps.

So what does it mean when the EPC light comes on and it's the P00AF code but it's only done it about 6 times in several thousand miles and only when I have to abruptly lift the throttle after accelerating somewhat aggressively?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Got some M6 bolts with locking washers and loctite. I'm still scratching my head as to how I lost one bolt, must've vibrated itself out. This sure was a pain in the ass to do with the turbo still on the car.

Voltage showed as 3.5V and adaptation passed successfully. Back to boosting :cool:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So what does it mean when the EPC light comes on and it's the P00AF code but it's only done it about 6 times in several thousand miles and only when I have to abruptly lift the throttle after accelerating somewhat aggressively?

Sounds like it isn't opening quick enough for the ECU's liking for some reason? I would do the same things I suggested above, make completely sure everything is tight and the arm moves free of obstruction. Double check acknowledgement. If everything checks out you may need to try swapping actuators.

Got some M6 bolts with locking washers and loctite. I'm still scratching my head as to how I lost one bolt, must've vibrated itself out. This sure was a pain in the ass to do with the turbo still on the car.

Voltage showed as 3.5V and adaptation passed successfully. Back to boosting :cool:

That's fantastic! Nice work.