GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Paint peeling on inside of front fender liner

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
I've noticed the paint has started peeking off on the inside of my front driver's side fender right where it tucks into the wheel arch. It is only on the drivers side. Any help would be great :)

My wheel alignment is good, and my car isn't totally bagged. It's on H&R coilovers.
15912236278342588907264275391530.jpg
15912236489236921938285118785981.jpg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Help on why it's peeling?

Has that fender ever been replaced?

That is the drive wheel so wheel hop might have taken it off. I'm not bagged either but I get some rubbing on dips with my spacers.

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
Help on why it's peeling?

Has that fender ever been replaced?

That is the drive wheel so wheel hop might have taken it off. I'm not bagged either but I get some rubbing on dips with my spacers.
I've noticed on that wheel there is some scoring on the top of the sidewall right where it folds over to the part of the tire that contacts the road.

What can I do to prevent any rust issues from coming up. I would like to deal with it well before winter.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Get a touch up paint pen and touch it up.

To keep it from rubbing you can
  • Raise the car
  • Roll the fender
  • Run more negative camber
  • Higher offset wheel/smaller spacer

MK6_604

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a touch up paint pen and touch it up.

To keep it from rubbing you can
  • Raise the car
  • Roll the fender
  • Run more negative camber
  • Higher offset wheel/smaller spacer
I'm gonna start with touching it up and seeing if it continues or if it was just a one off thing. Thank you.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
yeah that looks like a car thats been driven over some dirt/gravel in its life - or like gijoewoz said...

Somebody was doing burnouts on a dirt road during some point in that car's life.

Honestly for where it is, forget the touch up paint pen and just find a black spray can that might sort of match and a 2k clear. No one will be looking at your inner fenders to see if the paint matches.
Make sure to mask the rest of the car off from overspray, and sand down/spray that area over again. You can probably get away with only painting that lower lip if you get to it before the chips crack any real paint visible on the exterior. Top the color with some clear and while it may not match perfectly, again its barely visible and the cracks won't continue.