GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion
Nice build, I pulled the trigger last spring (before the 9xxx series Intel chips launched) and ended up with a pretty similar spec:

Case- Fractal Define C

Fans- 2x Noctua NF-P14s intake, 1x Noctua S12A exhaust

PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS

Ram- G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 3000 MHz C15 x2 (RAM prices at that time were double what they are now, hence staying with 2x8GB)

SSD- Western Digital Black NVMe 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB (from 2013!) + 2x2TB WD Red HDD

GPU- Nvidia RTX 2070 Founders Edition (with Nvidia employee discount from relative)

Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus with Noctua NF-F12 fan

CPU - i7 8700k, stock clocks until heatsink upgrade

Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H

A few things like the GPU and NVMe drive are more recent upgrades.

Monitor: Dell SG2716DG 27" 1440p 144Hz G-SYNC

The trigger finger is currently hovering over:

Cooler - Noctua NH-U14S

SSD - Intel 660p 2TB for bulk storage, to move the spinning disks to my secondary PC

RAM - 32GB kit
Great list! RAM is dirt cheap right now. I got a 32GB kit of G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz for $215 a little over a month ago. That same kit is $200 now and the 3000Mhz kit was like $165 last time I looked.
The most recent parts I've picked up are a Cryorig H5 Ultimate cooler and a CableMod RMx Essentials PSU cable kit.
Still missing the CPU, mobo, case and keyboard.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What kind of resolution you running where a 2070 isn't sufficient? I'm typically on a ~2-3 year GPU upgrade cycle as well, core components roughly every 6 years.

The 2070 is really good for the monitor I have now, which is a 29" ultrawide 1080p 75hz. I want to upgrade to like a 34" curved ultrawide 1440p 120+hz, and I have a feeling the 2070 will struggle to hit the fps I want. I'll likely buy a 4k tv as well, to upgrade from my 1080p tv, and I use my tv as a 2nd monitor all the time.

I played a bit of Division 2 and the highest fps I was seeing was like 90, and some areas it was holding right at 60 fps.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Great list! RAM is dirt cheap right now. I got a 32GB kit of G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz for $215 a little over a month ago. That same kit is $200 now and the 3000Mhz kit was like $165 last time I looked.
The most recent parts I've picked up are a Cryorig H5 Ultimate cooler and a CableMod RMx Essentials PSU cable kit.

Ram still isnt as cheap as it was in the good ol days before the ram shortage happened...
I just picked up a vive and am having a bit of fun with that.

torga

Autocross Champion
Ram still isnt as cheap as it was in the good ol days before the ram shortage happened...
I just picked up a vive and am having a bit of fun with that.

They're definitely on a price drop trend right now. I expect prices to go even lower. Kinda regretting buying RAM so early since I haven't even built the PC yet, but ah well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dunno how I feel about VR stuff yet

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Yeah the CPU decision space is kinda tough right now, and finding the right case isn't trivial either.

On the CPU end, it really depends what the Ryzen 3xxx series chips look like when they launch, AMD is really giving Intel a run for their money. I can't recommend an Intel CPU at the sub-$300 price point, Ryzen is just a much better value at that level. Above $300, yes of course Intel chips are faster.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah the CPU decision space is kinda tough right now, and finding the right case isn't trivial either.

On the CPU end, it really depends what the Ryzen 3xxx series chips look like when they launch, AMD is really giving Intel a run for their money. I can't recommend an Intel CPU at the sub-$300 price point, Ryzen is just a much better value at that level. Above $300, yes of course Intel chips are faster.
It took all of my willpower to not buy a Ryzen 5 2600X with Division 2 and WWZ the other day. Newegg had it for $175 and since I don't care about those games, that would've been a $115-135 CPU after selling them.
But I really want to wait and see if the 3xxx chips are going to be that much better, or if there will be crazy sales on the R7 2700X.
Right now, I'm split between an i7-9700K and an AMD chip.

torga

Autocross Champion
I have the chance to trade up my EVGA 1060 6gb for an EVGA 1660 Ti, plus $100. I'm kinda leaning towards doing it. The 1660 Ti can handle a lot of games on 1440p Ultra settings, or literally anything on 1080p.

I paid $160 for my 1060, so that makes it a $260 1660 Ti.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I have the chance to trade up my EVGA 1060 6gb for an EVGA 1660 Ti, plus $100. I'm kinda leaning towards doing it. The 1660 Ti can handle a lot of games on 1440p Ultra settings, or literally anything on 1080p.

I paid $160 for my 1060, so that makes it a $260 1660 Ti.

I would do it, the 1660 Ti is a better performing card and honestly selling the 1060 and then buying a higher graphics card would be more of a pain down the road.

My PC rig is temporarily in a cabinet (fully functional) until I get a new motherboard. The external power supply I was using on my SFF build wasnt supplying enough power to my GPU anymore and the integrated case controls started having problems with doing automatic resets from windows.

torga

Autocross Champion
Really good point about trying to hawk the 1060 a couple years down the road. That just made me lean more.

Although, there's also a very tempting wheel setup that I could snipe as well. A Thrustmaster TMX pro with a custom built rig (2x4/2x6 plus an RX-8 seat) and various mods, including a conical brake, pedal springs and a few others.... all for $250. Very tempting.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Really good point about trying to hawk the 1060 a couple years down the road. That just made me lean more.

Although, there's also a very tempting wheel setup that I could snipe as well. A Thrustmaster TMX pro with a custom built rig (2x4/2x6 plus an RX-8 seat) and various mods, including a conical brake, pedal springs and a few others.... all for $250. Very tempting.

Up to you, matters how much you like racing games aha.
I used to have a logitech g920 with manual shifter.
Pretty fun but didnt use it often and it takes up quite a bit of space.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Thought I'd drop a pic of my build for you guys. PC building became my hobby while I was in NYC without a car :(

torga

Autocross Champion
Damn, SLI cards and cooled by none other than blue alien tiddy milk! That thing probably screams.

Scored a 2TB Caviar Black HDD for $20 this past weekend. I plan on using it for cold storage purposes.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
Ive been looking at making a new PC as my current one is having issues thanks to the CPU.
im running an ivory bridge i5 and while the GTX970 GPU works for what i need the CPU has been lack luster in performance.