GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

PC Building

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
No compatibility issues what so ever.
Nvidia works just as well with both intel and AMD.
AMD CPU with AMD GPU have some additional perks especially if your running low spec gpu and an APU.
But otherwise those things are meaningless and dont benefit 99.9% of customers.

Whats happening with your i5?
The 2550K is still a fairly good chip especially in single threaded performance. Even better if you OC it a bit.

Youll definitely benefit a bit by going with a new chip but thats mostly gonna be benefits from more cores for multithreaded applications and updated chipset (ie more PCIE lanes).

an i5 2550K with a gtx 970 is still fairly decent, especially for 1080p gaming.
The chip is like 8 years old now and the mother board is...ok
DD3 1600--16GB Ram

Idk i just cant run assassins creed odyssey on it without significant delays and like..medium setting only getting 20-24 fps.

NewGuy1

Ready to race!
The chip is like 8 years old now and the mother board is...ok
DD3 1600--16GB Ram

Idk i just cant run assassins creed odyssey on it without significant delays and like..medium setting only getting 20-24 fps.
ah assassins creed engine is pretty un-optimized but you should be doing a bit better than that.
I would get some benchmarks going to see if its your cpu or gpu holding you back. (To see which item is being 100% utilized)
From quick google gtx 970 should be closer to 40 FPS avg on high.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
ah assassins creed engine is pretty un-optimized but you should be doing a bit better than that.
I would get some benchmarks going to see if its your cpu or gpu holding you back. (To see which item is being 100% utilized)
From quick google gtx 970 should be closer to 40 FPS avg on high.
I did and the CPU was holding me back.
blah

torga

Drag Race Newbie
I can't comment on Linux gaming.

For Prime Day, I was surprised to see that one of my wish list items actually got a discount - I scored a Logitech MX Master 2S mouse for only $40 (was $72).

I also took a gamble and picked up a 70% keyboard from a new company called Keychron. I got their K2 model, link here. It comes with Gateron Brown switches, but you have your choice of brown, red or blue.

sterkrazzy

Go Kart Champion
For Prime Day, I was surprised to see that one of my wish list items actually got a discount - I scored a Logitech MX Master 2S mouse for only $40 (was $72).

I also took a gamble and picked up a 70% keyboard from a new company called Keychron. I got their K2 model, link here. It comes with Gateron Brown switches, but you have your choice of brown, red or blue.
I was strong and I resisted. The monitor I want that's normally like $800+ was down to $720 and and I have $70ish in points on amazon to use. Could have been a good deal. I'll wait a little bit longer and save up some more points. I'm considering buying a more expensive toy right now so trying to save my moneys.

smanierre

Go Kart Champion
I just picked up a 500gb ssd for a new linux distro as the drive I have now is soooooo slow. I've been looking around and seems like there is compatability for a good amount of games on linux and it's only getting better. If it gets good enough i'll just ditch windows all together. Also probably switching to AMD products next build as they seem to play a bit better with linux, maybe by then i'll have justification to buy a threadripper.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Those TR4 mobos are $$$$$$. There have been some great deals on the chips themselves recently.

I've committed to doing AMD for this build - I'm 90% on getting the R7 3700X, but I may entertain the 3800X.

The 3700X is neck-and-neck with, if not better than, the i7-9700K, all with a 65W TDP (9700K is 95W).
Hell, even the R5 3600X can hang with the 9700K.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
I was strong and I resisted. The monitor I want that's normally like $800+ was down to $720 and and I have $70ish in points on amazon to use. Could have been a good deal. I'll wait a little bit longer and save up some more points. I'm considering buying a more expensive toy right now so trying to save my moneys.
What are the specs on that monitor?
I've also got $70 in Amazon points and I'm about to have about $10 more. I'm gonna use them to essentially get my case for free.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
My Logitech mouse just got delivered and I love it; it's awesome.
The clicks and scrolls are really satisfying and the extra buttons and modifiers are super useful!

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
My Logitech mouse just got delivered and I love it; it's awesome.
The clicks and scrolls are really satisfying and the extra buttons and modifiers are super useful!
which one did you get?

I have the g305 and love it to death. wireless "lightspeed", yall have to try it. Literally just as good as wired, impossible to tell even in csgo.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I just picked up a 500gb ssd for a new linux distro as the drive I have now is soooooo slow. I've been looking around and seems like there is compatability for a good amount of games on linux and it's only getting better. If it gets good enough i'll just ditch windows all together. Also probably switching to AMD products next build as they seem to play a bit better with linux, maybe by then i'll have justification to buy a threadripper.
I just rebuild a datto as a nas with 256gb ssd for boot drive running linux (manjaro/arch /w deepin desktop experience) got x4 2tb spinners in raid 10 as storage. Works well enough has itx mobo /w i5 and 8gb ram. NAS is for storage for my game rig which i built a few years ago. i7, 16gb ram, x2 1tb ssd, Nvidia 1070ti in a atx case corasir graphite 600t.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

smanierre

Go Kart Champion
I just rebuild a datto as a nas with 256gb ssd for boot drive running linux (manjaro/arch /w deepin desktop experience) got x4 2tb spinners in raid 10 as storage. Works well enough has itx mobo /w i5 and 8gb ram. NAS is for storage for my game rig which i built a few years ago. i7, 16gb ram, x2 1tb ssd, Nvidia 1070ti in a atx case corasir graphite 600t.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I want a nas so badly. I want to do freelance web development eventually so that will be a good excuse to get one. Gotta back up that work :iono:. I have been slowly adding space to my gaming pc for a while now. Started off 1TB spinner, then I added a 128ssd for windows 10 boot. Now I have the 500gb coming for linux (Gonna try pop!_os), and the 250gb spinner thats in there i'll use for backups for now. I do have a 1TB external drive hooked up to my raspberry pi and setup as an SMB share that I can get to from all my devices which is nice though.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
which one did you get?

I have the g305 and love it to death. wireless "lightspeed", yall have to try it. Literally just as good as wired, impossible to tell even in csgo.
MX Master 2S. I wanted a good, wireless productivity mouse that I could use for some gaming and this is checking all my boxes.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
If anyone needs the deal, Newegg is selling the HP EX950 512GB M.2 drive for $60 today only. It can hit 3500/2200 R/W speeds.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Getting so antsy!
I want to buy car parts, but I'm planning on buying my final two PC components next month. I'll be in Dallas for a wedding, so I plan on taking advantage of Microcenter's $50 off for a CPU/mobo bundle.
I'm set on the Ryzen 7 3700X and the ASRock X570M Pro4 mobo. Hopefully they'll have both in stock within a month.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
My keyboard came in today! The keycaps feel great and the Gateron brown switches are pretty satisfying to type with.

In one week, I'll be buying my CPU and mobo. Then I'll be set to build!

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Sold my G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL 16 kit locally, then picked up a Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL 16 kit.

I purchased the 3200MHz kit when I was set on an Intel build, but I've since committed to AMD and the Zen2 chips can actually utilize 3600MHz/3733MHz RAM.

Took a small hit to sell the old kit, but the new kit was only $35 more than what I sold the old kit for.